Author Topic: Happy Birthday...  (Read 6259 times)

brennser

Happy Birthday...
« on: October 31, 2008, 10:58:00 am »
...Johnny Marr! 45 today.

NPR announced his birthday today as "Johnny Marr, guitarist with Modest Mouse". Technically true, but couldn't they have at least mentioned The Smiths??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2NrIALcNOw

Space Freely

Re: Happy Birthday...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 06:15:04 pm »
Everybody read some Ramona tonight. Beverly Cleary turns 100 today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM0MUcc5OKE

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 08:20:26 pm »
I'm going to be straight up about this...I hate ramona!
Probably the only kids book in the house I put my foot down on that I would not read

the mouse books and henry higgians stuff was great

NPR said it best.....Beverly Clearly sold 90 Million books in her life time
the rolling stones have only sold 80 million records
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:05:42 pm by SideBurner |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 07:50:07 am »
I'm going to be straight up about this...I hate ramona!
Probably the only kids book in the house I put my foot down on that I would not read

the mouse books and henry higgians stuff was great

NPR said it best.....Beverly Clearly sold 90 Million books in her life time
the rolling stones have only sold 80 million records

Why do you hate Ramona? Because her author sold more book than the Rolling Stones sold albums?

I hated the (behavior of the) girls in Blubber (I know, different author). But it still made for some compelling reading.

hutch

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 08:06:13 am »
I loved Cleary's books... not as much as Dahl who was by far my favorite ,but I still enjoyed them... then again I always loved reading, books and libraries...

bob72

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 08:13:11 am »
I was partial to Judy Blume, I don't recall ever having read a Ramona book
PENIS

hutch

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 08:47:09 am »
I loved Judy Blume too....I liked them all.. except maybe the one who wrote about horses or unicorns.. madeline l'engle or whatever....

hutch

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 08:49:25 am »
I also liked CS Lewis a lot..but did not ever read the Tolkien stuff..still have not read it....

Space Freely

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 08:53:26 am »
I think the only Cleary book I read as a kid was the Mouse and the Motorcycle and/or Runaway Ralph. Are they the same book?  I don't recall my parents ever reading to me (was that commonplace back then, after the kid has learned to read for themself?) But I do recall having an appetite for reading books myself.

I think my daughter identified a bit with Ramona and hence enjoyed that series.

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 12:32:14 pm »
Cleary - Mouse&moto and Runaway Ralph I think are the same mouse, but different books...don't quote me on that. 
As far as my hate for ramona, I just realized I was mistaken...for Junie B. Jones's
and not for the Rolling Stones part...that was just to show she is a freaking rock star when it comes to book sales

as for Junie B...
We started the series and I just wanted to smack that kid upside the face.  She was annoying, stupid, mean, shellfish, had incredibly poor grammar/spelling (I know I'm the last person to criticize that)  They were books my oldest wanted to learn to read with and I got to a point where I told here I would not help her learn to read with those books and we needed to find a different series.  We did and she loves reading now

I do think we did do some of the ramona and they were good

madeline l'engle...Wrinkle in time.  That was one of my first favorite long form books...didn't read anything else from her.

I think it's odd for a boy to read Judy Blume...but that's me.  My understanding is they are very tailored for young girls.

I don't recall my parents ever reading to me after I learned to read either...but My oldest still likes me to read some pages before bed (and I do too) but she reads about 50 pages a day on her own, so it's not because she can't, just become the rhythm of bedtime

slack

Space Freely

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 12:36:36 pm »
  She was annoying, stupid, mean, shellfish, had incredibly poor grammar/spelling (I know I'm the last person to criticize that) 

I hate it when girls are shellfish.

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 12:42:26 pm »
  She was annoying, stupid, mean, shellfish, had incredibly poor grammar/spelling (I know I'm the last person to criticize that) 

I hate it when girls are shellfish.
D'oh...that was planted so one of you would point out
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 01:07:00 pm »

I think it's odd for a boy to read Judy Blume...but that's me.  My understanding is they are very tailored for young girls.

I didn't read Blume as a kid, but have enjoyed the books I've read with my daughter. The stories we have read (Sheila the Great, Blubber) have been from a girl's point but seem to be no more tailored for young girls than books told from a boy's point of view are tailored for young girls. Then again, we haven't read them all, including the one where the girl gets her first period.

The Fudge series, told by Fudge's sister, are essentially tales of the little boy Fudge, so again not really tailored toward girls...Fudge was a character based on Blume's son, who is one of the founding partners of City Winery.

bob72

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 01:14:58 pm »

depends...  "then again, maybe I won't" "superfudge" and "tales of a fourth grade nothing" were boy books.

"are you there god, it's me Margaret" "blubber" and "otherwise known as Sheila the great" were def girl books.

PENIS

bearman🐻

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 01:20:16 pm »

Nah. I think that it kind of helps you better understand from an earlier age how girls think. And if you're a gay boy, they're great reads. If you're a straight boy, it begins the blueprint of helping to better appreciate the opposite sex. Either way, it's entertaining. And yeah, "Then Again, Maybe I Won't" was a total boy's book.