Author Topic: What to choose?  (Read 3236 times)

brennser

What to choose?
« on: December 22, 2004, 09:35:00 pm »
I hate to distract folks from the Big Yawn is a joke lovefest but I'd appreciate info on which CD I should choose when I renew my Magnet magazine subscription.

Choices I'm leaning towards are

Neko Case - Tigers
 Elliot Smith - Basement
 Inouk - No Danger
 Comas - Conductor
 Dears - No Cities Left

**edit** some others

Steve Earle - Revolution
 Earlimart - Treble
 Dwarves - Dwarves must die
 John Cale - Hobosapiens
 Sparta - Porcelain
 I have to list a choice plus an alternate - was leaning towards Neko as my first choice but would be open to listening to some new stuff as well - I have not heard any of the other bands but looking at the amazon 'other people who bought this also bought' list I see Inouk w/ Elbow who I love, and the comas w/ the shins who I also love

anyway feel free to chip in w/ suggestions

comments along the lines of why I'm subscribing to a shitty magazine like magnet are not preferred but probably inevitable given the feisty mood of folks on the board today    :D

ratioci nation

Re: What to choose?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 09:41:00 pm »
Well I think the only one of those to get praise on the board so far is the Inouk album, and that was from Walkie.  I have heard none of them, sorry.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 10:02:00 pm »
hmmm Inouk warmed up for Hopes of State and were pretty unimpressive...

The Elliot is good although I haven't given it the time it deserves.
T.Rex

Jaguär

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 10:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:
  Neko Case - Tigers
 Elliot Smith - Basement
 Inouk - No Danger
 Comas - Conductor
 Dears - No Cities Left

Okay, I'll throw some shit on the wall, for what it's worth.

Neko Case: I don't really like her at all but you do and have a big interest so keep that one high on your list. It's just not my kind of music but is definitely your's and that's all that counts.

Elliot Smith: Good album with a few weak tracks that are still not bad at all. The industry, somewhere along the line, seems to be taking advantage of the higher market value on his works due to his death and are charging an extra arm or leg for it so you may want to consider this one. From what I can tell, it's your kind of music too.

Inouk: I wouldn't bother. One or two good tracks with a lot of sophmore filler. Wait for their next album, if they ever get there.

Comas: So far I've only heard a few tracks which I really like. Others weren't impressed that much with their show which makes me question the ones that I haven't heard. Not sure at all if you would even like what I do like. Kurosawa likes them too, if that is any help. They rock a little more than the others in sort of a Garage/60s/slightly Bluesy and Psych kind of way.

Dears: One very good song, "Summer Of Protest", with a lot of lame crap. Unless I'm confusing it with an earlier release. A lot of people I know don't really like them after thinking that they would. Hard to say on this one. You may want to get a better listen for yourself.

For what it's worth, hope this helps. Please let us know what you decide on. Oh, what is the complete listing? Maybe there's a gem or two in there that you haven't considered.

-Edit-

Earlimart: Good choice too. Shoegazey but without the heavy effects saturation of My Bloody Valentine or Stella Luna. Very light and airy in comparison with a lot of twisted lyrics. The newer release is more professional sounding and a pleasant listen. Nothing earth shattering but enjoyable.

Random Citizen

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 10:16:00 pm »
I liked the Sparta album. It's definitely in the emo category, but their songs on this release are very melodic. The track "Hiss the Villain" reminds me of SubPop-era Afghan Whigs.

If I were choosing, I'd go for the Elliott Smith album as my first choice and either Neko or Earlimart as my second choice.

brennser

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 10:37:00 pm »
Oh, what is the complete listing? Maybe there's a gem or two in there that you haven't considered.

Thanks Jag for such a comprehensive reply - as for ones that weren't on my initial list and that I don;t have

Low - The Great Destroyer
 Man Man-Man Man
 Sadies - Favorite Colors
 Solex - The Laughing Stock of Indie Rock
 M83 - Before the dawn heals us
 Gibby Haynes and his problem
 Camper van beetoven - new roman times

ratioci nation

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 10:38:00 pm »
well I guess I would choose the Earlimart album from the edits, just listened to it again yesterday and I agree with Jag, it is nothing amazing but is a solid album

the lead singer was a neighbor of elliot smiths and they were friends, he has said the album is mostly about smith

Jaguär

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 10:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:
  the lead singer was a neighbor of elliot smiths and they were friends, he has said the album is mostly about smith
Interesting. I didn't know that. Those two choices would make a perfect pair!

M83: Very good if you like lush Electronic music. It's not the Electronic type that gets lost once your brain leaves recording studio mode as it's very melodic but if you aren't up for that sort of cerebral experience, it might bore you. I don't know where your tastes lean in that regard.

brennser

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 10:55:00 pm »
The track "Hiss the Villain" reminds me of SubPop-era Afghan Whigs.

hmmm, anything reminiscent of the Whigs has got to be good

Jaguär

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 10:59:00 pm »
LOLOL

Something tells me that we've only made things a little more difficult for you.

Instead of selecting a freebie, you'll be  selecting which you will buy and which you'll hope to pick up on the deal.   :D  

Isn't it always the way with we music lovers?

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2004, 11:59:00 am »
I would recommend The Comas. Pleasant songs as far as I can remember (from listening online). Man Man could be intriguing. Very unusual sound and style. If you like different, go with them. Here's their bio from  Ace Fu's site.
 "Above New York and Philadelphia debris MAN MAN materializes, tender and nightmarish, fastening together Screaming Jay Hawkins, Etta James, 80's pop and Iggy Pop; drawing on Soda Popinski, Mexican funeral marches, religious cults, bad luck, and the pervasive mythology of two-headed wolves and wrangling out something entirely else: peculiarly brilliant, acrobatic, unsettling, romantic, unpretentiously ordered."

And... [slight rant]  I don't understand all of the fuss over The Dears. I've seen them twice and disliked them both times. The singer's voice bugs me.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2004, 12:07:00 pm »
based on the totality of your lists. . i'd recommend low, neko case or earlimart.  

saw the comas the other night opening for luna. . not that good.
OU812

markie

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2004, 12:13:00 pm »
I would recommend against sparta.

I have not heard the album, but the tracks off of it I have heard have been very poor. It got atrocious reviews.

I love their first album wiretap scars......

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2004, 12:14:00 pm »
Definitely go with the Sadies. And then sell it to me for 5 bucks.

redsock

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2004, 12:40:00 pm »
I like the Earlimart album quite a bit. The Sadies album blows. I too haven't geven the Elliott Smith CD enough listens. I saw Man Man play the BC backstage (I was there for another band) and they are by far the oddest live show I've ever seen. I remember at the time wondering if these guys were serious. 8 months later they come out with an album that gets good press. Very interesting group of guys, but I wouldn't waste you free CD on them.