Author Topic: Let's just stop recognizing marriage as a whole  (Read 31287 times)

Sage 703

Re: Let's just stop recognizing marriage as a whole
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2009, 02:01:07 pm »
In my mind, barring some sort of end of days, there will eventually be homosexual marriage in this country. But it won't come about by some movement to not recognize anyone's marriages or Brad and Angelina refusing to get married until everyone can (previously: "be[ing] douchebags and acting like jerks to counteract other people being douchebags and acting like jerks"), it'll come about in 10-15 years when public opinion is naturally turned by older, generally more socially-conservative, people dying off and being replaced by younger, generally more socially-liberal, people replacing them. That's how social change has always been brought about, gradually over time.

I still think a far more interesting topic is who is in favor of legalizing polygamy and incest marriages, and if not why.

But that social change that you're speaking of is only brought about by people organizing and demanding that change is brought about.  Is it going to happen as a result of a campaign like this one, where we don't recognize any marriages?  No, probably not - but it keeps the conversation going. Actions like these, along with protests and activism, impact the consciousness and in turn make it more acceptable for other changes to occur.  If nobody objected, why would there be a generational shift?

I understand your point, but I don't think the generational change that you're talking about occurs unless there is somebody standing up and demanding that the change occur.

vansmack

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2009, 02:07:58 pm »
that absolutely all of those protections can be established outside the codifications of state-sanctioned marriage

Your mythology does not trump reality, especially when children are involved.
27>34

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2009, 02:09:47 pm »
Your mythology does not trump reality, especially when children are involved.
The next time homosexual intercourse produces an offspring, you call me.

vansmack

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2009, 02:13:40 pm »
The next time homosexual intercourse produces an offspring, you call me.

Or how about the next time heterosexual intercourse produces a child they don't want or can't properly take care of.

That's your phone ringing, BTW.  Off the hook.
27>34

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2009, 02:14:41 pm »
I understand your point, but I don't think the generational change that you're talking about occurs unless there is somebody standing up and demanding that the change occur.
And I'm saying there's a large difference between "standing up and demanding change occur" like voting for candidates who support homosexual rights and being a douchebag to other people. If it's your belief that everyone's marriage should be acknowledged and recognized, then recognizing no one's marriage is a dick move. It's like the old statement two wrongs don't make a right.

I believe firmly that people shouldn't walk down the street and punch other people in the face, but if I read in the newspaper that some guy was punched in the face while walking down the street, my best way to speak out against such an atrocity is not walking down the street and punching everyone I see in the face. It's like Palestine shooting missiles at Israel because the Israelis broke the peace fire -- do they really think that's going to make the situation better, or does it muddy the waters?

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2009, 02:17:02 pm »
Or how about the next time heterosexual intercourse produces a child they don't want or can't properly take care of.
When the heck did I argue otherwise? I'm sure you think you really zinged me with that non-sequitor there, chum. Man, put me in my place. Now that I've been made aware that some heterosexuals have unplanned pregnancies my point about the fundamentals of meiosis is blown away.

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2009, 02:20:18 pm »
So is your teenaged girlfriend really your sister?

I still think a far more interesting topic is who is in favor of legalizing polygamy and incest marriages, and if not why.

vansmack

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2009, 02:26:23 pm »
When the heck did I argue otherwise?

You said:

"that absolutely all of those protections can be established outside the codifications of state-sanctioned marriage"

And I said FALSE, especially with children.

And then said you said: Gay people can't have kids.

And I was pointing out that they can adopt.

Well guess who can't adopt? 

Two single individuals.  So if one gay parent adopts, his Domesrtic Partner would not be able to adopt the same child.  If the adoptive parent were to die, the original parent would have a stronger case to reassume parenting of the child (or even the adoptive parents surviving realtives), leaving the domestic partner who has been raising the child in along drawn out court battle that would never happen between to loving spouses.

So you're wrong in your premise that "that absolutely all of those protections can be established outside the codifications of state-sanctioned marriage."

That's all I was pointing out.
27>34

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2009, 02:31:12 pm »
Well you could have just said "adoption" instead of some over-the-river-and-thru-the-woods way of getting there. Fine, 98% of all the protections afforded by state-sanctioned marriage are currently available to unmarried people. We live in a country where 9% of our kids suffer from "food insecurity" according to HHS, and a world where 3,000 kids starve to death every hour, but alternate lifestyle adoption is such a pressing issue.

vansmack

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2009, 02:34:07 pm »
Well you could have just said "adoption" instead of some over-the-river-and-thru-the-woods way of getting there.

This, coming from the guy who uses 5,000 words to say "I like Gossip Girl."
27>34

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2009, 02:34:53 pm »
This, coming from the guy who uses 5,000 words to say "I like Gossip Girl."
I'm putting together a fabulous piece about my new celebrity-crush Olivia Palermo right now.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2009, 02:53:29 pm »
I'd simply get married "religiously" or whatever term you want to use and fill out DPAs to protect my spouse.

Can you please point me to one of these "DPAs" I can fill out for my partner and myself?  Make sure you get the one that includes things like Social Security benefits, taxes and forces my health care provider to consider him my spouse.  It would also be helpful if it's fully recognized in all states as well as federally.  Thx.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2009, 02:57:11 pm »
another reason why people dislike you: you're pretty stupid.

Well you could have just said "adoption" instead of some over-the-river-and-thru-the-woods way of getting there.
(_|_)

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2009, 03:02:48 pm »
another reason why people dislike you: you're pretty stupid.
I'm the most adored member of this messageboard, sans maybe Seth. Quit living in your hovel-esque fantasy world.

walkonby

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2009, 03:06:22 pm »
"i love it," i'm saying to my partner.  a discussion about gays on the forum, and i didn't start it, and am attempting to stay far from it.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 03:17:54 pm by walkonby »