Author Topic: Broken Social Scene roll call  (Read 5342 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Broken Social Scene roll call
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 12:44:00 pm »
you can add me to the list.... i found them unbearable at the Belle & Sebstain show this summer.  totally agree with the one reviewer who called them a "dreadful jam band".  to me it sounds like it's a case of my girlfriend's brother's dog walker also plays french horn he should be in the band also...
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 12:55:00 pm »
i thought the show was good. but not great.

yeah, perhaps with all of their parts, but it seems like the band has run their course, save a few "reunion" shows down the road.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 01:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  you can add me to the list.... i found them unbearable at the Belle & Sebstain show this summer.  totally agree with the one reviewer who called them a "dreadful jam band".  to me it sounds like it's a case of my girlfriend's brother's dog walker also plays french horn he should be in the band also...
if that was your only exposure to BSS then you owe yourself another look ... that was a pretty sub-par show all around
(o|o)

lukiedookie89

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2006, 01:08:00 pm »
Agreed that the female vocalist wasn't great last night, but she wasn't awful.  I definitely would have preferred to see Amy, Feist, or Emily.  Amy's performance at Merriweather was just amazing.  Other than that, I really enjoyed the show.

bkrome

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 02:46:00 pm »
I was at Sonar last night and overall, I was very impressed.  The set list was fantastic..if someone has it, that would be nice to see posted. I was extremly impressed by Kevin Drew, and I did not think Lisa Lobsinger was half bad.  Very entertaining show, can't wait till they come around again!

I Dare

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 03:02:00 pm »
Lobsinger can go screw.

letloverule7

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2006, 03:13:00 pm »
I went to the Sonar show last night. It was a good show. I love BSS. Their music is so honest and engaging.
 Lisa Lobsinger the new female vocalist is dreadful. I really wanted her to carry on the legacy left by Feist, Amy and Emily Haines. She fell short of my expectations. I am not a hater, but my honest feedback is she has very little stage pressence. Kevin clearly does not trust her, as he sings most of her parts.
 The violin player is great. Can she sing?
 I hope the sound is better at the 930 club than it was last night at Sonar. I gave up my Death Cab tix to see them last night at Sonar, and I am seeing them again tonight at the 930. I am obsessed.

xcanuck

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2006, 04:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by letloverule7:
  The violin player is great. Can she sing?
 I hope the sound is better at the 930 club than it was last night at Sonar. I gave up my Death Cab tix to see them last night at Sonar, and I am seeing them again tonight at the 930. I am obsessed.
That would be Julie Penner. She doesn't usually sing.

I'll be there tonite and in Ann Arbor for the final show of the tour. *sniff*

Vas Deferens

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2006, 05:40:00 pm »
I don't have very high expectations tonight. The first time I've seen them will probably be the best:

Broken Social Scene / Stars
 November 20, 2003
 Great American Music Hall
 San Francisco

*sigh*
(_|_)

SalParadise

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 01:39:00 am »
Originally posted by Joe M.:
  I don't have very high expectations tonight. The first time I've seen them will probably be the best:

Broken Social Scene / Stars
 November 20, 2003
 Great American Music Hall
 San Francisco

*sigh*
*applauds your wheelie*

Vas Deferens

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2006, 02:58:00 am »
Fantastic show by both bands. Do Make Say Think were just fucking unbelievable. Their one hour performance was worth the price of admission alone.

BSS were amazing as always, though they played some filler near the end...but redeemed themselves with the last two songs, "It's All Gonna Break" and "KC Accidental". Lisa Lobsinger did a commendable job. No complaints from her...I actually think Feist is too bubbly and hyper, and Amy's not too great to look at. So Lisa Lobsinger = SEXXYTIME, HI-FIVE!

Lots of highlights but definitely one of the best BSS gigs in my book. The worst will still be the Merriweather gig this past summer.
(_|_)

Reod Dai

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2006, 05:33:00 am »
Originally posted by xcanuck:
 All the songs that you'd expect, plus Jason Collett leading the band in "I'll Bring The Sun" from his solo release.
Wait, I didn't think he was going to be with them this time around.  Damn.  That's one of my favorite songs by him, too.  I so should have gone to the Sonar show.   :(

I Dare

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2006, 08:41:00 am »
Still wish they played lover's spit.

They may have at the 930 show, but I had to leave early cause I took the metro in.

kcjones119

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2006, 08:42:00 am »
They also played Dino Jr's "The Wagon," prettay..prettay..prettay..prettay..good.

I'm pretty sure Lover's Spit was the first song they played.

friarfunk

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2006, 10:10:00 am »
"Lover's Spit" was the first song and a really good pick to start it off.  I agree that Do Make Say Think were a great opener--the club was rumbling with the amount of sound they were pushing out.  Longest show I've ever seen at 9:30, with some stellar moments--the "It's All Gonna Break" and "KC Accidental" finale and the amped-up version of "Major Label Debut" (now with four electric guitars!) made the night. Broken Social Scene was like the Boston of the "indie" scene, and I love them for it.