Author Topic: Mark your calendars / Arcade Fire  (Read 35879 times)

thatguy

• Global Moderator
Re: Mark your calendars / Arcade Fire
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2005, 02:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:

thatguy ... it really wasn't that big of a deal, the bouncer (kinda looked like andrew wk, stringy long black hair) was just on a powertrip, happens all the time ... [/b]
doesn't happen all the time on my watch.  the proper interaction would be "there's no smoking in the club tonight, but you may go outside or downstairs to smoke if you'd like."  i said it 100 times last night.

vansmack

« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2005, 02:29:00 pm »
Arcade Fire will be on Conan tomorrow night (Feb 1) and have been added to Coachella.

If you like the live show, check out torrents from  San Diego and  Austin.
27>34

eltee

« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2005, 02:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by thatguy:

thatguy ... it really wasn't that big of a deal, the bouncer (kinda looked like andrew wk, stringy long black hair) was just on a powertrip, happens all the time ... [/b]
doesn't happen all the time on my watch.  the proper interaction would be "there's no smoking in the club tonight, but you may go outside or downstairs to smoke if you'd like."  i said it 100 times last night. [/b]
Just curious - were there signs posted?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2005, 02:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by El Tee:
I saw a sign at the front door when I walked in.  I'm not surprised people missed it, but it was there.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2005, 02:53:00 pm »

doesn't happen all the time on my watch.  the proper interaction would be "there's no smoking in the club tonight, but you may go outside or downstairs to smoke if you'd like."  i said it 100 times last night. [/b]
touche, thank you...
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2005, 03:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

Originally posted by El Tee:
I saw a sign at the front door when I walked in.  I'm not surprised people missed it, but it was there. [/b]
there were signs, and i noticed them afterwards ... but i didn't see them when i first walked in, just lit up like normal ...
(o|o)

BookerT

« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2005, 03:07:00 pm »
is anyone in the band pregnant? or do they just not like smoke? seems like a pretty high-and-mighty move to pull. but i bet it was nice to come home from a show and not have your clothes stink up the whole apartment/bedroom/etc.

does the club always honor this sort of request? or just when acts like arcade fire and pj harvey pack 'em in real, real tight.

joz

« Reply #127 on: January 31, 2005, 03:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Originally posted by joz:
  and what's with those f'ckers in the audience shouting for them to play talking heads songs?  jesus christ man...the freebird thing at shows is bad enough but since when is it cool to go to a show and yell at the band to play someone else's music?
This must be the place  from Boston (halfway down the page).

They played it in SF as well and have been known to do others. [/b]
well aware of that and did expect to hear TMBTP last night, but i didn't think there would be douchebags in the audience shouting to hear them do a cover song.  personally, i'm glad they didn't play it just to spite them.  what did win say?  "we'll put a stop to that right now" and instead did 2 new tracks...much better imo.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2005, 03:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by BookerT:
  is anyone in the band pregnant? or do they just not like smoke? seems like a pretty high-and-mighty move to pull. but i bet it was nice to come home from a show and not have your clothes stink up the whole apartment/bedroom/etc.

does the club always honor this sort of request? or just when acts like arcade fire and pj harvey pack 'em in real, real tight.
i'm trying to remember the last 930 club show i was at that was non-smoking ... i think it was the trainwreck of a performance soulive put on a year ago or so ...
(o|o)

Bags

« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2005, 03:15:00 pm »
And, of course, that would have been the perfect way to handle -- just a "no smoking in the club tonight" would have been dandy.  

Thanks, thatguy -- an awfully small complaint in the scheme of things.  That's why we love the club!

vansmack

« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2005, 03:16:00 pm »
  well aware of that and did expect to hear TMBTP last night, but i didn't think there would be douchebags in the audience shouting to hear them do a cover song.  personally, i'm glad they didn't play it just to spite them.  what did win say?  "we'll put a stop to that right now" and instead did 2 new tracks...much better imo.
Thanks for clarifying.  From your original post it seemed that you were wondering why the guys in the audience were asking for the Talking Heads in general.  I see now what you mean and likely would have been annoyed as well.

I too would have rather heard two new songs.  We got "Intervention" and not "Burning Bridges," but we also had two nights, so the other night likely got the other new song and a cover.
27>34

« Reply #131 on: January 31, 2005, 03:29:00 pm »
PJ Harvey shows are non-smoking.

Originally posted by BookerT:

i'm trying to remember the last 930 club show i was at that was non-smoking ... i think it was the trainwreck of a performance soulive put on a year ago or so ... [/b]

twelsh737

« Reply #132 on: January 31, 2005, 03:38:00 pm »
I stood outside for about 5 or 10 minutes before I went into the show and the ticket takers clearly said "no smoking tonight" to the people in line at least 3 or 4 times. And the staff at the merch table seemed to be very nice about pointing the policy out to people. It might have just been one staffer who was sick of repeating themselves. Although I don't smoke so maybe it didn't seem as harsh to me as it did to the smokers.

joz

« Reply #133 on: January 31, 2005, 03:38:00 pm »
where are you located vansmack?  san fran?

vansmack

« Reply #134 on: January 31, 2005, 03:55:00 pm »
  where are you located vansmack?  san fran?
Yes.  I lived in DC from 96 to 2003 and made a few friends on this board before returning to CA.
27>34