Author Topic: Mark your calendars / Arcade Fire  (Read 35860 times)

helicon1

Re: Mark your calendars / Arcade Fire
« Reply #150 on: February 01, 2005, 07:37:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:

Originally posted by helicon1:
 [qb]  
Originally posted by thatguy:
 [qb]

umm, i'd politely disagree ... but we've had this discussion before, heavy drinking = smoking, its just that simple ... i wouldn't go to a random show on a tuesday night if i knew i would have to run down to the backbar to have a cigarette, and i know many people feel the same way ... it's a club, people smoke, most people either realize this as a fact of life or go to really cool places like clarendon ballroom or montgomery county, woohoo! [/b]
This summer I saw the Polyphonic Spree at Irving Plaza in NYC. It wasn't until the end of the show when I realized there was something missing. I sniffed my shirt, and lo and behold, it still smelled dryer-fresh! It was still packed but the lack of smoke made the packed house much more tolerable. I just don't think smoking would be missed as much at a concert venue. People were still drinking, it's just a matter of adjustment.

« Reply #151 on: February 01, 2005, 10:02:00 am »
Actually, alcohol sales in bars have increased in Montgomery County since the smoking ban went into place.

Perhaps heavy drinking=smoking for you, the person with the cigarette problem, but it heavy drinking does not equal smoking for the 80% of the population who are non-smokers.

personally, i hope we go no smoking soon.  all of my clothes smell like smoke, and i find the smell offensive.
Three cheers for a non-smoking venue! Crowded shows will instantly become more tolerable.

I understand there will be people against such ban. But think about it, a music venue is the sort of place where smoking isn't a must and I'm sure it would not detract from the atmosphere. [/b]
umm, i'd politely disagree ... but we've had this discussion before, heavy drinking = smoking, its just that simple ... i wouldn't go to a random show on a tuesday night if i knew i would have to run down to the backbar to have a cigarette, and i know many people feel the same way ... it's a club, people smoke, most people either realize this as a fact of life or go to really cool places like clarendon ballroom or montgomery county, woohoo!

thatguy, i agree, signs were everywhere and it should have been obvious, i just didn't catch it when i walked in, not a big deal. [/b]

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #152 on: February 01, 2005, 10:04:00 am »
  I just don't think smoking would be missed as much at a concert venue.
do you smoke? no? really, so you have a really good frame of reference here, huh? if i had to sit through a 3 hour drive by truckers show without a cigarette, I believe smoking would be "missed"
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #153 on: February 01, 2005, 10:06:00 am »
(o|o)

pablohoney

« Reply #154 on: February 01, 2005, 10:10:00 am »

Originally posted by pablohoney:

the coffee bar will tell people if they buy a pack.  
that is actually totally untrue. my friend and i bought packs separately at the coffee bar and neither of us were ever informed that there was no smoking. [/b]
ok.  two experiences make my statement totally untrue.  how about this: "the coffee bar is supposed to tell people if they buy a pack, but is often manned by humans, who are by their very nature imperfect and forget to do things sometimes." [/b]
just sayin'. i was with two other smokers and at no point were any of us informed by the coffee bar, tickettakers, or bartenders that there was no smoking. not a big deal, but it wasn't made as clear as it could have been.

Celeste

« Reply #155 on: February 01, 2005, 10:26:00 am »

do you smoke? no? really, so you have a really good frame of reference here, huh? if i had to sit through a 3 hour drive by truckers show without a cigarette, I believe smoking would be "missed" [/b]
then learn to quit. smoking is a vile habit. it is totally offensive to me that I have to endure the smoke fumes of losers who care nothing at all about their health just to see a show I like.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #156 on: February 01, 2005, 11:11:00 am »
   i wouldn't go to a random show on a tuesday night if i knew i would have to run down to the backbar to have a cigarette, and i know many people feel the same way ...
Really?  You'd blow-off a band you were interested in, just because you didn't want to have to run downstairs for 5 minutes to have a cigarette?  That surprises me.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #157 on: February 01, 2005, 11:16:00 am »
Originally posted by Celeste:

do you smoke? no? really, so you have a really good frame of reference here, huh? if i had to sit through a 3 hour drive by truckers show without a cigarette, I believe smoking would be "missed" [/b]
then learn to quit. smoking is a vile habit. it is totally offensive to me that I have to endure the smoke fumes of losers who care nothing at all about their health just to see a show I like. [/b]
HAH!! ok celeste, now that you put it that way. Thanks!!
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #158 on: February 01, 2005, 11:20:00 am »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

i wouldn't go to a random show on a tuesday night if i knew i would have to run down to the backbar to have a cigarette, and i know many people feel the same way ...
Really?  You'd blow-off a band you were interested in, just because you didn't want to have to run downstairs for 5 minutes to have a cigarette?  That surprises me. [/b]
an example that i used when we had this same exact discussion previously was the Trash Can Sinatras show last fall ... i honestly could give a shit about them, but i was in the mood to hear some smiths-y stuff so i came out after dinner that night ... if i knew i couldn't smoke there, however, i would have stayed at home, smoked a joint and put on "cake" and then "god save the queen" ... now that i write that, that sounds like a better night than falling asleep to trash can, especially if i couldn't smoke a cigarette ...
(o|o)

joz

« Reply #159 on: February 01, 2005, 11:27:00 am »
Originally posted by myuman:
  The set list on stage had this order... but there was some tweaking though. Wake up, Headlights, Laika, No Cars, Haiti, Intervention, 7 Kettles, French Song, Power out, Rebellion, Backseat.  Encore: Crown of, and Neighborhood.
back to the arcade fire...the smoking vs non-smoking argument is so tired...it's like the red states vs. the blue states; they'll never agree.

