Author Topic: Vampire Weekend are the new....?  (Read 7608 times)

andelman

Re: Vampire Weekend are the new....?
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2008, 03:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by fatskippy:
  when are they coming on tonight?
According to the RNR Hotel website, they are coming on at 9:45.

BTW, I think it is unfair to compare Vampire Weekend to Franz Ferdinand.  FF put out 2 very good albums.  CYHSY, however, put out one good album, and one extremely shitty one.  Only time will tell.

I am liking the Vampire Weekend and hoping for a decent show tonight.

azaghal1981

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2008, 03:23:00 pm »
9:45 according to the rnr hotel website (since when do they put showtimes up there?)

احمد

allmy$to930

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2008, 03:32:00 pm »
I have an extra for tonight for face. If interested, send me a PM.

ggw

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2008, 03:37:00 pm »

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »
Funny the comparisons between FF and VW. I find them to be pretty comparable...both are music with lots of style and little heart.

Though I'll take FF's style over VW's style.

Originally posted by sacklunch:

According to the RNR Hotel website, they are coming on at 9:45.

BTW, I think it is unfair to compare Vampire Weekend to Franz Ferdinand.  FF put out 2 very good albums.  CYHSY, however, put out one good album, and one extremely shitty one.  Only time will tell.

I am liking the Vampire Weekend and hoping for a decent show tonight. [/b]

tigersscareme

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »
the lyrics of Walcott make me laugh.
 and maybe miss cape cod a little.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2008, 11:59:00 pm »
Left early...couldn't take the oversold crowd who wouldn't shut up.

chancegardener

• http://www.chancegardener.com
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2008, 01:19:00 am »
I'd only heard the "Kwazza" song before, so went to see them without having heard any of their music previously. Came away a fan. I found their songs to be clever and original, the beats inventive, the bassist, drummer, and especially the keyboardist very fine musicians, and the lead singer/frontman guy personable, gracious and witty.  Their songs had me bopping and singing along ("Blake's got a new face"), and the whole show, at 50 minutes, was short and sweet and just enough.  Yeah the place was crowded, but it's a puny venue.  It was a good fun show. They sold it well, and now I'm gonna buy their record.

Smylie

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2008, 07:20:00 am »
50 mins for a headliner?

allmy$to930

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2008, 08:17:00 am »
I thought they sounded good. They only played one new song (which sounded great) and everything else off the LP.  My only complaint was that they didn't play around with the arrangements.  Most of the stuff sounded exactly like the album. They should have let the drummer go off a bit more.

The fifty minute set was fine with me. It was a $10 show on a weeknight.

And, yes, it was crowded...I could barely lift my arm to get a beer to my mouth. I am pretty quick to complain about noisy crowds but I thought people were pretty well behaved in the middle of the room.

andelman

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2008, 10:06:00 am »
Originally posted by Chip Chanko:
  Left early...couldn't take the oversold crowd who wouldn't shut up.
Yeah, the show definitely seemed to be oversold.  I was all the way in the back during the 1st part of the set and was kind of wishing I had stayed at home.  I agree, they didn't mix up the arrangements much and the live show sounded almost exactly like the album.

That being said, I did enjoy the show more as it went on.  "Oxford Comma" and "Walcott" (the encore) were both very good.  I liked the new song they played as well.  All in all, better than I thought it would be.  I left smiling, despite the heat and crowd, so I guess that is a good thing.

It didn't seem over "chatty" to me, not nearly as bad as other RNR Hotel shows I've seen.
 I think Chip Chanko has very sensitive ears....

fatskippy

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2008, 10:36:00 am »
I will never go back to the rock and roll hotel for anything thats even remotely close to sold out.  What a dreadful place when it is that crowded.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2008, 10:44:00 am »
I agree with that.

Sacklunch, I think it was just more chatty where I stayed in the back. A few people were talking for the entire show. WHY ARE YOU THERE TAKING UP SPACE??? Just put the cd on at home and talk if you're looking for background music or go upstairs.

I will never go back to the rock and roll hotel for anything thats even remotely close to sold out.  What a dreadful place when it is that crowded.

ggw

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2008, 10:59:00 am »
I thought their show was just like the album - catchy and fun.  Nothing astounding; but if you liked the album, you probably liked the show.

Definitely crowded and definitely hot but I didn't find it oppressively so.  I liked that the keyboard player (who looks about 13 years old) kept his enormous scarf on throughout the entire show.

andelman

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2008, 11:02:00 am »
Yeah, I moved up a bit and it wasn't too bad (in regards to chattiness).  I totally agree that sold out shows at the RNR Hotel are a drag.  Maybe someone should have started a petition to move the show to the Black Cat mainstage   ;)