Author Topic: blog backlash  (Read 20806 times)

ratioci nation

Re: blog backlash
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2005, 01:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  blogs have become a new way of networking with like mind people... the ist sites help make the networking a little more formal.  i like dcist.com, seeing as i don't bother reading the post, etc  there is good information to be found on the other dc blogs.  there are somethings that fustrate me about blogs, put they are meant to be personal opinions...
i am not talking about blogs in general, I am talking about how the dc blogs are all up in each others junk

I guess myspace is just a whole other scary beast

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2005, 01:55:00 pm »
I thought Seth said they occasionally did this at the bands' request.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2005, 01:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by ratioci nation:
 i am not talking about blogs in general, I am talking about how the dc blogs are all up in each others junk

that's what i was referring to ... it's very insular, very incestuous, and, like you said, a bit creepy ... but probably not any more so than this place ...
(o|o)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2005, 01:59:00 pm »
well the real Kosmo Vinyl and sometimes Clash manager can be seen on the London Calling 25th anniversary CD/DVD combo.  i merely stole his name because i thought it was cool..

and i did come to realization that this forum has been my long running blog, which is why part of me would like to pull out important bits for the sake of history.  blogging before blogging was cool  :p

i think a lot of city centric blogs get incestous, my brother-in-law is hooked into at least part the nyc blog scene.
T.Rex

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2005, 02:01:00 pm »
  and i did come to realization that this forum has been my long running blog, which is why part of me would like to pull out important bits for the sake of history.  blogging before blogging was cool   :p  
while we're having this meta-discussion ... why don't we upgrade this message board to a better system?  i want a fucking britney spears avatar dammitt!!!
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2005, 02:03:00 pm »
  well the real Kosmo Vinyl and sometimes Clash manager can be seen on the London Calling 25th anniversary CD/DVD combo.  i merely stole his name because i thought it was cool..
Wait.  You're not the Clash's manager?  Son of a bitch!  Can I get all of those fan letters I sent you back please?  Oh, and please don't tell anybody what I wrote - it could be a bit embarrassing for me.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2005, 02:06:00 pm »
even if there is upgrade to a better system, having seen the utter shite used on other forums, i will lobby long and hard against signatures and avatars.  they only clutter things up, just go to one of those freeper sites and tell what you think of such addtional features.  it makes me want to hurl...
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2005, 02:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Wait.  You're not the Clash's manager?  Son of a bitch!  Can I get all of those fan letters I sent you back please?  Oh, and please don't tell anybody what I wrote - it could be a bit embarrassing for me. [/b]
well my advice to you, is never run for public office...  :p
T.Rex

ratioci nation

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2005, 02:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
   but probably not any more so than this place ...
i was including this place   ;)

vansmack

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2005, 02:08:00 pm »
  even if there is upgrade to a better system, having seen the utter shite used on other forums, i will lobby long and hard against signatures and avatars.  they only clutter things up, just go to one of those freeper sites and tell what you think of such addtional features.  it makes me want to hurl...
Cheers to that.  The UBB system is still the preferred system of Smackie.  I recommend it to all of my clients - it's much more professional.

You want avatars - head to the HFSTival Forum.
27>34

Bags

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2005, 02:11:00 pm »
  The 9:30 Forum is my blog.
Ditto.  I actually tried a music and politics blog for me and my friends as we were having full discussions via email among a group of 10 - 20.  It didn't catch on.

I stay here 'cuz I most want to know about local music stuff....and the loonies are so loonie!

As for this DCist, DCeiver, it's a benefit that they inform folks who find the 9:30 Club forum 'ridiculous' off of our forum.  Glad to know they won't have reason to come around.

I'm not sure about the tickets.com information issue as it is public, and we had a good thing going for a while, but what good thing ever lasts (I'm in a dismal mood these days, forgive me).

If we were talking about the posting of pre-sale passwords, that would make me nuts. I won't even email them to friends as I don not want to see them re-distributed.  A PM here and there, perhaps.

Then again, the emergence of pre-sales as a common sales tool is getting ridiculous and out of hand as well.  Sends folks freaking out that they didn't get tickets during the pre-sale "are there no more tickets, am I s.o.l.?" It's gotten crazy.

Bags

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2005, 02:15:00 pm »
The signatures are WAY annoying, more so than the avatars to me, because the avatars are at least bounded within a specific and limited space.  Some folks put friggin' book chapters in their signatures....blech.

Now, question -- is there a particularly useful and informative DC blog?  I'm thinking if so, it's DCist.....?

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2005, 02:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:

and i did come to realization that this forum has been my long running blog, which is why part of me would like to pull out important bits for the sake of history.  blogging before blogging was cool     :p    
while we're having this meta-discussion ... why don't we upgrade this message board to a better system?  i want a fucking britney spears avatar dammitt!!! [/b]
Hear HEAR !

vansmack

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2005, 02:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  Then again, the emergence of pre-sales as a common sales tool is getting ridiculous and out of hand as well.  Sends folks freaking out that they didn't get tickets during the pre-sale "are there no more tickets, am I s.o.l.?" It's gotten crazy.
I blame the user for that though - not the pre-sale.  If people would just stop for a second and take some time to listen to what people have to say about pre-sales, there wouldn't be as much panic.

It's all part of this knee-jerk reaction generation due to the speeds with which information is travelling these days.  Googling has replaced doing research and people have just stopped being analytical.  I question if folks are even thinking anymore these days.  Forums and Blogs have given people places for anonymous bitching.  Do you think these people would be bitching this much if it were in public?
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2005, 02:38:00 pm »
   Do you think these people would be bitching this much if it were in public?
I would (and still do)
(o|o)