Author Topic: Ticket Ordering System Must Be Changed  (Read 3589 times)

georgewendt

Ticket Ordering System Must Be Changed
« on: November 09, 2006, 11:20:00 am »
Holy crap, I just bought Gogol Bordello tickets online.  How is it that two $20 tickets come to a total of $53.50?  

20    (Ticket)
            20    (Ticket)
             9.50 (Convenience Fee)
             4    (Handling Fee)
           ----------
           $53.50

Clearly, we're getting bent over and reamed here.  I'm fine with the ticket price, but that $4 handling fee just covers tickets.com mailing me the tickets, which is totally separate from the "convenience" fee.  I know this is an old gripe and I know that ticket agents are necessary, but this is excessive and there seems to be no end to the price escalation in sight.
 So, how do we solve it?  Its not like we're going to stop seeing shows, so the fans can't do it.  It's not like the bands can fix it (see Pearl Jam).  I think the venues need to come up with a better system if the ticket agents aren't going to be reasonable about prices of their own accord.  What do you guys think?

Vas Deferens

Re: Ticket Ordering System Must Be Changed
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 11:29:00 am »
What do you suggest? Ticketmaster?
 You could have bought tickets at the box office for $1 a ticket charge. It's very highly unlikely that Gogol Bordello will be sold out in a week...
(_|_)

Relaxer

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 12:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by georgewendt:
  What do you guys think?
I think the forums need a search function.
oword

bigyellow100

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 12:13:00 pm »
i dont understand why for will call you are charged extra.  its understandable if your tix are actually shipped to you.

amnesiac

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 12:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by Joe M.:

I actually think Tickemaster is better. They don't charge for standard mail delivery or will-call. And they can handle the surges for the big shows, instead of putting you in a "virtual waiting room".

azaghal1981

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 12:25:00 pm »
They do still have 2 separate fees though. The convenience fee which is typically slightly more than tickets.com and an internet processing fee which is like $4.50. This guy would've paid somewhere closer to $60 for those tickets if TM was used. Then again, the TM convenience fee varies depending on the price of the ticket(s).

Originally posted by amnesiac:

I actually think Tickemaster is better. They don't charge for standard mail delivery or will-call. And they can handle the surges for the big shows, instead of putting you in a "virtual waiting room". [/b]
احمد

amnesiac

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 12:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  They do still have 2 separate fees though. The convenience fee which is typically slightly more than tickets.com and an internet processing fee which is like $4.50.  
That's right - I forgot about that. I usually buy at the box office anyway, whenever possible.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 01:06:00 pm »
  I actually think Tickemaster is better. They don't charge for standard mail delivery or will-call. And they can handle the surges for the big shows, instead of putting you in a "virtual waiting room".
sing it...

that virtual waiting room is my only real beef with tickets.com - i'd be happy to support them if they could deal with surges.  

i believe that the difference between the two is political, i.e. TM is the big corporate meanie while tickets.com is perceived as the indie little guy.  their prices aren't that different - that's why i'd rather have TM, given their ability to handle surges.  

also, i've gotten TM to re-issue tickets i've lost, which was nice - dunno if tickets.com can do that.
<sig>

ggw

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 01:18:00 pm »
Tickets.com is owned by Major League Baseball.  Not really too indie.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 01:50:00 pm »
Are you willing to pay higher service charges to have lots of servers sitting around doing nothing so that it they can handle the occasional 15 minute surge in ordering?  If you land in the Virtual Waiting Room it's a good sign the show is already soldout.  It's not going to take very long for 500 or lower orders to be placed.  Granted people can lose orders due to browser crashes, bad credit card numbers, etc, which is why it's worth retrying but... As explained here before those Virtual Waiting rooms are created so that the servers don't crash while existing orders are being processed.

Besides Ticketmaster has their own waiting system in place.  When I got U2 there was a screen that appeared which said my order would be processed in xx number of minutes which fluctuated as time went by.  Obviously seeing 20K tickets is going to take longer than 1000 tickets.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 01:55:00 pm »
Are bands still using musictoday to presale their own tickets?  While I recall lower service fees they  still existed.
T.Rex

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 02:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  Besides Ticketmaster has their own waiting system in place.  When I got U2 there was a screen that appeared which said my order would be processed in xx number of minutes which fluctuated as time went by.  Obviously seeing 20K tickets is going to take longer than 1000 tickets.
I've seen that plenty of times.  

I always got the impression the TM "waiting room" was a queue.  I get the impression that the tickets.com "waiting room" just dumps you there, then retries every 30 seconds or so.  It seemed more a way to stop people from hitting "refresh" repeatedly, rather than giving them a place in line.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 02:06:00 pm »
Yes there is a difference... But as you said the Tickets.com virtual waiting is in place to slow people down... The key question would be whether or not it gets put into place before or after the tickets have are snapped up?  Obviously only a tickets.com person would be able to answer that question...
T.Rex

terry

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 02:27:00 pm »

I actually think Tickemaster is better. They don't charge for standard mail delivery or will-call. And they can handle the surges for the big shows, instead of putting you in a "virtual waiting room". [/b]
They don't charge you for standard mail delivery but they do charge to have them emailed. THAT I never understood.

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 02:56:00 pm »
Like my computer class instructor from Serbia said last week:

You Americans, you are a country of Why? Why? Why? I am from Serbia. When they say it's so, it is so.

Originally posted by terry:

They don't charge you for standard mail delivery but they do charge to have them emailed. THAT I never understood. [/b]