Author Topic: 20th annual Pollstar Concert Industry Awards  (Read 7317 times)

hutch

Re: 20th annual Pollstar Concert Industry Awards
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 01:49:55 pm »
I really think the 930 club is the best club in the country...

i mean they could stand to make their beer prices more reasonable (and relax a bit about people taking pictures or even filming video)..but other than that its the perfect club..i consider myself lucky to have it but a few blocks away and i've been going since they opened at the new location (and before)

you do realize it's the artists not the club that put those restrictions in place

sure but do they tell the club to put people up on speakers and spend the entire show trying to nab people? come on!

I don't buy it.. if that were so how come i've never seen that at any other club? One person on each side of the stage elevated looking into crowd and people up on top..its a little excessive in my opinion and makes one feel like they're being watched the entire time by cops (sniper-ish)..not very nice..

i don't see that at the black cat for example? i'm sure the artists have that request but the club shouldn't go too out of their way on that in my opinion... i mean do your best but having people standing up elevated looking at the crowd the entire time?

don't care for it

azaghal1981

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 01:57:56 pm »
I see no problem with that. Why not go to great lengths to make sure the bands' requests are honored? If the club does everything it can to make the talent happy, it becomes more likely that a great rapport is established with the talent making for better odds that the band(s) in question would return to the club.
احمد

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 03:07:39 pm »
do the people who nominate and vote on these choices visit every single nightclub in every town of every state to judge the differences? 

the thing that is different about the pollstar awards is that the people that vote are actually in the industry and they do go to the venues.   maybe not every single venue in the country, but among them are the people that tour the country and work with/for bands.  they are familiar with the day to day operations of the gig, and what it takes to be the best in the industry.  that's why this award means more to the staph than some of the others.  it's always nice to be recognized, but to be recognized by your peers is that much sweeter.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 03:11:50 pm »

Has the club recently reduced capacity or started selling fewer tickets?

people are thinner
You're welcome.

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 03:25:40 pm »
sure but do they tell the club to put people up on speakers and spend the entire show trying to nab people? come on!

I don't buy it.. if that were so how come i've never seen that at any other club? One person on each side of the stage elevated looking into crowd and people up on top..its a little excessive in my opinion and makes one feel like they're being watched the entire time by cops (sniper-ish)..not very nice..

i don't see that at the black cat for example? i'm sure the artists have that request but the club shouldn't go too out of their way on that in my opinion... i mean do your best but having people standing up elevated looking at the crowd the entire time?

don't care for it

you can buy or care for whatever you like, but you aren't getting it.  the recording policy is 100% decided by the band, and we enforce what they ask for.  if we don't, we have to deal with angry tour managers, tour security, and sometimes disgruntled band members making comments from the stage.  we like to maintain our relationships with bands so that they want to come back.  so, we do what they ask. 

if the band wants to let everyone video, audio, and photo to their heart's content, the staph will still be up on those boxes watching the crowd.  if the band says no nothing, not even sketch pads, then we'll be checking tighter at the door and will still be up on those boxes watching the crowd.   

why?  because cameras are a tiny bit of what they are looking for.  when you are on that box, you can see everything, which is exactly what we need.  when someone falls and gets hurt, if there's a spill by the bar, if a bartender needs help, if there's a fight, if there's someone disregarding the photo policy set by the band, if someone is smoking, if someone is drinking underage...you get the idea. 

we are there to protect the safety of the patrons and the bands, enforce a few rules, and make sure everyone has a good time.  in order to do that, we need a good vantage point.  there are people walking the crowd monitoring everything as well. 

when you go to a pool, do you complain that the lifeguards are elevated, watching the crowd the entire time, and sniper-ish?  it's not very nice of them to be watching you the entire time from up there, is it? 

if you aren't doing anything wrong, why worry about who sees what you are doing?

walkonby

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 12:22:46 pm »
do the people who nominate and vote on these choices visit every single nightclub in every town of every state to judge the differences? 

the thing that is different about the pollstar awards is that the people that vote are actually in the industry and they do go to the venues.   maybe not every single venue in the country, but among them are the people that tour the country and work with/for bands.  they are familiar with the day to day operations of the gig, and what it takes to be the best in the industry.  that's why this award means more to the staph than some of the others.  it's always nice to be recognized, but to be recognized by your peers is that much sweeter.

now i see why people like you.  you explain stuff in a way that actually makes sense, even to a jaded bastard like me.  thank you thatguy!  and congrats to the club.