Author Topic: breeders vs. gay guy  (Read 7296 times)

RustyOrgan

Re: breeders vs. gay guy
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2008, 02:21:00 pm »
Albini uses the term 'recorded' and he worked on their new LP 'Mountain Battles' that, i admit, is a grower..

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2008, 03:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:
  michael stipe or kim deal?
slightly tangential: if stipe and deal were to actually fight, who'd win?  my money is on the girl... she's tough-ass and stipe looks like a wimp.  she'd kick his ass, methinks.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2008, 03:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  slightly tangential: if stipe and deal were to actually fight, who'd win?  my money is on the girl... she's tough-ass and stipe looks like a wimp.  she'd kick his ass, methinks.
It would depend on what song he was performing during the fight.  With the right song and his arms flailing around, there's no stopping him.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2008, 04:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  I chose the gay guy and was quite pleased:

These Days / Living Wellâ??s the Best Revenge / Begin the Begin / Whatâ??s the Frequency Kenneth? / Accelerate / Ignoreland / Drive / Man-Sized Wreath / So. Central Rain / Hollow Man /  Auctioneer / Houston / Electrolite / Disturbance at the Heron House / Final Straw / Iâ??ve Been High / Let Me In / Losing My Religion / Bad Day / Horse to Water / Orange Crush / Man on the Moon

ENCORE

Supernatural Superserious / Carnival of Sorts (Box Cars) / Fall On Me / The One I Love / Until the Day is Done /Iâ??m Gonna DJ
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2008, 05:21:00 pm »

Originally posted by walkonby:
  michael stipe or kim deal?
slightly tangential: if stipe and deal were to actually fight, who'd win?  my money is on the girl... she's tough-ass and stipe looks like a wimp.  she'd kick his ass, methinks. [/b]
if it was mid-80s stipe i'd say kim deal hands-down, but he seems to have developed quite a sharp edge during the bush/cheney years
(o|o)

tigersscareme

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »
mobius- i credit josephine wiggs with some of Pod's brilliance too. She's a great bass player. If only her solo records didn't stink on ice.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2008, 06:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:

[qb]if it was mid-80s stipe i'd say kim deal hands-down, but he seems to have developed quite a sharp edge during the bush/cheney years [/b]
i'd put my money on late-80's stipe.
<sig>

bearman🐻

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2008, 12:05:00 am »
Hey...I LOVED the Josephine Wiggs Experience record. Mellow and very warm...I still listen to it all the time.

Great Breeders show tonight by the way! "Iris" was a highlight for me. Far better than I anticipated.

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2008, 12:17:00 am »
Breeders was PHENOMENAL. Sooo amazing, and way better than I expected. Miss P, I don't know where you heard the bad tour reviews, but they were definitely ON for the DC show tonight. THREE Amps songs, three covers, I was a happy camper.

Setlist:

Tipp City
 Huffer
 Bang On
 Shocker in Gloomtown
 Divine Hammer
 Night of Joy
 No Aloha
 Pacer
 We're Gonna Rise
 It's the Love
 Walk it Off
 New Year
 Cannonball
 I Just Wanna Get Along
 Happiness Is A Warm Gun
 Safari
 Iris
 German Studies
 Empty Glasses
 --
 Overglazed
 Drivin' On 9
 Here No More
 Saints

---

The stretch of Happiness is a Warm Gun through German Studies was amazing. I kept asking for Doe, but Kim said she felt like Barbarella when she sung it. "Not necessarily a bad thing, but...you know" I can't complain with a set like this!

I heard the R.E.M. show was amazing too. My friend was following it online and said they did like 3 songs they NEVER do.
Woof.

Mobius

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2008, 12:32:00 am »
R.E.M. was fucking great.  Beautiful night.  Modest Mouse with Johnny Marr were a solid solid opener.  Stipe with no make-up and looking dapper.   Stipe more self confident than ever and his voice still perfect.  Great set w/ tons of highlights.   Rockville seemed particularly poignant; Fall On Me w/ Marr was great; Ignoreland is better than I remembered; Electrolyte great - every era/phase represented well.

breeders set looks awesome. . . sorry to miss that

azaghal1981

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2008, 12:34:00 am »
Yes, the gay guy and  his bandmates were very much on top of their game. So much so that I'm considering philly next wednesday.

The National were solid too.

Modest Mouse were a huge disappointment but then again, I haven't heard one positive thing about their live show in at least three years.
احمد

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2008, 12:40:00 am »
REM setlist:

Finest Worksong
 Living Well Is The Best Revenge
 Bad Day
 What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
 Drive
 Ignoreland
 Man-Sized Wreath
 Little America
 Hollow Man
 Walk Unafraid
 Houston
 Electrolite
 (Don't Go Back to) Rockville
 Pop Song 89
 Horse To Water
 The One I Love
 Driver 8
 Until The Day Is Done
 Let Me In
 These Days
 Orange Crush
 I'm Gonna DJ

Supernatural Superserious
 Losing My Religion
 Mr. Richards
 Fall On Me
 Man On The Moon

bearman🐻

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2008, 09:55:00 am »
Was it just me or was the sound for the Breeders exceptional? Maybe it was where I was standing, but it was a really nice balance of guitars (esp. on Divine Hammer) and a strong bass. The vocals came through beautifully too. Maybe the Deals just finally found a good rhythm section. As good as the REM setlist looks, I'm glad that I made it to the Breeders. Great show.

Bags

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2008, 10:38:00 am »
Loved the REM show.  Note here, I'd seen them three times previously, but not since 1988.  Stipe is a truly changed man.  On the "Reckoning" tour, he stood right at the mic, holding it tightly with a mop of curly hair hiding his face.  On "Green," he was much more animated, but there was still something contained about his performance and movements.  The man has opened that shit up!  He is so confidant, energetic, enthralled and enthralling.  Really fantastic.

Peter Buck back in the day was my guy.  His exuberance was inescapable -- he jumped, he jived, he swooped, he played the hell outta his ax.  The mandolin phase changed him.  He was fairly on last night, but he hasn't retained his rock n' roll glory the way, say, John Doe has.  Buck's clearly transitioned in to a somewhat 'music elder,' for good or naught.  

Mills is adorable as ever.

Scott McCaughey of Young Fresh Fellows and Minus Five fame, who's really been a member of REM for several years, should be introduced sooner.

While I was really, really hoping for "Pretty Persuasion" last night, I'll take "Driver 8" in its stead.

Bombay -- damn you for catching the glorious N. Carolina show with Don Dixon and Mitch Easter joining for the encore of "Pretty Persuasion."  Though if I'd been there, I may have fainted.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2008, 10:54:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:
  Bombay -- damn you for catching the glorious N. Carolina show with Don Dixon and Mitch Easter joining for the encore of "Pretty Persuasion."  Though if I'd been there, I may have fainted.
Actually, they sat-in on "Sitting Still".  To be honest, I could barely even see them from my seat.  I was to the left of Mills and they were on the right of Peter.  Great moment though.