7 kettles?? = burning bridges, breaking hearts
 "french song" = une annee san lumieres
 neighborhood = neighborhood #1 (tunnels)

thanks for posting myuman...

BookerT

« Reply #160 on: February 01, 2005, 11:32:00 am »
here's the post's take on the show. kinda echoes snailhook's thoughts. i wasn't there, but it sounds about right. the record is very good, but there were probably a dozen or so that i thought were better last year. like snailhook was saying, the fact that they have lots of people playing lots of different instruments, not to mention the fact that they are on merge, just evokes lots of neutral milk hotel comparisons, at least in my mind, and that's just one band you don't want to go up against.

Arcade Fire

The 9:30 club stage seemed too small for the eight musicians of the Arcade Fire, whose Sunday night concert operated according to the formula that constant movement and shouting in unison create a powerful show. The group's music centered on the beats: Three simultaneous rhythm guitars drilled power chords that were accented by pounding drums and the yelping vocals of Win Butler and Regine Chassagne. Two violinists filled in the gaps, bringing out melodies in songs that were otherwise just percussive.

Most of the musicians rotated instruments like a holiday gift exchange, sometimes throwing a tambourine from person to person between songs. But not everyone played an instrument: During most songs, one or two members of the group would grab a pair of drumsticks and pound on anything in sight, even wearing motorcycle helmets for extra protection.

These energetic gimmicks won over the capacity audience more often than not: By the end of the set, the crowd was clapping along to the bouncy rhythm of "Rebellion (Lies)" and pounding fists in the air as "Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)" disintegrated into musical mayhem. Despite the energy and chaos, the songs weren't very memorable, and Butler's vocals were murky and often unintelligible.

The last song of the night, "In the Backseat," concluded with all eight members wandering through the downstairs audience, waving their instruments in the air, oooh-ing the song's final chorus in unison as they made their way upstairs and through the balcony crowd back to their dressing rooms.

The group's haphazard movements on stage were fascinating to watch, and it's a miracle there were no collisions all night. While its simplistic musical style and histrionic vocals had little substance, the Arcade Fire is certainly to be admired for its extreme and unwavering physicality.

-- Catherine P. Lewis

Celeste

« Reply #161 on: February 01, 2005, 11:35:00 am »
  then learn to quit. smoking is a vile habit. it is totally offensive to me that I have to endure the smoke fumes of losers who care nothing at all about their health just to see a show I like.
HAH!! ok celeste, now that you put it that way. Thanks!!

this better? you're only (well, mostly) killing yourself!

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #162 on: February 01, 2005, 11:42:00 am »
from my favorite comedy set of all time:

"There's a guy- I don't know if you've heard about this guy, he's been on the news a lot lately. There's a guy- he's English, I don't think we should hold that against him, but apparently this is just his life's dream because he is going from country to country. He has a senate hearing in this country coming up in a couple of weeks. And this is what he wants to do. He wants to make the warnings on the packs bigger. Yeah! He wants the whole front of the pack to be the warning. Like the problem is we just haven't noticed yet. Right? Like he's going to get his way and all of the sudden smokers around the world are going to be going, "Yeah, Bill, I've got some cigarettes. HOLY SHIT! These things are bad for you! Shit, I thought they were good for you! I thought they had Vitamin C in them and stuff!" You fucking dolt! Doesn't matter how big the warnings are. You could have cigarettes that were called the warning. You could have cigarrets that come in a black pack, with a skull and a cross bone on the front, called tumors and smokers would be lined up around the block going, "I can't wait to get my hands on these fucking things! I bet you get a tumor as soon as you light up! Numm Numm Numm Numm Numm" Doesn't matter how big the warnings are or how much they cost. Keep raising the prices, we'll break into your houses to get the fucking cigarettes, ok!?"
(o|o)

sonickteam2

« Reply #163 on: February 01, 2005, 11:46:00 am »
Originally posted by Celeste:
we only smoke to piss you off, celeste. and we hope that if you keep coming around, then you will die a long miserable painful death and we'll be at your funeral smoking a parlaiment saying "man, i thought smoking was only bad for us"
    then we'll go eat a juicy steak  :)  yummmmm

sonickteam2

« Reply #164 on: February 01, 2005, 11:47:00 am »
  from my favorite comedy set of all time:

mine too!! haha.

this ones good too

"Remember Jim Fixx? The big famous jogging guy? Jogged fifteen miles a day. Did a jogging book. Did a jogging video. Dropped dead of a heart attack when? When he was fucking jogging, that's when! "