Author Topic: Voodoo or Vegoose?  (Read 9881 times)

miss pretentious

• ohai.
Re: Voodoo or Vegoose?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 02:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by bnyced0:
  From one amateur consultant to a professional one, your logic is not faulty, but unfortunately you're not weighing the intangibles and only the experience itself will teach the lesson you need to know about this bad choice...but you know I wish you well, and will be thinking about your horrible evenings on the strip while we're living the vida loca on Bourbon street (well sort of).
you know... in my job, when someone tells me they are a consultant...the usually means they are unemployed   :D
nothx

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 05:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by K8teebug:
  New Orleans is way cooler than Vegas.
uh, see vansmack's comment above     :)

Originally posted by wanderlust featuring j. marshmallow:
  Ehhh, hope they don't disappoint you the 2nd time around 'coz you'll get exactly the same show. I was blown away by Muse last time during Download fest but what I got at Lolla was exactly the same thing.
won't be exactly the same, there are slight differences (listen to the O2 show - songs are even in different order).  even if it was the exact same show, i'm on board - i'd be happy to relive that.  and i seriously doubt that muse played the same set at both festivals... weren't you complaining "where are the songs"???  i wonder if this isn't a case of their songs all sounding the same to you  ;)
<sig>

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 05:09:00 pm »
I've never been there, but from what I've heard, I fail to see how Vegas is a "great city" worthy of a "proper visit". I'll be happy if I never go there.

New Orleans is pretty cool though.

vansmack

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 05:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  I've never been there, but from what I've heard, I fail to see how Vegas is a "great city" worthy of a "proper visit". I'll be happy if I never go there.

Why don't you invite all these other people that you talk with to participate on this board, because they'd have a lot more to add to these conversations than you're consistent "well, I've never_______ but from what I've heard I'd ___________" conjecture?  Maybe this board has passed you by a bit...
27>34

bnyced0

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 05:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:

both vegas and NO are indeed great cities worthy of proper visits - but it isn't going to happen much during a festival.  typical day: wake up, grab brunch, head to festival, dance ass off, possibly catch after-party, pass out, repeat.  indio is absolutely boooooring, but it can host one of the best festivals anywhere - why?  because location doesn't count for very much.  if i had extra time to kick it and check out the city my choice might be different, but with limited vacation time and budget it's fly-in fly-out.

[/b]
and my point is, those intangibles are rather limited during day-long festivals.  not absent, just limited - not enough to out-weigh a better line-up.  i plan on spending no time on the strip, with the possible exception of catching one late-night show (and/or a cirque du soleil show - TBD).  unlike yourself, i need to sleep at some point   :)  [/QB]
The intangibles in this case is that the festival is built around the evening shows, not vice versa.  

Vegoose as a festival is sorta like a cd sampler put out by record labels in hopes that you'll buy the full lengths by the artists.  

Again, this is something that needs to be experienced before it makes sense why I'm warning you off it, so you're doing the right thing, because you're a smart guy and won't make the same mistake twice  :p  

There's more than enough good acts to lure anyone, including me, if it didn't coincide with Voodoo.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 05:19:00 pm »
good to know your preconceptions and grouchiness aren't limited to music  ;)

but seriously: it has hotels that are themselves attractions, all sorts of shows (3 by cirque du soleil), gambling... while it might not be a city you're interested in, several million visitors a year seem to think otherwise.
<sig>

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2007, 05:20:00 pm »
Ok, from what I've READ.

Please tell me, what makes Vegas a "great city" worthy of a "proper visit"?

I'll bet there are plenty of people on this very board who have no interest in ever going to Vegas, based on what they've read/heard.

Originally posted by vansmack:

Why don't you invite all these other people that you talk with to participate on this board, because they'd have a lot more to add to these conversations than you're consistent "well, I've never_______ but from what I've heard I'd ___________" conjecture?  Maybe this board has passed you by a bit... [/b]

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 05:34:00 pm »
ok - heres a genuine answer without being a smart-ass. for the people who cannot afford to get to paris, rome and many of the other cities, the hotels are pretty amazing. paris - which obviously has the eiffel tower, the venetian (or is that Caesars (prob Caesars)) has their tribute to Rome. With a pristine ceiling that is really immaculate. Venetian has the gondolas in their hotel. Each hotel is pretty opulent and worthy of looking at. The Luxor was pretty impressive from what I remembered.

Besides the hotels, there are plenty of "las vegas" shows to see, as well as the cirque de soleil shows. Of course you can see Celine or any of the others there, who put on quite the shows.

