Author Topic: DC Area Voters  (Read 142409 times)

ratioci nation

Re: DC Area Voters
« Reply #360 on: February 27, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by you be betty:
  The opening sketch parodied the media's obsession with Obama.  Both candidates were made fun of, but the end of the sketch focused especially on news correspondants (it was either for CNN or MSNBC) drooling over Obama.  Funny stuff.
 Then the opening monologue very subtly parodied Obama's speeches...

And finally, in what I like to think was one of the greatest television moments of all time, Tina Fey (who was hosting their first show back after the strike) essentially endorsed Hillary:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DJbUhyhxv8  

(Before that, Huckabee actually came on to weekend update too and made fun of himself, and it was pretty awesome...)
I think he was looking for an explanation why a presidential candidate would point to a parody show as evidence of anything.  Although vansmack may wish to correct me.

ratioci nation

« Reply #361 on: February 27, 2008, 07:14:00 pm »
nevermind, you followed up your original response

ratioci nation

« Reply #362 on: February 27, 2008, 07:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
  So, Nader helped save a few thousand lives in the 60s by advocating for seat belts (which probably would have happened sooner or later anyway).  

And he probably has helped a few thousand fuzzy-minded people feel righteous through his "Public Interest Research Groups," (PIRG), even though it is difficult to document even one achievement of these groups other than annoying suburbanites all over greater DC with their door-to-door fund raising.

I figure though, that he has somewhat offset these contributions by his 2000 Presidential bid by helping elect Dubya and spreading the lie that W and Gore were identical.  He has played a direct contribution to the deaths of thousands of Americans in Iraq, the wounding of thousands more, the killing of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis, and the bankrupting of our economy through that war.

Heck, he even ruined the Green Party -- thanks to their contribution to 2000 and everything that's followed, they are forever finished as a political force.

Now he seems to want to try to help McCain into office -- no wonder Republicans continue to fund his campaign efforts.
you are short changing him a bit, he not only worked on seat belts, he had a major role in the Safe Drinking Water Act; the launching of federal regulatory agencies such as the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Environment Protection Agency (EPA), and Consumer Product Safety Administration; the recall of millions of defective motor vehicles and access to government through the Freedom of Information Act of 1974 just to name a few

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #363 on: February 27, 2008, 07:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by pdx pollard:
  you are short changing him a bit, he not only worked on seat belts, he had a major role in the Safe Drinking Water Act; the launching of federal regulatory agencies such as the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Environment Protection Agency (EPA), and Consumer Product Safety Administration; the recall of millions of defective motor vehicles and access to government through the Freedom of Information Act of 1974 just to name a few
I would still suggest that all of this will be forgotten compared to his most lasting legacy of getting Dubya elected in 2000.
_\|/_

vansmack

« Reply #364 on: February 27, 2008, 07:34:00 pm »
  I think he was looking for an explanation why a presidential candidate would point to a parody show as evidence of anything.  Although vansmack may wish to correct me.
Spot on.  I saw the skit, I laughed aloud - it was funny.  

I cringed when she cried about being asked the question first (which, some in a debate would welcome as the rebuttal usually gets the last word), but my jaw dropped when she referenced SNL as the justification for her complaint.

It reminded me a time in law school when I was arguing a point in my Law on Terrorism class and I couldn't think of a concrete example to share with the class that illustrated my point, so I cited a scene from either In the Name of the Father or Michael Collins (I can't remember which) and afterwards the professor busted my chops for citing such a reliable source as "Hollywood's version of History."  I'll never forget it, but that what school's for.  To site a parody show in a national debate nearly made my head explode.

I mean, if she was trying to be hip and funny, it flopped, because it came out looking like she really meant it.  If she really meant it, it was dead before it came out of her mouth.
27>34

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #365 on: February 28, 2008, 10:42:00 am »

Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
  So, Nader helped save a few thousand lives in the 60s by advocating for seat belts (which probably would have happened sooner or later anyway).  

And he probably has helped a few thousand fuzzy-minded people feel righteous through his "Public Interest Research Groups," (PIRG), even though it is difficult to document even one achievement of these groups other than annoying suburbanites all over greater DC with their door-to-door fund raising.

I figure though, that he has somewhat offset these contributions by his 2000 Presidential bid by helping elect Dubya and spreading the lie that W and Gore were identical.  He has played a direct contribution to the deaths of thousands of Americans in Iraq, the wounding of thousands more, the killing of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis, and the bankrupting of our economy through that war.

Heck, he even ruined the Green Party -- thanks to their contribution to 2000 and everything that's followed, they are forever finished as a political force.

Now he seems to want to try to help McCain into office -- no wonder Republicans continue to fund his campaign efforts.
you are short changing him a bit, he not only worked on seat belts, he had a major role in the Safe Drinking Water Act; the launching of federal regulatory agencies such as the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Environment Protection Agency (EPA), and Consumer Product Safety Administration; the recall of millions of defective motor vehicles and access to government through the Freedom of Information Act of 1974 just to name a few [/b]
OSHA....The organisation that excuses employees from being responsible for their own stupidity in the workplace, and blames the employer instead.

