Author Topic: Vampire Weekend are the new....?  (Read 7609 times)

Re: Vampire Weekend are the new....?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 05:24:00 pm »
Although I gave Vampire Weekend's album a D+ on my 2007 year end list, I'll take them by a rural mile over Smashing Pumpkins, despite the fact that I am indeed getting old.

Originally posted by sweetcell:
  if we keep this thread going for a few more pages, would vampire weekend be the new smashing pumpkins?

i think the CYHSY comparison is spot-on, personally, as i don't think either band is all that great and don't understand why either one generated that much buzz.  maybe i'm just getting old.

ggw

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 05:40:00 pm »
The best part of overhyped bands is the inevitable hipster backlash. Vampire Weekend gets triple bonus points for eliciting both overhypedness and backlashedness prior to officially releasing their first album.

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 05:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  The best part of overhyped bands is the inevitable hipster backlash. Vampire Weekend gets triple bonus points for eliciting both overhypedness and backlashedness prior to officially releasing their first album.
Which just goes to show how utterly pointless the indie/major dichotomy becomes every day. The indie scene is perfectly capable of eating its own without any help from the majors, thankyouverymuch.

throatneedle

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 01:35:00 pm »
Vampire Weekend actually have talent unlike all of the other idiot bands (except for Franz Ferdinand) you guys named in comparison. CYHSY/Tapes N Tapes are horrible!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 03:13:00 pm »
Blogger friendly IndieBandInABox is perfect description of Tapes N Tapes, I remember being incredible annoyed by them when first hearing them.  Completely disposal and forgettable.

Guitar Center's must doing a booming business these days with their Indie and Emo bandinabox kits... that and giving lessons to all those metal kids dying to get on the cover of Drum Magazine   :roll:
T.Rex

ratioci nation

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by throatneedle:
  Vampire Weekend actually have talent unlike all of the other idiot bands (except for Franz Ferdinand) you guys named in comparison. CYHSY/Tapes N Tapes are horrible!
how did you measure said talent?

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 09:48:00 am »
i don't understand what the huge uproar is.  i liked cyhsy's debut, but not so much that i was gushing all over the place about it.  i, however, really, really like vampire weekend.  i don't know why everyone is treating them like they are god's gift to the world...but they are a good band.

i also don't read pitchfork and almost never read music blogs.  so maybe if you stopped doing so, you a) wouldn't get so pissed off about all their attention and b) wouldn't let others' opinions of the music influence your own.  

just a thought...because typically, a high percentage of these uber-buzz bands blow.  but vamp weekend employ a lot of simple pop hooks that should have a lot more staying power than cyhsy.  and no whiny vocals.

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 09:53:00 am »
But how does one learn about new bands if not by reading pitchfork, music blogs, and god forbid, music venue chatboards?

Originally posted by you be betty:
  i don't understand what the huge uproar is.  i liked cyhsy's debut, but not so much that i was gushing all over the place about it.  i, however, really, really like vampire weekend.  i don't know why everyone is treating them like they are god's gift to the world...but they are a good band.

i also don't read pitchfork and almost never read music blogs.  so maybe if you stopped doing so, you a) wouldn't get so pissed off about all their attention and b) wouldn't let others' opinions of the music influence your own.  

just a thought...because typically, a high percentage of these uber-buzz bands blow.  but vamp weekend employ a lot of simple pop hooks that should have a lot more staying power than cyhsy.  and no whiny vocals.

Tom Cashel

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 09:54:00 am »
Here's how the  inevitable Vampire Weekend backlash is set to progress.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 10:23:00 am »
brilliant

"Only New York's Hugo Lindgren dissents; months ahead of the curve, he concedes their dancebility but notes that "[if] theyâ??d shown up at CBGB circa 1978, these outré Ivy League preppies probably wouldâ??ve been beaten with bicycle chains."

this kinda sums who i feel about several of these highly touted indie or otherwise bands... i.e. Cold War Kids, The Bravery
T.Rex

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 10:26:00 am »
I heard that Vampire Weekend is peddling the backlash themselves, since backlash gets attention and sells records.

Relaxer

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 10:29:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo:
  brilliant

"Only New York's Hugo Lindgren dissents; months ahead of the curve, he concedes their dancebility but notes that "[if] theyâ??d shown up at CBGB circa 1978, these outré Ivy League preppies probably wouldâ??ve been beaten with bicycle chains."

I don't get that. They look to me exactly like the Talking Heads did back then, and they were heroes of CBGB.
oword

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2008, 10:32:00 am »
Maybe art schoolers have more coolguy cred than Ivy Leaguers.

And I wasn't around, but I'm guessing the type of people who hung around CBGB's in 1978 didn't beat people up with anything.

Originally posted by Relaxer:

Originally posted by kosmo:
  brilliant

I don't get that. They look to me exactly like the Talking Heads did back then, and they were heroes of CBGB. [/b]

Chip Chanko

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2008, 11:24:00 am »
I'm just looking forward to the show tonight. They're easy on the ears.

fatskippy

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2008, 03:06:00 pm »
when are they coming on tonight?