Author Topic: smoking ban  (Read 15893 times)

sonickteam2

Re: smoking ban
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2006, 12:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by Alex:
  No, I do understand.  I understand that it's stupid for someone to not smoke all day, and then suddenly lose all self-control at night when they drink at a bar and feel the need to smoke with their drinks.  It's pointless, and adds to the already horrible air at the Black Cat.

why is smoking or not smoking always about self-control.  i dont drink all day but when i go out, i like to enjoy a beer. but i wouldnt say i "lost all self control" when i got to the bar.

you know, not everyone who smokes is a chain smoker who "needs his fix" and cant live without them.

sonickteam2

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2006, 12:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by nanjw:
   If they could just say no smoking on a sold out floor, just for cautionary reasons, then that would be good enough.  
it will never be good enough

soon people will complain that the groups of people standing on the sidewalk outside of bars are disrupting pedestrian traffic.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2006, 01:17:00 pm »
no one should be bitching either way.  look.  people are going to smoke at shows (until the ban begins, at least).  it's a pain in the ass for those that don't smoke and hate the smell/worry about secondhand inhalation risks/don't appreciate washing their hair four times before they smell normal again.  but by going to a place like the Black Cat, it is to be expected.  you can't go to a bar thinking that NO ONE is going to be smoking.  and if it's to the point where it's something worthy of bitching that much over, then stop going.

the only time you should be complaining is if someone is overly obnoxious and blows smoke in your face trying to look trendy.  otherwise, it's just to be expected, and deal with it until the ban.  

the end.
 fin.

fire09

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2006, 01:20:00 pm »
Can we ban cell phones in public places too.   The obnoxious tools that yak on their cell phones everywhere, all the time, about nothing in particular are annoying as hell.

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2006, 01:22:00 pm »
Blah blah blah.

Smokers, you've had your rights for thousands of years. Now it's our turn, you little fuckers. Your nasty little habit belongs back in the time before they had indoor plumbing, or cures for venereal diseases. You want to smoke? Take a time travel vehicle back to a shittier time and live there, out of our cleaner, healthier, better world.

Next up, anti-obesity laws. Let's get rid high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils the way they're getting rid of cigarettes.

ggw

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2006, 01:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by Stanger:
  Can we ban cell phones in public places too.   The obnoxious tools that yak on their cell phones everywhere, all the time, about nothing in particular are annoying as hell.
I couldn't agree more.

fire09

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2006, 01:28:00 pm »
You sound like you would be a barrel of laughs to be around.

Originally posted by Weird Little Self Loathing Man:
  Blah blah blah.

Smokers, you've had your rights for thousands of years. Now it's our turn, you little fuckers. Your nasty little habit belongs back in the time before they had indoor plumbing, or cures for venereal diseases. You want to smoke? Take a time travel vehicle back to a shittier time and live there, out of our cleaner, healthier, better world.

Next up, anti-obesity laws. Let's get rid high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils the way they're getting rid of cigarettes.

sonickteam2

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2006, 01:31:00 pm »
if you could stand the smell.

yinzer

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2006, 01:42:00 pm »
quote:
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Originally posted by Stanger:
 Can we ban cell phones in public places too. The obnoxious tools that yak on their cell phones everywhere, all the time, about nothing in particular are annoying as hell.
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't agree more.  
i could agree more and will.  there really needs to be a nationwide cell phone etiquette class administered in a hurry.  

it can't be proven, but there are these smoking bans because people/smokers go and smoke their fucking faces off, particularly at concerts.  i mean really, going out for some drinks and smoking 20-40 cigarettes???  if it were somewhat socially moderated you probably wouldn't have all of these whiners.

for the record, it doesn't bother me at all, but some people really can't take it and they might be pussies and all, but when their eyes are watering b/c a place looks and feels like a walk-in ashtray it's probably a bit much.

ScreaminEagle

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2006, 02:26:00 pm »
if you can't stand smoking, don't go to the show.  simple as that.  it pisses me off ot no end when the government makes these kinds of regulations.  if a private club, like the 9:30 club, wants to ban smoking, thats fine, but when the government enforces a smoking ban, it is fascism in my mind.

vansmack

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2006, 02:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by ScreaminEagle:
   but when the government enforces a smoking ban, it is fascism in my mind.
Facism, except that the fine folks of DC elected the city council that voted for the ban.

Other than that, yes, it was Facism.

How 'bout if you need to smoke so badly, you go outside and enjoy your fag?  Why should I have to suffer through your addictive habit?
27>34

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2006, 02:38:00 pm »
That's why I prefer albums to concerts.  No puppets.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2006, 02:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:
  jon stewart recently said something great on the daily show recently (in an interview with washpost reporter juliet eilperin):  "this country is run by extremists because moderates have shit to do"
Actually, it's because most moderates are apathetic. [/b]
i'd say that "political apathy" and "shit to do" kind of go hand-in-hand ... additionally, i'd argue that moderates aren't necessarily "apathetic", but merely that they have a broader interest base and don't fixate on pet topics

there are lots of examples of this ... "common-sense" gun safety measures (not banning all guns, just simple stuff like chamber load indicators and magazine disconnect safeties) are supported by more than 80% of people surveyed, but these people generally don't make gun safety a priority in whatever political advocacy they do ... on the other hand, the 10% or so of the population who are highly motivated about "2nd amendment rights" (and related corporate interests) make this issue their #1 priority and specifically advocate on the topic ... i wonder who wins out in the end?

the same logic holds true with a whole host of public policy concerns

it doesn't necessarily mean that moderates are apathetic (although some certainly are), but really just that they don't put all their political weight behind one or two issues

our political system is set up -- fairly or not -- to reward those who make singular issues like "gun rights" or public smoking bans a priority in voting and political advocacy
(o|o)

sonickteam2

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2006, 02:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

How 'bout if you need to smoke so badly, you go outside and enjoy your fag?  Why should I have to suffer through your addictive habit?
how come every time someone disagrees with these smoking bans, people think its because they cant stand to be without a cigarette.

one of the biggest times i wish i didnt smoke (and there's only few, for i like smoking!) is now, because i dont mind not smoking at a show or more like, not going to a show i cant smoke at, but i DO mind people losing that right, or more like, business owners losing the right to allow smoking.

so these places cannot even have a smoking section or a smoking room in their bar/club/venue.  its just a rip=off, i am highly against it, and its just NOT because i happen to smoke.

but then again, i live in baltimore where you HAVE to smoke!  :)   so all this is really not affecting me  :)

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2006, 02:57:00 pm »
Since when have you ever been on here other than during the smoking debate championing the business owners, you fucking commie Canadian?