Author Topic: blog backlash  (Read 20801 times)

Bags

Re: blog backlash
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2005, 05:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
  hmmmmm, i stand corrected ...
PS, I wasn't trying to be snarky to you Hoya; I think it's interesting that there was true wonder and debate over the practice here as well.

sbma44

« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2005, 05:25:00 pm »
Maybe you should rethink this a bit. You can't have it all.
I don't think they're necessarily in conflict if the password distribution is sufficiently easy to get in on -- maybe charge $1 to join the fanclub or something to guarantee one ticket per CC#.  

But I see what you're saying. I just think your mistake is to equate a lawless, libertarian-ish ticket distribution regime with being free and democratic.  There *do* need to be restrictions on ticket distribution to discourage scalpers, but right now those restrictive mechanisms come in the form of secrets and having to spend time trawling through websites and forums.  That's not a great system -- scalpers can still find tickets, and genuine fans might not hear about the show in time.  Instead the solution should be open and based around limiting individuals' ability to buy for the purpose of reselling at a profit.

Another crazy idea: resell unused (not unclaimed) will-call tickets after X minutes of the opener's set.  Let folks pay a surcharge for "secured" tickets if they aren't sure they can make it to the show in time.  That ought to make scalpers' lives harder by providing a pool of available tickets immediately before the show, and by putting a window on how long they can sell tickets for.  The club'd get to charge twice for unused tickets, too.  You'd have to track individual tickets, but they already use barcode scanners at wolftrap -- couldn't be that hard.

Anyway, these are just ideas. I'm not saying it's a snap to figure out how to do this, but it definitely seems possible.

leafblower

« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2005, 05:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  well the preventing scalping angle was overplayed on my part... i'm just tired of seeing the complaints in the wake of presales/sales for Audioslave, Wilco, Interpol, Garbage, etc...

and my intial point was that it's fine to share information, just do it via email, etc...
I've never had problems getting tickets to any shows at the 930, except for the ones you listed. And those bands should be playing bigger venues anyway.  If a really popular band plays a venue the size of the 930, it's gonna sell out and there are going to be people who can't get tickets.  

Is the problem here that DCist posted the info or that the info was posted at all?  Because many of the other (albeit smaller) local blogs have put up this presale info since I moved here last year.  No one seemd to mind it then.  There is one particular blog I check every Tuesday to find out all the pre sale info b/c they knew the "trick" Catherine just posted about.  To my knowledge no one told them to stop.

And I gotta agree with Catherine that selling tickets 10 at a time isn't exactly discouraging scalpers.  Who here has ever bought 10 tickets at once to a show?

SPARX

« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2005, 05:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by leafblower:

And I gotta agree with Catherine that selling tickets 10 at a time isn't exactly discouraging scalpers.  Who here has ever bought 10 tickets at once to a show? [/b]
( raises hand ) I have

leafblower

« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2005, 05:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by sbma44:

But I see what you're saying. I just think your mistake is to equate a lawless, libertarian-ish ticket distribution regime with being free and democratic.  There *do* need to be restrictions on ticket distribution to discourage scalpers, but right now those restrictive mechanisms come in the form of secrets and having to spend time trawling through websites and forums.  That's not a great system -- scalpers can still find tickets, and genuine fans might not hear about the show in time.  Instead the solution should be open and based around limiting individuals' ability to buy for the purpose of reselling at a profit.

[/b]
And how fair is it when shows sell out during the pre sale?  Only super fans get to see the bands at the 930?  If the casual music fan doesn't get in, how do bands win new fans?

PS - In the interest of full disclosure, I also write for DCist and have my own blog.

leafblower

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2005, 05:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by SPARX:

And I gotta agree with Catherine that selling tickets 10 at a time isn't exactly discouraging scalpers.  Who here has ever bought 10 tickets at once to a show? [/b]
( raises hand ) I have [/b]
Then I stand corrected.  BGut I imagine you're in the minority.  I got 2 or 3 concerts a week and I've never bought 10 tickets for show ever.

SPARX

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2005, 05:45:00 pm »

[/b]
If the casual music fan doesn't get in, how do bands win new fans?