And theres always gambling. For most people theres a bit of everything to do. My dad detests the place, mainly for the weather (cant do extreme heat), and he hates people! so yeah, its really not for him.

but for all the haters of vegas, youll get a lot more that love it, for more than just the gambling.

Ok, from what I've READ.

I'll bet there are plenty of people on this very board who have no interest in ever going to Vegas, based on what they've read/heard.

Why don't you invite all these other people that you talk with to participate on this board, because they'd have a lot more to add to these conversations than you're consistent "well, I've never_______ but from what I've heard I'd ___________" conjecture?  Maybe this board has passed you by a bit... [/b]
[/b]
HeyLa

vansmack

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 05:41:00 pm »
  Ok, from what I've READ.

Actually, "plenty" is an over statement.  I'd be willing to bet it's just you and maybe Celeste, although she appears to have lived a little more than you so I put her in the maybe category, otherwise I bet nearly every other person on this board would like to give Vegas a shot just to find out what it's like on their own.

And as far as making a case, I, for one, am happy that you don't want to go to Vegas, because I go often and would rather you not be there for fear that you'd ruin everyone else's fun.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 05:45:00 pm »

Ok, from what I've READ.

Actually, "plenty" is an over statement.  I'd be willing to bet it's just you and maybe Celeste, although she appears to have lived a little more than you so I put her in the maybe category, otherwise I bet nearly every other person on this board would like to give Vegas a shot just to find out what it's like on their own.
  [/b]
not to rain on the parade, but i have almost zero interest in Vegas. never been, had the chances, dont care to.  not really like i feel the need to stay away, but since i have never been to San Fran, Hawaii, Alaska, Japan, Austrailia, Sweden, Italy or Scotland and those all fall higher on my "places to go" list, i doubt i'll be on the strip anytime soon.   :eek:

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2007, 05:48:00 pm »
Is it a stretch to imagine that there are people (other than just your dad?) who actually would have no interest in any of this? Apparently for Vansmack, this is too much of a stretch for him.

For me, it's hard to imagine why anyone wouldn't want to experience the incredible glory that is the Grand Canyon. Yet, I'll bet there are plenty of people who have no interest in going there.

Originally posted by xneverwherex:
  ok - heres a genuine answer without being a smart-ass. for the people who cannot afford to get to paris, rome and many of the other cities, the hotels are pretty amazing. paris - which obviously has the eiffel tower, the venetian (or is that Caesars (prob Caesars)) has their tribute to Rome. With a pristine ceiling that is really immaculate. Venetian has the gondolas in their hotel. Each hotel is pretty opulent and worthy of looking at. The Luxor was pretty impressive from what I remembered.

Besides the hotels, there are plenty of "las vegas" shows to see, as well as the cirque de soleil shows. Of course you can see Celine or any of the others there, who put on quite the shows.

And theres always gambling. For most people theres a bit of everything to do. My dad detests the place, mainly for the weather (cant do extreme heat), and he hates people! so yeah, its really not for him.

but for all the haters of vegas, youll get a lot more that love it, for more than just the gambling.

Ok, from what I've READ.

[/b]
[/b]

Vas Deferens

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2007, 05:53:00 pm »
Shows in Vegas are overpriced and the magician shows are a joke. Vegas is worth seeing once. My advice is to not spend more than 2 days there. I don't think I'll go there again, unless I have to.
(_|_)

vansmack

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2007, 05:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:
  not to rain on the parade, but i have almost zero interest in Vegas.
I should have said French Canadians don't count because they've got Montreal and nothing in Vegas can compare to Montreal (save for poker because I don't play poker where I don't sepak the language).

But, I bet you go once before you die, now that you're becoming a US Citizen and all.
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2007, 06:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by wanderlust featuring j. marshmallow:
  Shows in Vegas are overpriced and the magician shows are a joke. Vegas is worth seeing once. My advice is to not spend more than 2 days there. I don't think I'll go there again, unless I have to.
i think it will take more than 2 days to go through all the celebrity chef restaurants though.  that, of course, is relatively meaningless to those of us with somewhat easy access to new york and san francisco (or chicago) though.  for some people, being able to eat at bouchon or jean-georges or daniel is worth going to vegas, for any number of reasons.
OU812

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2007, 06:29:00 pm »
 For me, it's hard to imagine why anyone wouldn't want to experience the incredible glory that is the Grand Canyon. Yet, I'll bet there are plenty of people who have no interest in going there.
yup, weird but true.  but i'm not going to ask you the annoying question "what exactly makes the grand canyon worthy of a visit?"  ;)
<sig>