Author Topic: NHL Playoffs Thread...  (Read 237009 times)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: NHL Playoffs Thread...
« Reply #255 on: June 04, 2008, 12:50:00 pm »
I apologize for my absence, some of us actually attend hockey games which requires travel time and working to pay for tickets, as opposed to sitting on ones ass and cheering for a shitty second-tier hockey team which requires nothing but alot of alcohol in one's system.

I said it before and I'll say it again: this series was over before it began. The Penguins have been outplayed in every game this series, and yet since hockey involves an element of luck and bounces, they managed to get two "wins." Good for them. They're still going to lose, they're still a historical footnote, and they're still not in the same league as the elite teams in the West. Pittsburgh's finals MVP at this point is Rob Scuderi's face for heaven's sake.

It's over. In fact, it never really started -- the series is not, and never has been in doubt. Detroit 11, Pittsburgh 2.

« Reply #256 on: June 04, 2008, 12:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  the whining continues:

Wings coach Babcock questions officiating, takes shot at Pens coach Therrien

First, everyone on earth said those two goaltender interference calls were garbage including all the announcers, Don Cherry, etc, etc, as opposed to Michel Therrien's complaints who were seconded by no one not wearing a Pittsburgh sweater.

Second, if you read the article you linked to, Babcock was asked for his opinion, and declined to give it twice before the reporter basically said, "No one cares what we think about it, we don't have much of a story without you opening your mouth." He then agreed with what everyone and their mother already said. Not exactly the same level as whining as the Frenchy McKnickersinabunch.

manimtired

« Reply #257 on: June 04, 2008, 12:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by Julian, certified WEBLEBRITY:

the whining continues:

First, everyone on earth said those two goaltender interference calls were garbage including all the announcers, Don Cherry, etc, etc, as opposed to Michel Therrien's complaints who were seconded by no one not wearing a Pittsburgh sweater.

Second, if you read the article you linked to, Babcock was asked for his opinion, and declined to give it twice before the reporter basically said, "No one cares what we think about it, we don't have much of a story without you opening your mouth." He then agreed with what everyone and their mother already said. Not exactly the same level as whining as the Frenchy McKnickersinabunch. [/b]
why arent you going to the game tonight? would you like to join me at a local bar and watch it? b/c you sound like a ton of fun to watch a game with.

« Reply #258 on: June 04, 2008, 01:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by manimtired:
   would you like to join me at a local bar and watch it? b/c you sound like a ton of fun to watch a game with.
Well, I don't live in the District; I'm in metro Richmond. But if you'd like to drive down here, you're more then welcome to watch this at my house with the 5-6 other people who are congregating for the game. HDTV and all the gin you can down.

PM me for directions. During the intermissions we can discuss how best to defeat Barack Obama, er um, I mean, elect John McCain.

grotty

« Reply #259 on: June 04, 2008, 01:02:00 pm »

the whining continues:

Second, if you read the article you linked to, Babcock was asked for his opinion, and declined to give it twice before the reporter basically said, "No one cares what we think about it, we don't have much of a story without you opening your mouth." He then agreed with what everyone and their mother already said. Not exactly the same level as whining as the Frenchy McKnickersinabunch. [/b]
1) Does the rule book state clearly that those are penalties? Yes or No. [it does]

The announcers agreed they were penalties by the book - BUT that the rule was bad & should be changed. I agree.

2) Did the Pens score on either of those penalties to determine the game?

3) Why weren't Wings fans whining when Oz benefited from some interference penalties early in the series & AND clearly exaggerated to get them? (for which he has a reputation.)

« Reply #260 on: June 04, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by i'm her slave:
I was unaware a call was terrible, and out of line with how every ref has called it all season ONLY if the ensuing power-play is scored upon.

You don't think the fact that in both situations the Wings were flying high with momentum and piling on scoring chances and instead of an offensive zone faceoff, they get a penalty ebbs their flow a bit? I'm not an idiot and going to say if those are called differently then the final score is different, but it definitely affects the game. A few minutes after the Cleary penalty, you could see Maltby crashing the net and stop way out of position, no doubt out of fear of getting another bogus goal-tender interference call.

grotty

« Reply #261 on: June 04, 2008, 01:16:00 pm »

I was unaware a call was terrible, and out of line with how every ref has called it all season ONLY if the ensuing power-play is scored upon.

