Author Topic: DC Area Voters  (Read 142422 times)

Frank Gallagher

Re: DC Area Voters
« Reply #345 on: February 27, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:
  I respect Ralph Nader a lot.  But he's a fool for waiting this late considering he hardly has any money.  How's he going to get on the ballots?  Now, Bloomberg has the $$$ to get his name on all fifty but Nader doesn't.  Which mean write-ins.  Which aren't even counted unless it's a REALLY close election.  I'm not criticizing Nader for running but if he wanted to run he should have announced about nine months ago.

Brian
Respecting Nader is like respecting Mr. Rogers...he's mildly entertaining if you have the maturity of a 5 year old, but other than that every breathe he takes is just a waste of our quickly-dwindling natural resources, and taking the breath out of someone more deserving, like the lizard that lives on our patio.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #346 on: February 27, 2008, 12:48:00 pm »
UM DEEEEEWWWWWD!!!!!

RIRA

Subsequent activities
 Since McKevitt's imprisonment, the RIRA has regrouped and continues to be active in the UK and the Republic of Ireland. The RIRA claimed responsibility for a series of firebomb attacks against premises in Belfast in November 2004,[84] and an attack on a Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) patrol in Ballymena during March 2006 was attributed to the RIRA by the Independent Monitoring Commission (IMC).[85] On 9 August 2006 a number of fire bomb attacks by the RIRA hit businesses in Newry, County Down. Buildings belonging to JJB Sports and Carpetright were destroyed, and ones belonging to MFI and TK Maxx were badly damaged.[86] On 27 October 2006, a large amount of explosives were found in Kilbranish, Mount Leinster, County Carlow by police, who believe the RIRA were trying to derail the peace process with a bomb attack.[87] The IMC believe the RIRA was also responsible for a failed mortar attack on Craigavon PSNI Station on 4 December 2006.[88][89] The IMC's October 2006 report stated that the RIRA remains "active and dangerous' and that it seeks to "sustain its position as a terrorist organisation".[85] The RIRA has previously stated it has no intention of calling a ceasefire unless a declaration of intent to withdraw from Northern Ireland is made by the British Government.[7]

On 8 November 2007 two RIRA members shot an off-duty Catholic PSNI officer as he sat in his car on Bishop Street in Derry, causing injuries to his face and arm.[90] On 12 November another PSNI member was shot by RIRA members in Dungannon, County Tyrone.[90][91] On 7 February 2008, the RIRA stated that, after experiencing a three-year period of reorganisation, it intends to "go back to war" by launching a new offensive against "legitimate targets".[92] It also, despite having initially apologised for the Omagh bombing,[93] denied any large scale involvement with the attack and said that their part had only gone as far as their codeword being used.[92]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_IRA

ggw

« Reply #347 on: February 27, 2008, 12:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by manimtired:
  bono should focus more of his efforts on saving ireland instead of africa.
He is too busy tearing down historic buildings and avoiding paying Irish taxes to care much about Ireland or Africa.

Arthwys

« Reply #348 on: February 27, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »
Emrys

« Reply #349 on: February 27, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »
Ralph Nader has done more good for the people of this country than all of the other candidates combined. Of course, he did almost all of it before ever deciding to run for President.

Please start your education by watching this documentary:

http://www.anunreasonableman.com/

Originally posted by Brain Walrus:

I respect Ralph Nader a lot.  But he's a fool for waiting this late considering he hardly has any money.  How's he going to get on the ballots?  Now, Bloomberg has the $$$ to get his name on all fifty but Nader doesn't.  Which mean write-ins.  Which aren't even counted unless it's a REALLY close election.  I'm not criticizing Nader for running but if he wanted to run he should have announced about nine months ago.

