Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 9926816 times)

Space Freely

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #47865 on: February 26, 2021, 12:05:54 pm »
For 20something shows, I prefer Ramy and Broad City.
Hey, Space, while we're on the top of 20-something shows, do you have any thoughts on HBO's Girls? I don't think anyone has every heard your thoughts on it.

I like that the characters/actresses seems to be female body hair positive, but that's another chick-aimed show that doesn't interest me. Maybe it's because Lena Dunham seems like such a douche.

Space Freely

« Reply #47866 on: February 26, 2021, 12:08:34 pm »
Why do people watch Emily in Paris?

Escapism

Pretty people, clothes and Paris.

But all fictional television is escapism. And most shows have pretty people.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #47867 on: February 26, 2021, 12:11:03 pm »
Why do people watch Emily in Paris?

Escapism

Pretty people, clothes and Paris.

But all fictional television is escapism. And most shows have pretty people.

Most fictional television. Emily is just the flavor of the week...

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #47868 on: February 26, 2021, 12:11:09 pm »
I am embarrassed to admit how long it took me to realize Emily in Paris, which I have not seen but was aware of at launch, was supposed to rhyme.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #47869 on: February 26, 2021, 12:16:29 pm »
Well but take cobra Kai

That show stresses me out..

And escaping there is of no interest...to me..

Dumbing down the term escapism to include anything is kind of silly..

My partner couldn’t and doesn’t make me watch something if I don’t want to.. i just walk away

vansmack

« Reply #47870 on: February 26, 2021, 01:19:12 pm »
I am embarrassed to admit how long it took me to realize Emily in Paris, which I have not seen but was aware of at launch, was supposed to rhyme.

I've got a mate who works for Netflix and we're watching a football match at a parklet one morning and we start talking about shows.  I mention that The Brand is watching Emily in "Perris" and he corrects me, it's Emily in "Paireeee" and even by the way he said it my only response was "yeah, now I'm DEFINITELY never going to watch it."
27>34

« Reply #47871 on: February 26, 2021, 01:40:22 pm »
at a parklet
ok, reminds me of the 80's dudes who had fake British accents
what is a parklet?
slack

vansmack

« Reply #47872 on: February 26, 2021, 01:45:52 pm »
what is a parklet?

In SF, we have allowed restaurants and bars to take over the parking spots in front of their businesses to use for outdoor dining and drinking.  These are probably not going away, even after the pandemic subsides...
27>34

« Reply #47873 on: February 26, 2021, 01:56:28 pm »
These are GREAT, I really think this should be more common
I got to imagine the amt of revenue a small business gets it tremendous and doesn't block the sidewalk

Personally, if I can drink outside (pre-covid) that was always my preference, even if it's chilly.
I have almost no need for TV's when I drink (or do anything outside the house)

I think Cars in cities should start being banned and you can only drive to the perimeter ...yes that would hurt a lot of small business, but you could design some shuttle service all the SMB's could use
slack

vansmack

« Reply #47874 on: February 26, 2021, 02:07:54 pm »
This is the bar I was at (you can see the TV's in the window).  He has completed the roof and added heaters.  And yes, it's way better than being inside....

27>34

« Reply #47875 on: February 26, 2021, 02:10:33 pm »
that's right across from the Tornado, right?
I think I caught a football match there in the 2010 world cup
slack

vansmack

« Reply #47876 on: February 26, 2021, 02:20:39 pm »
that's right across from the Tornado, right?
I think I caught a football match there in the 2010 world cup

No, that is Danny Coyle's (where I lived from 2010-2015) or maybe Nickies, or Mad Dog in the Fog.

This is Maggie Mcgarry's in North Beach.
27>34

« Reply #47877 on: February 26, 2021, 03:08:43 pm »
Mad Dog in the Fog.

that's it...they all kinda look the same from a distance and my eyesight is getting worse by the minute

the pic that shows up on google maps for Danny Coyle's doesn't look good, but Facebook looks like they are still alive

that place never really did it for me, but has quite the sf musical history
 Janis Joplin, The Doors, Robert Plant, Grace Slick, and The Chieftains have all performed at Maggie’s

I miss my time in north beach, just wish I had the group of friends I have in DC to make going to all those places more fun
Never been the type to make random friends at a bar
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 03:19:29 pm by Martian-hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

vansmack

« Reply #47879 on: February 26, 2021, 03:54:02 pm »

the pic that shows up on google maps for Danny Coyle's doesn't look good, but Facebook looks like they are still alive

That photo was pre-parklet.  It's much nicer now and yes they are going strong. 

that place never really did it for me, but has quite the sf musical history
 Janis Joplin, The Doors, Robert Plant, Grace Slick, and The Chieftains have all performed at Maggie’s

I miss my time in north beach, just wish I had the group of friends I have in DC to make going to all those places more fun

Right before Covid, George Thurgood came in with his daughter after wandering around NB looking for "that place I played when I was passing through SF" to tell the story of the night he played Maggies.  That stuff just happens in that place....

Never been the type to make random friends at a bar

But random message board people are fine...

I love bars.  I learn much more about any place I'm visiting from meeting people in bars than I do anywhere else...
27>34