Author Topic: So what do you think of the new site?  (Read 32374 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: So what do you think of the new site?
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2008, 06:45:53 pm »
Let me revise my statement by saying that the borders on the left and right sides are horrendous.

i'm thinking of starting a facebook group to protest those borders.  they completely clash with the rest of the site.  plain black borders would be SOOOOOOO much easier on the eyes.
None more black None more black None more black None more black None more black None more black None more black None more black None more black None more black None more black None more black None more black

vassego

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2008, 07:12:05 pm »
Let me start with a congrats.  Redesigning sites is hard work, and you never satisfy everyone.  Overall, I think you guys made some cool design decisions (staff in the merch photos = awesome, loving the club photo on the home page, and the forum colors are great - not touching the borders...).

I didn't see anyone mention anything about the listing of shows.  I would love to see a longer list on the home page.  I tried loading /concerts/, but it's been loading for four minutes (not an exaggeration), so perhaps it's there?  That's generally my primary reason for visiting the site, and to see that the list has decreased was disappointing. 

At any rate, congrats.  I'm sure it was a ton of work.  My first reaction was, "Wow, new site.  Awesome!"  So, that's always good.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2008, 07:28:15 pm »
Not a huge fan of SMF.  Vbulletin would have been a much better option.  Also, the layout ("skin") could use some work...

vansmack

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2008, 08:07:35 pm »
The Tickets link from the toolbar in the header gives me a 404 Error:

http://www.930.com/tickets/

EDIT: I'm getting 404 errors on every link but the forum, so I'm guessing you guys are working on something....
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 08:10:14 pm by vansmack »
27>34

cwsolie

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2008, 09:56:50 pm »
Hmmmmm, I figure you are aware of all this, but just in case......

Tonight's band (sold out or not) should be at the top of the upcoming show list.

Concerts link is broken on front page http://www.930.com/concerts/
Tickets link is broken on fron page http://www.930.com/tickets/
Merch link is broken on front page http://www.930.com/merch/
I get 404 error "Not Found  The requested URL /concerts/ was not found on this server." for all of them.

When you click on the name of a band that isn't at the top of the Upcoming Shows list, it doesn't follow the link it just moves it to the first position in the list.  If you then click on Buy Tix (for that band) it doesn't follow the link, it just jumps back to the top of the list.  Try it, its annoying.

Not a big fan of the sidebars, its like they were added just to insert more graphics.  I would lose them and add a 'club photos' section where you could show off the details of the club.

Having the next two days shows in the little box right above the listing for those same two shows seems redundant, but i do like the rotating band photos (although when you click on them the link is broken).

Sorry to be so negative.  I do like the club facade on the front page.

azaghal1981

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2008, 11:02:07 pm »
I just think it's a bit slow.  If I go to 930.com, it slows everything down until the page is loaded and it takes much longer to load than the old site.  I am not a techie, so I don't know why that is, but I just know it is way slow for me.  I also agree about the random backgrounds/borders - consistency is better.  Just pick one and stick with it...

I've gotta agree with this. the load time is HORRIBLE  Even after visiting the site, it should read the cached version quick, but it locks up until everything is loaded. That needs to get fixed asap :(

Same loading issue here as well.
احمد

Chip Chanko

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2008, 11:15:59 pm »
Another vote to get ride of the sidebars, whether they be parquet, brick, or tile.

bull930

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2008, 01:40:31 am »
I think it is pretty cool!!!!

Darth Ed

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2008, 03:38:18 am »
Speaking as a professional web developer (going on 14 years now), I have to say I really kind of hate it. Web sites that assume the user's browser window is really wide, quite frankly, suck. As a web developer, I make my web sites fit the width of the user's brower. It's a very simple thing to do, and only poor web designers (IMHO) require the user's web browser to have a certain size. The user should not have to adjust the size of their browser window to visit your web site. This is basic web usability.

Where are the set times on the main site? I'm not seeing the set times. This was the most useful piece of information on the 930.com web site, and I'm not seeing it. It's pretty much the only reason why I visit 930.com at all. I'm hoping it's just because the show is over, and tomorrow's set times haven't been posted yet.

The graphics on the front page are nice.

eltee

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2008, 10:31:54 am »
The new site is close to the NorVa's, but I think their site is still a little cleaner...(minus a forum, of course)
http://www.thenorva.com/schedule.php
I do think you did a nice overhaul of the site and thanks for all the hard work. I'm especially happy to see the links, info and photos of the bands.
(I half expected little caricatures of the staph to hop around the front image of the club;))
Even w/ "fresh" eyes this morning, I think there is way too much text in the view and to sift through, (in the forum area) and it's too small for me. (I know, I know, I'll make the screen larger!)

I haven't had any load issues - is using Mozilla helping?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 10:34:27 am by El Tee »

diediemydarling

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2008, 11:13:58 am »
hey el tee. quit posting on the board and show up at shows to hang out. miss you.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2008, 12:08:24 pm »
I just think it's a bit slow.  If I go to 930.com, it slows everything down until the page is loaded and it takes much longer to load than the old site.  I am not a techie, so I don't know why that is, but I just know it is way slow for me.  I also agree about the random backgrounds/borders - consistency is better.  Just pick one and stick with it...

I've gotta agree with this. the load time is HORRIBLE  Even after visiting the site, it should read the cached version quick, but it locks up until everything is loaded. That needs to get fixed asap :(

Same loading issue here as well.

part of the issue is that there is a delay in getting a response from google-analytics.com - why are we contacting them?  is this really useful, or can we skip this?  i come to this website to learn about the club and its shows, not to be part of a marketing campaign at my (time) expense.
<sig>

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2008, 12:16:58 pm »
The one thing I don't like, no set times on the main page. What the deal is?
‼‼?‼‼

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2008, 12:58:51 pm »
Did it zero out the member numbers as well?  I was proud of my low number as an old time member (emphasis on old), but it doesnt appear in the profile anymore.

No worries your profile number of 13 is safe and sound, just don't ask me on how to get it displayed on the forum
T.Rex

eltee

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2008, 01:04:01 pm »
hey el tee. quit posting on the board and show up at shows to hang out. miss you.
After I figure out how to manage my PMs, you may see me at Nada Surf.  :-*