Author Topic: Voodoo or Vegoose?  (Read 9879 times)

bikerchickdc

Voodoo or Vegoose?
« on: July 28, 2007, 11:32:00 am »
I'm trying to decide which one I will go to, Vegoose (Las Vegas) or the Voodoo Music Festival (New Orleans).  I'm leaning towards Voodoo; I went last year and was really impressed with how well-run and well-organized it was; beer and burger prices at the event were pretty close to what you'd pay on the outside (I don't think I have ever seen $3 beer at any other music event, at least not since the very first Lollapalooza), and the sound crew really put a lot of effort into preventing the sound from one stage from stepping on the next stage over...

Lineups are comperable, with Rage Against the Machine actually playing both. The Stooges play Vegoose, Ska Cubana plays Voodoo, in the end each lineup is awesome.

Full lineups at  http://vegoose.com  and  http://voodoomusicfest.com

Price-wise, each trip will run about the same, New Orleans probably a little cheaper (the good Vegas hotels are high that week) although in NOLA I would want to stay on for Halloween and in Vegas I usually win a nice little pile of money.  But money really is not that big an issue--- no I am not rich, I just realize this won't be a $700 trip and either way, I'll be spending some money, and the difference in cost isn't going to be big enough to use as the deciding factor.

So since things are so evenly matched, which one would you go to?

walkonby

Re: Voodoo or Vegoose?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 01:16:00 pm »
i'd stay home, save the money and the heat stroke, pets my cats, and watch it on the eventual dvd.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 01:55:00 pm »
Personally I'd hit Vegoose.
‼‼?‼‼

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 02:24:00 pm »
Vegoose has a better lineup, so I'd hit that.
(_|_)

vansmack

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 04:28:00 pm »
If all else is equal:

Strippers in Vegas > Strippers in New Orleans
27>34

bnyced0

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 09:48:00 am »
Vegoose may end up with marginally better line up, but from a comfort, convenience, and the fact New Orleans can use your $$$ a whole lot more than Vegas that's the horse I'm going to ride.  

I've only done Vegoose once, I've done Voodoo four times, and with the exception of the Katrina year which only one day in NO and one in Memphis and a complete clusterphuck, it's always been a great time.  

I like Vegas for one off's, but I don't gamble so if there are no shows I want to see or DJ's in town there's nothing there for me, it's kind of sterile but both cities draw their fair share of druken A -holes, they just seemed to more well heeled in Vegas.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, but I'd vote for Voodoo.

bjmoore

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 11:26:00 am »
For your money, with all things comparable, Voodoo Fest makes more sense. First, its $100 tickets for the entire weekend (3 days), in-and-out entry, whereas Vegoose is $150 GA BASE PRICE (2 days, no in-and-out entry; $80 for one-day) plus if you want to go see Vegoose at Night shows (like the Shins, Umphreys McGee at Vegas clubs like the Joint and House of Blues), those cost extra and you MUST buy a 2-day pass for it. Flights are actually around the same: about $200-$250 per person roundtrip to fly to Vegas and New Orleans. Hotels would be cheaper in N.O., as someone pointed out, and they could probably use the money more than Vegas.

I went through this same debate with my friend, who actually lives in Vegas. Because of that, I wouldn'tve had to worry about paying for a hotel there. BUT even with that, we found it was better to go to New Orleans, because 3 of our favorite bands (rage, pumpkins and Coheed and Cambria) are playing in New Orleans, so the $100 more than makes sense for us. This is just my opinion, you have to take into consideration the line-up.  I know not everyone loves Coheed or the Pumpkins as much as I do, and the Vegoose line-up is very good: The Stooges, Queens of the Stone Age, Muse, plus Rage of course. And Vegas is a great town, but it is the weekend, the Strip will be packed and it will cost you a fortune to stay there for a weekend. In the end you have to judge the overall line-up quality and the prices of flights, hotels and tickets and decide which makes more sense for your money. I've never been to New Orleans, it will cost more to go there in my case, but I can still see all three bands I want to see by Saturday night, can fly back Sunday to DC and only miss one day of work.