Brian
Respecting Nader is like respecting Mr. Rogers...he's mildly entertaining if you have the maturity of a 5 year old, but other than that every breathe he takes is just a waste of our quickly-dwindling natural resources, and taking the breath out of someone more deserving, like the lizard that lives on our patio. [/b]

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #350 on: February 27, 2008, 01:02:00 pm »
  TK Maxx
is this a TJ Maxx copy-cat?  my favorite rip-off from my time in Dublin was the Mick Donnell's on O'Connell

EDIT:  there was a hilarious blatant rip-off on Johnny Rocket's, can't remember the name though
(o|o)

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #351 on: February 27, 2008, 01:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:

TK Maxx
is this a TJ Maxx copy-cat?  my favorite rip-off from my time in Dublin was the Mick Donnell's on O'Connell

EDIT:  there was a hilarious blatant rip-off on Johnny Rocket's, can't remember the name though [/b]
TK Maxx is TJ Maxx in Britain/Ireland....not sure why they change the J to a K, but they do.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #352 on: February 27, 2008, 01:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Ralph Nader has done more good for the people of this country than all of the other candidates combined. Of course, he did almost all of it before ever deciding to run for President.

Please start your education by watching this documentary:

http://www.anunreasonableman.com/

Brian
Respecting Nader is like respecting Mr. Rogers...he's mildly entertaining if you have the maturity of a 5 year old, but other than that every breathe he takes is just a waste of our quickly-dwindling natural resources, and taking the breath out of someone more deserving, like the lizard that lives on our patio. [/b]
[/b]
Can  you give me a condensed version because I have neither the time or interest to read the rambling propoganda of some Naderite.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #353 on: February 27, 2008, 01:57:00 pm »
  Can  you give me a condensed version because I have neither the time or interest to read the rambling propoganda of some Naderite.
We have seat belts in cars mainly because of Ralph Nader.  More or less.

Brian

Venerable Bede

« Reply #354 on: February 27, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »

[/b]
and we get monetary compensation for being involuntarily bumped from an airplane.
OU812

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #355 on: February 27, 2008, 04:23:00 pm »

Brian [/b]
So all those who die in fiery car crashes or drown if their car becomes submerged have big-brother Nader to thank.

Great...whatta guy!   :roll:

vansmack

« Reply #356 on: February 27, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »
Yes, all 10 of them a year Mankie.

Anyhow, Obama Reaches 1 Million Donor Mark
27>34

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #357 on: February 27, 2008, 07:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  What I really need is a Hillary supporter to explain to me what on earth she was doing referencing a parody show (SNL) after she complained about being asked the first question two times in a row.

I was shocked a Democrat was booed at the last debate.  I was doubly shocked she didn't get booed more the second time.  Who on earth is coaching her?
The opening sketch parodied the media's obsession with Obama.  Both candidates were made fun of, but the end of the sketch focused especially on news correspondants (it was either for CNN or MSNBC) drooling over Obama.  Funny stuff.
 Then the opening monologue very subtly parodied Obama's speeches...

And finally, in what I like to think was one of the greatest television moments of all time, Tina Fey (who was hosting their first show back after the strike) essentially endorsed Hillary:
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DJbUhyhxv8

(Before that, Huckabee actually came on to weekend update too and made fun of himself, and it was pretty awesome...)

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #358 on: February 27, 2008, 07:11:00 pm »
oh but yeah, what I forgot to say was, it was kind of silly to mention SNL when she was making a valid point without it...I thought the little namedrop there completely weakened her remark

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #359 on: February 27, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »
So, Nader helped save a few thousand lives in the 60s by advocating for seat belts (which probably would have happened sooner or later anyway).  

And he probably has helped a few thousand fuzzy-minded people feel righteous through his "Public Interest Research Groups," (PIRG), even though it is difficult to document even one achievement of these groups other than annoying suburbanites all over greater DC with their door-to-door fund raising.

I figure though, that he has somewhat offset these contributions by his 2000 Presidential bid by helping elect Dubya and spreading the lie that W and Gore were identical.  He has played a direct contribution to the deaths of thousands of Americans in Iraq, the wounding of thousands more, the killing of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis, and the bankrupting of our economy through that war.

Heck, he even ruined the Green Party -- thanks to their contribution to 2000 and everything that's followed, they are forever finished as a political force.

Now he seems to want to try to help McCain into office -- no wonder Republicans continue to fund his campaign efforts.
_\|/_