You don't think the fact that in both situations the Wings were flying high with momentum and piling on scoring chances and instead of an offensive zone faceoff, they get a penalty ebbs their flow a bit? I'm not an idiot and going to say if those are called differently then the final score is different, but it definitely affects the game. A few minutes after the Cleary penalty, you could see Maltby crashing the net and stop way out of position, no doubt out of fear of getting another bogus goal-tender interference call. [/b]
I'm not going to get into a huge discussion about penalties & refs in this series or game. They've been no better or worse than normal

It's hockey: THEY ARE NEVER GOOD. You of all people should know that.

The only person to significantly dictate that result was Fleury.

We'd much rather hear about your experiences at the game.

« Reply #262 on: June 04, 2008, 01:32:00 pm »
  We'd much rather hear about your experiences at the game.
It was ebb and flow, emotionally. The Wings came out looking nervous and didn't start well and when Kronwall own-goaled it to make it 2-0, the place was kinda flat. Then by the start of the 3rd, there was a general sense that this game was going the way most of the series had went (Penguins play best in the 1st, Wings play progressively better in 2nd and 3rd) and that we were going to come back. The Datsyuk and Rafalski goals sent the place riotous. The "We Want the Cup" chant was pretty loud, and it started to feel like it was over, but I remembered distinctly Anaheim last year and Nashville this year so I knew we had a penchant for getting scored on once the goalie was pulled. The cheapy by Osgood deflated the place. It was like being extrememly hyped up on adrenaline then nothing.

That said, the excitement continued to build all first OT as we dominated play but never could slide one in. Emotions got tempered during the intermission break. 2nd OT was kinda the same but about 8 minutes in I remember turning and saying, "We're going to keep the barrage on Fleury and they're going to get one decent look and score on it." Sure enough, it did.

It felt much later then it really was once it was over because the 3-4 hours immediately proceeding were spent standing up to try and get a little better view only to sit down again. Must have happened 100 times.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #263 on: June 04, 2008, 08:27:00 pm »
Dear NBC4 Weather Plus,

I do believe that by now we are aware there is severe in the area.  

Take that huge ticker on the top of the screen and shove it!

thanks
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #264 on: June 04, 2008, 08:40:00 pm »
thank goods for instant replay   :roll:
T.Rex

grotty

« Reply #265 on: June 04, 2008, 11:07:00 pm »
Well that was fun. Thought we were gonna get another OT.

Always weird to watch a team celebrate AWAY. Seems diminished.

Great season by the Pens. Better season & team: the Wings. Congrats to them. They are very deserving.

manimtired

« Reply #266 on: June 04, 2008, 11:20:00 pm »
my power just got turned on in alexandria. fuck.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #267 on: June 05, 2008, 12:19:00 am »
good game - not as good as #3, 4 or 5, but still very exciting.  first period was on the sloppy side.  those last two minutes took two years off my life expectancy.

Originally posted by kosmo:
  Dear NBC4 Weather Plus,

I do believe that by now we are aware there is severe in the area.  

Take that huge ticker on the top of the screen and shove it!
OMFG that thing was annoying.  a minor riot almost broke out in the restaurant where i was watching the game.  the did an OK job

Always weird to watch a team celebrate AWAY. Seems diminished.
i was very impressed with how full the stands were throughout the post-game celebration and for the presentation of the cup.  very classy of the pitt fans.
<sig>

Staralfur25

« Reply #268 on: June 05, 2008, 03:08:00 am »
Bummer...i wanted the pens to get that goal.  sooooooooooo close.

Ikarus

« Reply #269 on: June 05, 2008, 03:37:00 am »
 i was very impressed with how full the stands were throughout the post-game celebration and for the presentation of the cup.  very classy of the pitt fans.
even if the away team wins the cup, the home fans never leave until the cup is presented.  much like post-series handshakes and taking a puck to the face and not missing a shift, this is what makes hockey a unique sport.

feelin fine about the wings (and for next year too).

how aboot clears being the first newfoondlander to win a cup, eh?

here's hoping ovvie learns some english over the summer so he can take some tv time away from that punk crosby.