Author Topic: NYE in NYC  (Read 12167 times)

Vas Deferens

NYE in NYC
« on: December 11, 2008, 12:50:08 pm »
Lots of great shows on NYE in NYC. What show do you think I should go to?

We got...

Blonde Redhead / Islands at Terminal 5
A Place to Bury Strangers / Dirty on Purpose (last show!) at Mercury Lounge
Deerhoof / Dirty Projectors / Akron/Family / Deer Tick at Knitting Factory
My Morning Jacket at MSG
(_|_)

walkonby

Re: NYE in NYC
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 12:55:58 pm »
5 nights of disco biscuits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Relaxer

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 01:14:56 pm »
Dang, that's tough. First thing I thought was "Blonde Redhead = Winner" but that's because I just kinda got into them in the last year with "23", which is awesome. But Islands... ugh, they're like the Stone Temple Pilots in the 90s or L.A. Guns in the 80s.

Place to Bury Strangers is a winner but haven't you seen them already?

Deerhoof, DP and A/F would probably be my pick.

MMJ at MSJ. Ugh, I pretty much hate MMJ now. I had it in my mind that Wilco was opening, but they're opening for Neil Young's MSG show.
oword

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 01:20:43 pm »
no thanks, hippie.

5 nights of disco biscuits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 01:42:07 pm »
toughie... i'd probably go with blond redhead/islands, decision would be more clear-cut if the show was at a different venue.
<sig>

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 01:44:29 pm »
Lots of great shows on NYE in NYC. What show do you think I should go to?

We got...

Blonde Redhead / Islands at Terminal 5
A Place to Bury Strangers / Dirty on Purpose (last show!) at Mercury Lounge
Deerhoof / Dirty Projectors / Akron/Family / Deer Tick at Knitting Factory
My Morning Jacket at MSG

The Vandelles are also on the APTBS bill. Another very good NYC band. About a year and a half ago, they had contacted me to help them find another gig in the area but no luck. Unfortunately, everybody was booked solid for when they were in town. In fact, I had announced here some special show they played for the opening of some Neiman Marcus shop (or something like that) but got no response from anyone. They also played a day or two before or after at The Bourbon Room in Fredericksburg. I wanted to go so badly but had to work that day. Also, I remember that weekend there being tons of other shows in conflict with other shows.

If you were at the APTBS show at the Warehouse when they opened for Secret Shine, you should definitely keep them on your radar. After that show, I had mentioned to Ollie (APTBS) that I really liked their dynamics during that set and that they seemed to be sounding a tad bit like The Vandelles. Ollie then told me that it was funny that I said that because they had been playing around with and hanging out with The Vandelles a lot.

So, anybody going to the NYE APTBS show, be sure to get there in time to see The Vandelles.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 01:48:33 pm by Jaguar »

Vas Deferens

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 01:51:07 pm »
ahh yes, let's not forget that Blonde Redhead are playing Terminal 5...I heard all sorts of bad things about that venue.

toughie... i'd probably go with blond redhead/islands, decision would be more clear-cut if the show was at a different venue.
(_|_)

Vas Deferens

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 01:52:16 pm »
These would be my two picks for now!

Though, Deerhoof/DP/AF will probably have truncated sets...

Place to Bury Strangers is a winner but haven't you seen them already?

Deerhoof, DP and A/F would probably be my pick.

(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 02:26:41 pm »
I strongly considered the APTBS show but NYE in NYC is always a clusterfuck.

Not a thing to do here, though.

Maybe I'll just pass out early.
احمد

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 03:04:56 pm »
My Morning Jacket is the easy winner.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 05:01:07 pm »
im going with blonde redhead. aptbs and the vandelles were tempting but ive seen the vandelles quite a bit as well as aptbs. well the same for blonde/redhead but after listening to their score for the documentary dungeon masters and the whole band was at the screening i decided i should support them more. not a huge fan of terminal 5, but youre near enough hells kitchen and theres oh so many bars to choose from.

i think the bar across the street from me will still have their $1 shots on nye and $2 or $3 beers.

btw - you left off crystal castles over at music hall of w'burg. i think the early show sold out already but theres another show at 1 or 2am?
HeyLa

Vas Deferens

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 05:13:37 pm »
I left out Crystal Castles and Patti Smith 'cause both are sold out. I'm not up for a 2 am show either.

btw - you left off crystal castles over at music hall of w'burg. i think the early show sold out already but theres another show at 1 or 2am?
(_|_)

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 06:31:40 pm »
Its NYE. Its a perfect time for a really late show :) Im considering it - but willyburg is a pain in the ass for me to get to that late.

I left out Crystal Castles and Patti Smith 'cause both are sold out. I'm not up for a 2 am show either.

HeyLa

andyrichter

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 09:42:42 pm »
You also left off the Damned.  They're playing the Blender Theatre At Gramercy.

walkonby

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 09:58:34 pm »
i cannot believe i was called a hippie.   :o