Author Topic: Long overdue....  (Read 4742 times)

mankie

Long overdue....
« on: December 10, 2003, 02:08:00 pm »
Capitals Fire Coach Bruce Cassidy
 By JOSEPH WHITE
 AP Sports Writer

Coach Bruce Cassidy was fired Wednesday by the Washington Capitals, who are mired at the bottom of the NHL standings despite one of the league's highest payrolls.

Assistant coach Glen Hanlon will replace Cassidy. Hanlon joined the staff last season after spending three seasons as coach of the Portland Pirates, Washington's AHL affiliate.

The Capitals are 8-18-1-1 with 18 standings points, tied with Pittsburgh for fewest in the league.

Washington has struggled with an inexperienced defense and also has had trouble scoring despite a lineup that includes Jaromir Jagr, Peter Bondra and Robert Lang.

Cassidy replaced Ron Wilson in June 2002 in a hiring that was seen as a gamble by general manager George McPhee. Cassidy had no NHL coaching experience, and the best line on his resume was that he was an AHL coach of the year with the Grand Rapids Griffins.

Cassidy arrived to find that his in-your-face style did not always mesh with the NHL's highly paid players. The Capitals made the playoffs last season but were eliminated in the first round by Tampa Bay.

This season, Cassidy has clashed with players, but he also had to deal with a severe talent drain. The money-losing Capitals, looking to trim payroll, no longer have defensemen Calle Johansson (retired) and Ken Klee (departed via free agency). Captain Steve Konowalchuk was traded to Colorado early in the season.

sonickteam2

Re: Long overdue....
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 02:12:00 pm »
well they won 5 games this year!!! what more do they want.

cant wait to see the Bruins / caps game on thursday, we have tickets on the glass right on the Bruins goalline. hot shit.

ggw

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 02:13:00 pm »
Of all the cities with professional hockey, basketball and football teams, Washington DC has the worst collective record this year.

brennser

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 02:14:00 pm »
espn.com headline was funny...."hop along, cassidy"

ratioci nation

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 02:18:00 pm »
I am glad that on the day that my favorite college basketball team appears to be facing huge penalties, 2 pro coaches got fired to take away some of the spotlight.    :D

Oh... and the Blues won again.

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 02:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:

Oh... and the Blues won again.
tell me that in may and i'll think you have something to shout about  :)

sonickteam2

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 02:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Of all the cities with professional hockey, basketball and football teams, Washington DC has the worst collective record this year.
but DC has the most influential rich old white men in America.  doesnt that count for something?

ggw

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 02:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

but DC has the most influential rich old white men in America.  doesnt that count for something? [/b]
huh?

sonickteam2

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 02:33:00 pm »

but DC has the most influential rich old white men in America.  doesnt that count for something? [/b]
huh? [/b]
politicians, my friend.

vansmack

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2003, 02:34:00 pm »
I thought it was Chicago, then Washington.

Bears: 5-8 (skins 5-8)
 Blackhawks: 6-14-5 (Caps 8-18-1)
 Bulls: 5-15 (Wiz 7-13)

Chicago: 16-37-5
 Washington: 20-39-1

Just edging out the powerhouse trios of...

Hawks, falcons, and Thrashers

and

Coyotes, Suns and Cardinals

You folks should be so proud.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2003, 02:40:00 pm »
the thrashers are doing quite well this year, and although they are in the piss division of the NHL, at least they are leading it  :)

vansmack

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2003, 02:51:00 pm »
  the thrashers are doing quite well this year, and although they are in the piss division of the NHL, at least they are leading it    :)  
Only 2 wins over teams with a better than .500 record is indicative of how good the Thrashers team is and both were at home and one is an OT win.  I don't feel like doing the research, but I'm guessing at least one of those wins was on the back end of back-to-back games for the visitor.

The Thrashers leading the division is indicative of how bad the Caps are.
27>34

ggw

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2003, 02:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  I thought it was Chicago, then Washington.

Well when I heard it last week it was probably true.

At least nobody has surpassed us in rich old influential white men  :roll:

mankie

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2003, 03:03:00 pm »

At least nobody has surpassed us in rich old influential white men   :roll:  

[/b]
I bet Boca Raton isn't far off, unless you don't consider jews to be white.

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2003, 03:03:00 pm »
So which free agents are the Orioles going to snag?