[/b]
I wouldn't think too many people get turned on to a band via the live show(although I'm sure it happens) Most of the time it is word of mouth,radio, internet, magazines, record stores,that get them interested,then they go see them.Unless you have unlimited cash flow to take chances on bands you've never heard,which i think would be rare,that argument doesn't fly.

leafblower

« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2005, 06:07:00 pm »

[/b]

[/b]
I wouldn't think too many people get turned on to a band via the live show(although I'm sure it happens) Most of the time it is word of mouth,radio, internet, magazines, record stores,that get them interested,then they go see them.Unless you have unlimited cash flow to take chances on bands you've never heard,which i think would be rare,that argument doesn't fly. [/b]
So you've never gone to see a band just because someone  told you they were awesome live?

SPARX

« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2005, 06:09:00 pm »

[/b]

[/b]
I wouldn't think too many people get turned on to a band via the live show(although I'm sure it happens) Most of the time it is word of mouth,radio, internet, magazines, record stores,that get them interested,then they go see them.Unless you have unlimited cash flow to take chances on bands you've never heard,which i think would be rare,that argument doesn't fly. [/b]
So you've never gone to see a band just because someone  told you they were awesome live? [/b]
Not w/out hearing them first. Momma didn't raise no fools.

Bags

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2005, 06:15:00 pm »
  So you've never gone to see a band just because someone  told you they were awesome live?
I have, but on very well informed advice (ie, I know where the advice is coming from, what they like, if they understand what I like, etc).

Granted, I don't do this for your random $20-30 show, but for $10, sure.  [Though these days you can usually listen to at least a couple MP3s before you decide...]

That said, the kinds of bands I'd see on a whim are not your big sell-outs.  I'm talking Dressy Bessy at the backstage, etc.

SPARX

« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2005, 06:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

I have, but on very well informed advice (ie, I know where the advice is coming from, what they like, if they understand what I like, etc).

Granted, I don't do this for your random $20-30 show, but for $10, sure.  [Though these days you can usually listen to at least a couple MP3s before you decide...]

That said, the kinds of bands I'd see on a whim are not your big sell-outs.  I'm talking Dressy Bessy at the backstage, etc. [/b]
One must also factor in location of ones self compared to venue in question.Bags,for you I know it's not a lenghty process,for others its simply not the case.I would think in your and others living nearby it would just be a matter of "going out" to hang with whoever told you versus making a specific trek to see an unknown act.            Disclaimer:not trying to be argumentative.

Bags

« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2005, 06:25:00 pm »
You're exactly right, Sparx.  It's as easy as going to my local pub, so that certainly plays in to it.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2005, 06:51:00 pm »
 Is the problem here that DCist posted the info or that the info was posted at all?  Because many of the other (albeit smaller) local blogs have put up this presale info since I moved here last year.  No one seemd to mind it then.
I think this is the crux of things.  It's the cyber-equivalent of telling your friends (smaller blogs) vs. telling the world (larger blogs like DCist).  There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but it's a bit disappointing for those of us who found a way to get ahead of the game a little.

This will be an interesting experiment though.  If the Bright Eyes shows sellout before they even "announce" them, then we'll know the secret is out.  If the shows don't sellout for quite a while, it's a lot of hubbub about nothing.  Maybe eddie can tell us if there's been a huge spike in sales today.

As for Snow Patrol, you'd have to be living under an indie rock to not know about that one.  They've been onsale for over a month now.

vansmack

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2005, 06:55:00 pm »
  And how fair is it when shows sell out during the pre sale?  
This has never happened to my knowledge.  Pre-sale is only for a small percentage of the entire ticket allotment.  Anytime you don't get a ticket in pre-sale, you will always have a shot during the sale to the general public.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2005, 06:58:00 pm »
two things

first of all i will be wearing the dunce hat at the phoenix show, having violated my own information policy.  i should have just emailed catherine direct and explained my personal not reflection anyone elses position on the matter.  never saw a huge debate arising over a small half assed remark, which was a repeat of something said on this board.

secondly, since i continue to get hammered on this... and this is said with tongue firmly planted in cheek.  DCist did its readers who are Fall Out Boys fans a huge disservice by not mentioning when their tickets went quietly on sale.  (ok i peeked once)
T.Rex