Author Topic: Live Nation - ticket service charges just keep getting worse  (Read 14429 times)

dave24

Live Nation - ticket service charges just keep getting worse
« on: January 17, 2009, 08:01:44 pm »
Ok - so, Live Nation has launched their own ticketing site.  They wanted to leave Ticketmaster, as they claimed Ticketmaster was charging absurd service charges and per-order fees.

Do you think they'd charge less if this is the case?  I'd have thought so.  NOPE! It's worse than ever.

Live Nation somehow thinks charging even higher service charges is better for their customers because they're not charging the per order fees.  At least that's how they try to spin it.  They're just making even more money than Ticketmaster or Tickets.com per order.

I've broken it all down here...

http://soundoffwithdave.com/2009/01/17/live-nation-meet-the-new-boss-same-as-the-old-boss/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 10:56:26 pm by dave24 »

walkonby

Re: Live Nation - ticket service charges just keep getting worse
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 12:02:37 pm »
for the upcoming eagles tour, and i believe more (selected) after that, ticketmaster will have no fees.  none. just the face charge and the shipping.  this is their first move against livenation.  it does not matter, though.

gas could be ten dollars a gallon. you'd buy it.
cigarettes could be ten dollars a pack.  smokers will buy them.
downloadable songs can finally be taxed, leading to even larger taxes later.  you will still listen and pay.
and so on and so forth.

dave24

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 01:02:12 pm »
I don't know.  I've refused to buy certain concert tickets because of their price.  I've also not bought a ticket because the service charges and fees made a $20 ticket into a $33 ticket.  Particularly for a GA show, I'll go to the venue in a lot of cases to save the service charge. 

I have friends who absolutely refuse to buy a ticket online anymore.  They just won't support companies that charge fees now upwards of 50% of the original cost of the ticket.  If they miss a show because of it, so be it.

There are just way too many options.  I can spend my money on entertainment in a lot of ways.  I certainly don't feel the need to line the pockets of the executives at Live Nation.

azaghal1981

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 01:27:26 pm »
This really shouldn't come as a surprise. I mean LN aren't known for ethical business practices to begin with.

The whole strong-arming bands into playing their venues in cities where they have competition thing is one of the most disgusting things to ever happen to live music.
احمد

dave24

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 02:49:47 pm »
Nah - it's not truly a surprise.  I just would have thought they would roll this out and pull some extra cash from someplace less visible.

All of these companies have been guilty of some pretty poor business practices for years... Personally, I don't care too much for all of the exclusive rights contracts Ticketmaster has with professional sports organizations.  You used to be able to find various teams through Tickets.com, and other outlets.  Now Ticketmaster monopolizes the NFL, and others...

It will be interesting to see what happens with major summer tours... if Live Nation has enough venues to be able to force artists to tour through them exclusively. 

Ticketmaster has more options for buying a ticket in person - in person charges are less whether it's at Macy's or the venue, where it's absolutely cheapest.  Live Nation has no such network in place.  So, consumers are kind of stuck...

azaghal1981

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 03:26:45 pm »
"It will be interesting to see what happens with major summer tours... if Live Nation has enough venues to be able to force artists to tour through them exclusively."

I think they already do. Sometimes it feels like Merriweather is the only shed in the country that they don't control.
احمد

dave24

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 04:43:16 pm »
Last I saw, they owned 39 amphitheatres... but I've never seen a list of which ones... I'm sure it's a lot of the major ones - but I would think there's be some pretty major markets left out of that mix.

There's got to be some backlash at some point, especially in this economy...

Vas Deferens

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 05:58:40 pm »
livenation:

Andrew Bird
Thursday 02/19/09
Show: 8:00 p.m.
The Fillmore - S.F.
SAN FRANCISCO

Gen Admission Open Dance Flr
Section GA, Row G04, Seat # 96
Adult $32.50
Ticket Fee  $13.50
(_|_)

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 09:59:38 am »
yes, well, hooray for the Fillmore SIlver Spring!

that'll help crush this 930/I.M.P. monopoly!

dave24

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 03:45:26 pm »
livenation:

Andrew Bird
Thursday 02/19/09
Show: 8:00 p.m.
The Fillmore - S.F.
SAN FRANCISCO

Gen Admission Open Dance Flr
Section GA, Row G04, Seat # 96
Adult $32.50
Ticket Fee  $13.50

Nice... $32.50 + $13.50... at least Live Nation is "Transparent"  That's their goal after all...

vansmack

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 04:54:41 pm »
Dave...I finally clicked over to your blog. I have one piece of advice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkO87mkgcNo
27>34

Vas Deferens

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 05:02:02 pm »
does it apply to the sports section also?

Dave...I finally clicked over to your blog. I have one piece of advice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkO87mkgcNo

(_|_)

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 05:02:11 pm »
yes, well, hooray for the Fillmore SIlver Spring!

that'll help crush this 930/I.M.P. monopoly!

Seriously! I just can't believe how Hurwitz Enterprises has gone unnoticed under the SEC's radar ;)
3MTA3

vansmack

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 05:14:31 pm »

There's a sports section?  I clicked the link the link below.  I read the first sentence.  I read the next couple of sentences.  I read the first three paragraphs.  I stopped reading.  I had a thought.  I posted it here.  That's all.
27>34

Vas Deferens

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 05:18:35 pm »
http://soundoffwithdave.com/2009/01/13/what-happened-to-the-nfls-rooney-rule/
http://soundoffwithdave.com/2009/01/13/ravens-over-cardinals-in-super-bowl-43/

There's a sports section?  I clicked the link the link below.  I read the first sentence.  I read the next couple of sentences.  I read the first three paragraphs.  I stopped reading.  I had a thought.  I posted it here.  That's all.
(_|_)