Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 9922743 times)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #49905 on: September 13, 2021, 10:47:03 am »
What does IMP gain by having the Foo Fighters as a "Surprise" as IMP likes to market it as if this show was a guaranteed sell out planned in advance (as I have been told)?
What exactly are you asking? What do they get from announcing it last minute vs announcing it 6 weeks out?

What's difficult to understand? Why does IMP market the Foos as a "surprise" when IMP booked the band in advance? Do they get to mark up the tickets? Wondering why IMP chooses to do this. From what I was told, it's not like IMP and the Foos agreed to do this at the last moment.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 10:48:48 am by Thousand Made-Up Loves »

Yada

« Reply #49906 on: September 13, 2021, 10:57:39 am »
What does IMP gain by having the Foo Fighters as a "Surprise" as IMP likes to market it as if this show was a guaranteed sell out planned in advance (as I have been told)?
What exactly are you asking? What do they get from announcing it last minute vs announcing it 6 weeks out?

What's difficult to understand? Why does IMP market the Foos as a "surprise" when IMP booked the band in advance? Do they get to mark up the tickets? Wondering why IMP chooses to do this. From what I was told, it's not like IMP and the Foos agreed to do this at the last moment.

Wut.

Space Freely

« Reply #49907 on: September 13, 2021, 11:02:43 am »

If it helps IMP make more money and doesn't hurt anyone, why shouldn't they do it?

Yada

« Reply #49908 on: September 13, 2021, 11:18:27 am »

If it helps IMP make more money and doesn't hurt anyone, why shouldn't they do it?

The mark up tickets comment makes zero sense.

Whether this was announced three months ago or the day before, someone would've bought tickets for whatever the cost was/is. To be honest, I bet IMP could've charged $200 a ticket and the Foo homers still would've lapped it up.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #49909 on: September 13, 2021, 11:21:18 am »
Yeah, I think it was just to create buzz and excitement. They had "everybody" talking, refreshing, speculating. Its all anyone could think about for days. All 9:30 content all the time. It was an exhausting, emotional journey. We fell in love with the club again. And when Grohl nailed the falsetto in "You should be dancin'", our collective crescendo peaked, and we realized we were back. All of us, together again.

Then we went home and watched the news.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #49910 on: September 13, 2021, 11:35:05 am »
Yeah, I think it was just to create buzz and excitement. They had "everybody" talking, refreshing, speculating. Its all anyone could think about for days. All 9:30 content all the time. It was an exhausting, emotional journey. We fell in love with the club again. And when Grohl nailed the falsetto in "You should be dancin'", our collective crescendo peaked, and we realized we were back. All of us, together again.

This post is amazing.
LVMH

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #49911 on: September 13, 2021, 04:32:00 pm »

When did I say IMP shouldn't do it? Just wondering why it does this. OMG, how dare anyone here question Almighty Seth and IMP!

Yada

« Reply #49912 on: September 13, 2021, 04:33:27 pm »

When did I say IMP shouldn't do it? Just wondering why it does this. OMG, how dare anyone here question Almighty Seth and IMP!

I'm not, not questioning seth and don't care what he does... what I'm saying is all of the factors you brought up, how does it matter when it was announced and what price the show is/was? Doesn't matter.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #49913 on: September 13, 2021, 04:34:24 pm »

Thank you for the somewhat honest explanation. I just wondered if IMP really had booked the Foos as a surprise, like it was a last minute arrangement, or if they had made this arrangement weeks in advance, but simply marketed it as a surprise.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #49914 on: September 13, 2021, 04:37:14 pm »
I'm not, not questioning seth and don't care what he does... what I'm saying is all of the factors you brought up, how does it matter when it was announced and what price the show is/was? Doesn't matter.

Clearly it matters to IMP for some reason if it is marketing a show as a SURPRISE AT THE CLUB when it actually booked the show weeks in advance. To those of us without our heads shoved up our asses, we wonder why IMP would market such a show as a SURPRISE AT THE CLUB when it could have announced the show as normal weeks in advance.

I was genuinely curious as to why IMP would choose this approach. What a mistake, next time I'll avoid such a situation.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 04:38:50 pm by Thousand Made-Up Loves »

Yada

« Reply #49915 on: September 13, 2021, 04:39:45 pm »

Clearly it matters to IMP for some reason if it is marketing a show as a SURPRISE AT THE CLUB when it actually booked the show weeks in advance. To those of us without our heads shoved up our asses, we wonder why IMP would market such a show as a SURPRISE AT THE CLUB when it could have announced the show as normal weeks in advance.

I was genuinely curious as to why IMP would choose this approach. What a mistake, next time I'll avoid such a situation.

Noted.

Space Freely

« Reply #49916 on: September 13, 2021, 04:41:12 pm »

Isn't it all about generating buzz for the casual consumer?  While they have your attention, maybe you'll check out what else is on their schedule. Maybe you do that less if the tickets went on sale six weeks prior.

« Reply #49917 on: September 13, 2021, 04:47:32 pm »

with ernest I'm trying to follow what you are getting at, and I can't make heads or tails
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #49918 on: September 13, 2021, 04:57:35 pm »

Hey now! Leave Ernest outta this!

twangirl

« Reply #49919 on: September 13, 2021, 05:26:34 pm »

People, "Surprise! At the Club!" is a tagline that has been used in 9:30 Club ads since the early 1990s at least, probably started late 1980s after Seth and Rich bought the club, when acts that would normally play much bigger places instead do an underplay at the Club. It has nothing to do with ticket price, or when the show was actually booked, or even when it is announced. Big act in a small room, that is the surprise.