Author Topic: boardie bike ride?  (Read 20929 times)

markie

Re: boardie bike ride?
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2005, 10:25:00 am »
Originally posted by Confessions of Doctor Doom:
  I'll be out of town for the next 6 months but have fun without me!
I hope you are going somewhere without internet access?

Venerable Bede

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2005, 10:25:00 am »
i think i'll drive from cap. hill to dupont to see you guys off, then drive to adams morgan to meet you. . .
OU812

jkeisenh

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2005, 10:26:00 am »
Originally posted by Miss MaRpIe:
  Well my folks will be in town that weekend, so have a better than imaginable time without me.
Should we hold off till 4/30 so you can make it?

markie

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2005, 10:31:00 am »
Originally posted by chimbly sweep:
 Should we hold off till 4/30 so you can make it?
It is your call....

It is heading into serious mountain bike time, but I can normally get back by 3. I would just be on a mountain bike and in muddy, smelly moutain bike stuff.

At least I wouldn't be in the Ireland team strip.....

brennser

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2005, 10:37:00 am »
At least I wouldn't be in the Ireland team strip.....
ooh dearie, I've been spotted   :D

markie

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2005, 10:40:00 am »
Umm. Last night walking down 18th ST I saw this kinda big guy, much taller than me, on a too small for him bike. I thought, "oh dear!" Then I noticed the garish lycra.... Then you were too far past me for it to be worth heckling you.

brennser

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2005, 10:56:00 am »
pity, you love a good heckle....

Then you were too far past me for it to be worth heckling you.

joz

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2005, 11:01:00 am »
i'm seriously considering purchasing a bike. i now have a secure place to store it at night and work in bethesda right off the crescent trail entrance. last time i owned a bike was in college when i bought a used cannondale from a friend and realized later that the thing was a wee bit too big for me. oh, well...lesson learned.

anyway, recommendations would be appreciated...i mainly see myself riding in the city or on trails in the area (doubt i'll be doing any mountain biking anytime soon) so if you could keep that in mind when suggesting bike makes/models.

i know there is a bike shop on M st. across from the key bridge and one off columbia rd. in adams morgan.  are there any other stores you would suggest?

jkeisenh

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2005, 11:07:00 am »
Originally posted by joz:

i know there is a bike shop on M st. across from the key bridge and one off columbia rd. in adams morgan.  are there any other stores you would suggest?
naturally, i recommend city bikes.   ;)
 for mostly road and a little trail riding, i recommend jamis coda, specialized sirrus, cannondale 400 (from the road warrior series), or bianchi boardwalk.  All have road-sized wheels, all but the bianchi have seatpost suspension, and all will be fast, lightweight, flat-bar commuters.

joz

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2005, 11:17:00 am »
thanks chimbly...btw, i probably should've mentioned that i'm a woman. would that change your recommendations?

markie

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2005, 11:25:00 am »
  work in bethesda right off the crescent trail entrance.  
That makes 3 of us......

I work in the same building as MacUpgrades.

nkotb

« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2005, 11:29:00 am »
This is becoming an epidemic...

So, Marple...lunch on Friday?

jkeisenh

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2005, 11:30:00 am »
  thanks chimbly...btw, i probably should've mentioned that i'm a woman. would that change your recommendations?
Nope.  the nice thing about bikes these days is smaller frames = shorter top tubes.  fitting bikes for women is primarily about getting a nice short top tube.

joz

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2005, 11:31:00 am »

work in bethesda right off the crescent trail entrance.  
That makes 3 of us......

I work in the same building as MacUpgrades. [/b]
i'm actually in the building opposite ourisman honda and  barnes and noble (bethesda and woodmont aves)...the trail runs alongside the honda dealership.  is macupgrades over by the CVS?

joz

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2005, 11:34:00 am »
Originally posted by chimbly sweep:

Nope.  the nice thing about bikes these days is smaller frames = shorter top tubes.  fitting bikes for women is primarily about getting a nice short top tube. [/b]
that's good to know. i've heard good things about city bikes' service too. maybe i'll stop in there later this week.

i was so upset about my cannondale. i didn't realize how a couple of inches would make such a difference. the guy i bought it from was not too much taller than me, but enough to make the bike completely uncomfortable to ride.