Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 9923225 times)

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #44550 on: January 11, 2019, 11:00:04 am »
Wasn't sure if he was a cardiologist...as he gave me this advice
Workin' too hard can give you a heart attack ack, ack, ack, ack
slack

shemptiness

« Reply #44551 on: January 11, 2019, 11:17:22 am »

JohnnyBaconbitz

« Reply #44552 on: January 12, 2019, 01:10:37 am »
Meat Puppets reunion?!?!

No DC date?!?!

Punctuation marks?!?!

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #44553 on: January 12, 2019, 10:36:04 am »
Nice. They were my very first 930 club show.

« Reply #44554 on: January 13, 2019, 02:57:00 pm »
Forum favorite

Lucy Dacus
3-22
Black cat
swwweet...can't believe you scooped me on that one

Mal Blum, Fenne Lily  (???) are support
tix go on sale friday...but won't sell out right away IMO
we what do I know...Sold Out :(
kinda forgot all the hype she got with boygenius this year
Anyone runs across a tix, please let me know
slack

« Reply #44555 on: January 13, 2019, 02:58:16 pm »
Meat Puppets reunion?!?!

No DC date?!?!

Punctuation marks?!?!
So what is different from this tour, just saw them last year at Ust (and was poorly attended considering Mike watt was on the bill too)
slack

hutch

« Reply #44556 on: January 13, 2019, 03:41:55 pm »
Ugh the longtime original drummer Bostrum

Huge news

hutch

« Reply #44557 on: January 13, 2019, 08:29:47 pm »
Black Cat gave a low ticket alert on her.....maybe I forgot to post it here...

hutch

« Reply #44558 on: January 13, 2019, 08:38:14 pm »
Meat Puppets reunion?!?!

No DC date?!?!

Punctuation marks?!?!
So what is different from this tour, just saw them last year at Ust (and was poorly attended considering Mike watt was on the bill too)

well the Meat Puppets days of drawing a lot are over... part of the reason is their moment in the spotlight came and went (the Backwater song and the Nirvana Unplugged) and then they broke up for a good time..one of them had some serious issues with heroin I believe....and... the fact the Kirkwood brothers look so insane can't help (I think they might take the prize for ugliest musicians out there!).... but personally I thought they sounded great at U St Hall and the fact they will play smaller venues doesn't bother me...in fact I like it!

I would definitely see them again with Bostrom...and I'm sure they will play a show in the region at some point....

I mean most bands have cycles...they're just not going to draw the same they did at their commercial peak 25 years later!!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 08:46:07 pm by hutch »

DotTheEyes

« Reply #44559 on: January 14, 2019, 09:05:27 am »
Bryan Ferry
8/13
The Anthem

Mark_Read

« Reply #44560 on: January 14, 2019, 09:56:08 am »
The Who
Lube
5/11

« Reply #44561 on: January 14, 2019, 10:24:18 am »
Meat Puppets reunion?!?!
... but personally I thought they sounded great at U St Hall and the fact they will play smaller venues doesn't bother me...in fact I like it!
few things...
1. I did really like that show at Ust...it was more that if they couldn't pack Ust...how will the sell the club?
2. I hate to be that guy...but when 'older' bands hit the road there are some principals that make a huge difference. Like a vocalist or guitarist or songwriter or the guy who plays the fugelhorn.  But when I think of the meat pupuptes...drums don't seem to be a critical element...but whatdoIknow
slack

hutch

« Reply #44562 on: January 14, 2019, 10:46:56 am »
well they are not going to sell the club!

In fact I would be surprised if IMP books them again but what do I know... I mean as you said they did not sell that well at U St Hall and that was with Mike Watt!

The drummer... I don't know.... I kind of think those Puppets albums having just guitar bass drums so the drums are important..its pretty sparse sounding stuff on II... and there is an element of doesn't matter how much sound changes just having the three original puppets up there is cool... I do think Doug Sahm Jr was just a bit too hard hitting on the skins whereas Bostrom was more nuance but  I don't really know..

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #44563 on: January 14, 2019, 10:48:06 am »
Bryan Ferry
8/13
The Anthem
Intrigued. Anyone seen him live? How was it?
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #44564 on: January 14, 2019, 10:51:41 am »
I saw Ferry at Strathmore in 2011... I took a video you can watch on youtube of stick together

I loved it... he had Chris Spedding on guitar which was a big deal.. I think i was within first ten rows center too! and i had never seen him so it was  a big thing... I think I even nabbed a setlist.. I did fail in my attempts to get backstage although I ALMOST made it!

But it will be 8 years...

Because Roxy is getting into RRHOF maybe they are capitalizing on that... maybe he will play more Roxy tunes...

The older I get the more I listen to Roxy/Ferry... probably in my top 5 listened to acts past few years....they were so ahead of their time....listen to the first Roxy album and you hear shades of what Bowie and Eno would explore on Low.... not surprising as Eno was in the band but for 1972 the stuff is way out there
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 10:54:37 am by hutch »