Author Topic: Recommendation  (Read 3908 times)

Barcelona

Recommendation
« on: March 29, 2005, 04:29:00 pm »
Here in South America it can be pretty difficult to buy good alternative (you are all allowed to criticize the term, but still, make some recommendations) music. I need to download good music from soulseek. Any recommendations for someone who likes bands such as Pixies, Pavement, The Doors, Arcade Fire, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Talking Heads, Jonathan Richman, Kings of Convenience, Ballboy, Grandaddy, Fleetwood Mac and other similar bands (feel free to criticize my musical taste, but don't leave the thread without making suggestions).

ratioci nation

Re: Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 04:38:00 pm »
Guided by Voices

:D  

i'll think about it

sonickteam2

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 04:40:00 pm »
the 5 bands i cant stop listening to this month:

Built Like Alaska
 Mercury Rev
 the Features
 Arab Strap
 Dead Meadow

Barcelona

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 04:51:00 pm »
Sonickteam2, thanks for the recommendations, will look into those.

Jadatree, I was thinking about Foo Fighters as well. Really, there was one song in the album "Do the collapse" that I liked, but still had to use that album as a gift.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 04:57:00 pm »
do the collapse is the worst gbv album. try alien lanes or bee thousand or under the bushes under the stars
o/\o

SPARX

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 04:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by Barcelona:

Jadatree, I was thinking about Foo Fighters as well. Really, there was one song in the album "Do the collapse" that I liked, but still had to use that album as a gift.
DTC was one of the weaker efforts in the Pollard cannon IMHO mainly due to Ric Ocasek's overbearing presence in the studio. If you really want to give GBV a chance try Alien Lanes or Under the Bushes Under the Stars as a starting point.              Edit:yeah,what GS said. I'm a slow typist

ratioci nation

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 04:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  do the collapse is the worst gbv album. try alien lanes or bee thousand or under the bushes under the stars
it was a just a joke suggestion, he has a long dislike of GBV based on a concert experience

Barcelona

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 04:58:00 pm »
Maybe that's why I don't like them, that's the only album I got from them.

Barcelona

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 05:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by ratioci nation:

it was a just a joke suggestion, he has a long dislike of GBV based on a concert experience [/b]
Concert experience and that specific album, maybe it's the altitude in the Bolivian highlands, but I am willing to give them a second chance, best album?

Fico

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 05:05:00 pm »

Maybe that's why I don't like them, that's the only album I got from them. [/b]
- Doves
 - the National
 - Sea Ray

ratioci nation

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2005, 05:07:00 pm »
 Concert experience and that specific album, maybe it's the altitude in the Bolivian highlands, but I am willing to give them a second chance, best album?
asking a GBV fan to name a favorite album is asking for more opinions than you want, I will say Propellor though

non worshipers seem to like the greatest hits album released last year

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 05:08:00 pm »
The new Josh Rouse album is good...the only album I've purchased in the last month and a half. You can listen to three of his songs by going to his website.

SPARX

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 05:08:00 pm »
Personally, I think if you don't enjoy Alien Lanes then they're just not your cup o' tea.  As for best album, we could debate that one endlessly.

BookerT

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 05:08:00 pm »
i was in santiago de chile last year and there were some pretty good record stores. i suppose in a huge city like that it's not too surprising, but they had lots of the "big indie" stuff from the states.

in any case:

the ponys
 neutral milk hotel
 spoon
 jesus & mary chain
 dinosaur jr.

are five random things that popped into my head.

SPARX

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 05:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by BookerT:
  i was in santiago de chile last year and there were some pretty good record stores. i suppose in a huge city like that it's not too surprising, but they had lots of the "big indie" stuff from the states.

in any case:

the ponys
 neutral milk hotel
 spoon
 jesus & mary chain
 dinosaur jr.

are five random things that popped into my head.
Good suggestions. As for NMH, have you heard Graham Smiths new one? He's definitely got a NMH vibe going.