P.S. The Strip Clubs in Vegas are great. Hit up Little Darlings if you there.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 10:34:00 am »
based on line-up, it's vegoose for me.  voodoo has smashing pumpkins (will have seen them twice by then) and wilco (not a huge fan), which can't compete with vegoose: rage (best act from coachella), daft punk and muse (two best acts of lolla), stooges (year's best act at 930), QOTSA (might be my only chance to see them), thievery, battles... daft punk alone is putting me on that plane.

if anyone is considering going and wants to share costs (accomodations, car rental, etc) send me a PM.  i'm still in the early planning stages, haven't bought/reserved anything yet.
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 11:24:00 am »
New Orleans is way cooler than Vegas.

sonickteam2

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 11:27:00 am »
new orleans IS way cooler than vegas.

bnyced0

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 01:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  based on line-up, it's vegoose for me.  voodoo has smashing pumpkins (will have seen them twice by then) and wilco (not a huge fan), which can't compete with vegoose: rage (best act from coachella), daft punk and muse (two best acts of lolla), stooges (year's best act at 930), QOTSA (might be my only chance to see them), thievery, battles... daft punk alone is putting me on that plane.

if anyone is considering going and wants to share costs (accomodations, car rental, etc) send me a PM.  i'm still in the early planning stages, haven't bought/reserved anything yet.
From one amateur consultant to a professional one, your logic is not faulty, but unfortunately you're not weighing the intangibles and only the experience itself will teach the lesson you need to know about this bad choice...but you know I wish you well, and will be thinking about your horrible evenings on the strip while we're living the vida loca on Bourbon street (well sort of).

Vas Deferens

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 01:38:00 pm »
Ehhh, hope they don't disappoint you the 2nd time around 'coz you'll get exactly the same show. I was blown away by Muse last time during Download fest but what I got at Lolla was exactly the same thing.

daft punk alone is putting me on that plane.

(_|_)

TheDirector217

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 01:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by bnyced0:

From one amateur consultant to a professional one, your logic is not faulty, but unfortunately you're not weighing the intangibles and only the experience itself will teach the lesson you need to know about this bad choice...but you know I wish you well, and will be thinking about your horrible evenings on the strip while we're living the vida loca on Bourbon street (well sort of). [/b]
I feel you on that, but New Orleans does NOT have Daft Punk.  That's a scale-tipper to say the least.  Then toss in Iggy.  Plus Queens.  Now I'm leaning REAL hard towards Vegas my damn self.  The only thing semi-stopping me is upon recent review, my concert expenditure is starting to get a little outta control this year.  

I'd do it all again, though . . .    :D

bnyced0

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 01:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by wanderlust featuring j. marshmallow:
  Ehhh, hope they don't disappoint you the 2nd time around 'coz you'll get exactly the same show. I was blown away by Muse last time during Download fest but what I got at Lolla was exactly the same thing.

daft punk alone is putting me on that plane.

[/b]
EXACTLY?  I've been to quite a few Muse festival shows since the most recent album was released and though similiar I don't think I got EXACTLY the same set list or visuals at any two of them, so you should proably buy a lottery ticket today.  And Daft Punk hasn't spun EXACTLY the same thing on any of the US dates thus far, a scarily fanatical friend of mine has been/is going to them all and has delineated on her PRIVATE blog the differences between the appearances.  Though for the average Joe (no pun intended) they are very similiar and the visuals are essentially the same, but the music (the important thing) has changed.

Cali

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 01:46:00 pm »
i've never been to vegoose, but i have gone to voodoo and LOVED it. the festival was nice, good food, good seats, good bands.

the weather will be better in new orleans. soo much cooler than vegas.

i'd choose voodoo. where else can you get a buggy ride and order a hurricane curbside--i dont recall the name of that bar, but they make the best hurricane i've had to date.