Consumer product safety, aka the department of stating the bleeding obvious.
 E.G. Warning on hairdryer "DO NOT SUBMERGE IN WATER" No shit genius!!

Again...whattaguy!!

ggw

« Reply #366 on: February 28, 2008, 11:14:00 am »
Originally posted by vansmack:

I cringed when she cried about being asked the question first (which, some in a debate would welcome as the rebuttal usually gets the last word), but my jaw dropped when she referenced SNL as the justification for her complaint.

It reminded me a time in law school when I was arguing a point in my Law on Terrorism class and I couldn't think of a concrete example to share with the class that illustrated my point, so I cited a scene from either In the Name of the Father or Michael Collins (I can't remember which) and afterwards the professor busted my chops for citing such a reliable source as "Hollywood's version of History."  I'll never forget it, but that what school's for.  To site a parody show in a national debate nearly made my head explode.

I mean, if she was trying to be hip and funny, it flopped, because it came out looking like she really meant it.  If she really meant it, it was dead before it came out of her mouth. [/b]
After the debate Tim Russert pointed out that when he asked a "toss-up" question, Hillary jumped in to be the first to answer it.

vansmack

« Reply #367 on: February 28, 2008, 05:33:00 pm »
Nader Names a Running mate:

Matt Gonzalez to be Nader's Running mate

I expect every one except Venerable (and maybe xneverewherex) to say "who?"

Exactly.  I've owned this guy in many debates here on campus in SF.  I can't wait to see him step in it.
27>34

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #368 on: February 28, 2008, 06:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

I mean, if she was trying to be hip and funny, it flopped, because it came out looking like she really meant it.  If she really meant it, it was dead before it came out of her mouth. [/b]
After the debate Tim Russert pointed out that when he asked a "toss-up" question, Hillary jumped in to be the first to answer it. [/b]
I saw that!  
 Anyway, I really think she was just trying to be funny and hip and relate to her younger audience, but as we all know it didn't quite work.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #369 on: February 28, 2008, 06:17:00 pm »
  Nader Names a Running mate:

Matt Gonzalez to be Nader's Running mate

I expect every one except Venerable (and maybe xneverewherex) to say "who?"

Exactly.  I've owned this guy in many debates here on campus in SF.  I can't wait to see him step in it.
funny - havent heard his name in quite awhile.  :)
HeyLa

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #370 on: February 28, 2008, 07:18:00 pm »
Nader

"Hello, Hey Gonzo It's Ralph...I've decided to run again and make a total horses ass of myself like I always do. Anyhooo, I was thinking, I need someone who's as big an idiot as me and who's open to ridicule to run as my veep. What do  you think?"

Gonzales

"Fuck yeah, I'm in!"

ggw

« Reply #371 on: February 29, 2008, 03:58:00 pm »
Looks like Hillary has a copy of the Karl Rove Playbook also:

"Itâ??s 3 a.m. and your children are safe and asleep. But thereâ??s a phone in the White House and itâ??s ringing.

Somethingâ??s happening in the world. Your vote will decide who answers that call, whether itâ??s someone who already knows the worldâ??s leaders, knows the military â?? someone tested and ready to lead in a dangerous world.

Itâ??s 3 a.m. and your children are safe and asleep. Who do you want answering the phone?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M70emIFxETs

ratioci nation

« Reply #372 on: February 29, 2008, 04:03:00 pm »
fuck Hillary, she crosses too many lines

Mobius

« Reply #373 on: February 29, 2008, 05:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Looks like Hillary has a copy of the Karl Rove Playbook also:

"Itâ??s 3 a.m. and your children are safe and asleep. But thereâ??s a phone in the White House and itâ??s ringing.

Somethingâ??s happening in the world. Your vote will decide who answers that call, whether itâ??s someone who already knows the worldâ??s leaders, knows the military â?? someone tested and ready to lead in a dangerous world.

Itâ??s 3 a.m. and your children are safe and asleep. Who do you want answering the phone?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M70emIFxETs
I think this resonates with no one.

The 'ready to lead on day one' is a loser - esp since its not clear why she's more ready to lead on day one.

And who the f**k is on the other end of the line?  A drunk-dialing world leader who wants to come over or he'll do something drastic?  Retarded.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #374 on: February 29, 2008, 07:37:00 pm »
I'm also not sure how her "experience" qualifies her for this.  Even presuming she was sleeping in the same bed as Bill, the most her experience in a situation like this meant would've been that she would've been woken up by the sound of the phone while Bill took the call.

I very much hope there will be a woman president some day, but it's not going to be Hillary. It's much more likely going to be someone who rose to that stature on her own, rather than on the coattails of a political marriage.
_\|/_