Author Topic: Coachella 2009  (Read 103634 times)

Firebutt McGee

Re: Coachella 2009
« Reply #165 on: April 21, 2009, 01:18:50 am »
what did antony do that was so unexpected?!?  wants to know!

interesting synopsis of one writer's coachella experience: Coachella 2009, By The Numbers

Antony just fucking owned it. He did all songs from The Crying Light and a B-Side ("Where Is My Power?"), and he tore it the fuck up. Every song had wildly new arrangements with beats accompanied by the string section and his voice. The highlight was either the crazy, Underworld-sounding new mix of Everglade, or the house mix he did of Another World with him looping his own vocals and just going at it for like 3 extra minutes.

People were genuinely freaking the fuck out (myself included), and LOVED what he did with the arrangements. It was definitely a one-off thing, but that bootleg can't come quick enough!
Woof.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #166 on: April 21, 2009, 01:37:41 am »
antony went electronic?!?  yeah that boot can't come fast enough!!!
<sig>

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #167 on: April 21, 2009, 03:54:35 am »
It doesn't give half of the energy and excitement of being there, but there's a decent YouTube clip of him doing Kiss My Name with these freaky looped handclaps and the string section. There was a synth player/drummer off to the side that you can't see in the video.
Woof.

bearman🐻

« Reply #168 on: April 21, 2009, 09:55:28 am »
I'm back in DC...had the most fantastic trip. I'm sorry I missed out on MBV at the El Rey, that would have been awesome. I thought the Murder City Devils were fantastic, so was X. X played "the Have Nots" which was SO cool. Caught some of Peter Bjorn and John, which was good, as well as a couple tunes from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. MBV were great for the first 3/4, but "You Made Me Realize" just doesn't translate well in the open air. You need the full effect of them blowing up a structure like the Aragon Ballroom because it's not just about the sound of the feedback but the FEEL of it as well. Caught about an hour of the Cure and then got a craving for In and Out. I was in bed by the time they finished their set, but I'm OK with that.

I did a LOT of other cool rock'n'roll related stuff. I went to Hollywood Forever cemetery to see Dee Dee and Johnny Ramone...I met Lara Clarkson's mom while I was there and she told me all this crazy stuff about the Phil Spector trial. Very surreal. Then I went to Sunset where the Elliott Smith Figure 8 memorial is. I even went by the house where he died. I did a private tour with a buddy of mine who runs www.findadeath.com, so he knows where all the cool shit is. We went by the LaBianca house in Los Feliz, and we went up into the Hollywood Hills to see the Bat Cave.

Random sightings: Scott Ian from Anthrax at LAX (he came out right after Scottish actor Alan Cumming), Michael Madsen and Karen O at LAX yesterday. It was pretty wild. Had a great time shopping at Amoeba Records in SF and in LA.

Smackie, the trip went WAY too fast, but I'll be back your way in August. Let's get together then, I'll plan it out better. Are you on Facebook?

wml7

« Reply #169 on: April 21, 2009, 10:04:45 am »
lucky bastards

bearman🐻

« Reply #170 on: April 21, 2009, 10:06:09 am »
The most hilarious thing was driving by Glenn Danzig's house...sunny, beautiful LA and all of a sudden a house that's hanging by a thread, complete with overgrown weeds and ominous huge gate closed by a heavy chain with a padlock on it. I wish I had gotten a photo.

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2009, 01:16:34 pm »
My random sightings this trip were:

Shirley Manson in the VIP on Sunday, and watching the YYY's side stage.
Gary Busey in Santa Monica
Madeliene Albright at the Farmers Market/The Grove
Bradley Cooper on Friday watching Leonard Cohen
Woof.

nkotb

« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2009, 01:22:39 pm »
So I was going to get all snarky about how Antony could tear anything the fuck up, but I checked out the video of Kiss My Name on Pitchfork...and yeah, that was pretty fucking cool.

Antony just fucking owned it. He did all songs from The Crying Light and a B-Side ("Where Is My Power?"), and he tore it the fuck up. Every song had wildly new arrangements with beats accompanied by the string section and his voice. The highlight was either the crazy, Underworld-sounding new mix of Everglade, or the house mix he did of Another World with him looping his own vocals and just going at it for like 3 extra minutes.

People were genuinely freaking the fuck out (myself included), and LOVED what he did with the arrangements. It was definitely a one-off thing, but that bootleg can't come quick enough!

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #173 on: April 21, 2009, 06:12:41 pm »
what did antony do that was so unexpected?!?  wants to know!

interesting synopsis of one writer's coachella experience: Coachella 2009, By The Numbers

Epilepsy is Dancing from Coachella with the synths and strings combo. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtODuMz4aFI

Here's a shitty clip of the live remix he did of Another World with the looped vocals and the beats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ3IPa-bMEI
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 06:16:11 pm by ixkpd-bk »
Woof.

azaghal1981

« Reply #174 on: April 22, 2009, 04:10:36 am »
No mention that the Antony/Johnsons set was with Matthew Herbert?

For shame, ixkpd-bk.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #175 on: April 29, 2009, 01:41:55 am »
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #176 on: April 29, 2009, 11:18:41 am »
This is Why We Don't Go to Coachella

they're just like us; we made famous people the douches that some of them are.  i see no problem.

wml7

Firebutt McGee

Woof.

walkonby

« Reply #179 on: April 30, 2009, 11:34:24 am »
This is Why We Don't Go to Coachella

Or for this reason

http://www.vimeo.com/4273363

Isn't that the tiniest penis you've ever seen!

taking mass doses of drugs will do that to ya.  check out how the guy was acting while the cops were attempting him to put his robe back on.  he was rolling hard!!  or rolling "way soft."