Author Topic: Bruce at Verizon  (Read 19075 times)

Venerable Bede

Re: Bruce at Verizon
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2009, 04:13:08 pm »
Oh snap with your spelling acumen
well, perhaps he was talking about this island number 2, i mean, he is from jersey.
OU812

Relaxer

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2009, 04:28:19 pm »
i mean, he is from jersey.

JESUS ECLIPSE, why didn't you say so. Yeah, christ, he's on his own here.

Hi, I'm the mayor of new jersey
oword

aces

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2009, 05:06:32 pm »
The row and seat number are just for tracking purposes, so they know how many are allowed in that capacity.

Anybody know what the floor capacity at Verizon is?  I got #'s 93-94, but I think there'll be a few more people down there.... ;)

Seriously?

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2009, 11:42:49 pm »
totally agree with the critics on this one

Some reviewers say the Boss's 16th studio album is "classic" (that's what 5 stars in Rolling Stone means), but most are not that kind. What critics around the country do agree upon, however, is that track #4 is the worst song Springsteen has ever written.

"Queen Of The Supermarket" is a hokey ode to the girl behind the checkout counter at the grocery store.

With my shopping cart I move through the heart
Of a sea of fools so blissfully unaware
That they're in the presence of something wonderful and rare
The way she moves behind the counter
Beneath her white apron her secret remains hers
This is a sampling of the critical response:

"The worst song Bruce Springsteen has ever written."
- Detroit News

"At the 3:00 mark, it accidentally turns into a Meatloaf song."
- Blender

"Removes this record from consideration as one of the best releases of his career."
- Chicago Tribune

"Unintentionally ludicrous."
- San Jose Mercury News

"Unbelievably melodramatic ... sounds like someone doing a Springsteen parody."
- Orlando Sentinel

"Might be the worst song Springsteen has ever released."
- Philadelphia Inquirer

"May be the worst thing he's ever written."
- Pitchfork

I will probably get mocked mercilessly for this, but I like the song.  It is light and trite sort of like the whole new record.  For me, though, that works for this moment in time.  I don't think the song is meant to be taken seriously.

I would definitely put "Surprise Surprise" up there with the worst things he has written, though.  To me that sounds like something he wrote for his kid or wife and is something that no one else should have ever had to hear.

I got a GA for the Verizon show and some good lower level seats for Charlottesville.  Excited for the tour. 

eros

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2009, 08:54:39 am »
You have to hand it to the man.  Nearly 3 hours of non-stop music.  I don't know how he does it.  The energy he puts in is unbelievable. 

We lucked out and got inside the "pit" area, putting us about 20' from the stage.

Another one I can cross off the list.....
ʎɐʍou

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2009, 09:14:41 am »
We got in the pit, too.  Great show.  He can definitely still bring it.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2009, 09:20:28 am »
No Thunder Road or I'm On Fire?

how are the new songs live?
(_|_)

nkotb

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2009, 09:24:23 am »
My wife and I were on the floor...standing right near the soundboard.  What a fucking killer show...that was a phenomenal one-two opening punch.  Although we nearly ditched the show for the $10,000 someone outside was offering  :o

nkotb

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2009, 09:25:52 am »
No, he didn't play the first two songs you were able to Google to sound like you know what you're talking about.

New songs all sounded pretty good, although I hadn't heard the new one before the show.  The Wrestler was great, and so was Outlaw Pete...that was pretty heavy.  Also, as obvious as it may be, my head almost exploded during Born to Run. 

No Thunder Road or I'm On Fire?

how are the new songs live?

walkonby

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2009, 10:12:43 am »
maybe it was my section.  but the sound was horrible all night.  big shaking of the head . . . but the show was electric and nice anyways.  clarence cracks me up everytime, and i just love how bruce pulls posters from the crowds and plays whatever songs are on them.

best poster of the night - "impeach ticketmaster"

nkotb

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2009, 10:16:28 am »
Maybe I'm getting older, or maybe it was the beer I was chugging, but seeing him sing Out in the Street with that little girl sitting next to him brought a tear of joy to my eye.  That was pretty fucking rad.

i just love how bruce pulls posters from the crowds and plays whatever songs are on them.

walkonby

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2009, 10:16:46 am »
My wife and I were on the floor...standing right near the soundboard.  What a fucking killer show...that was a phenomenal one-two opening punch.  Although we nearly ditched the show for the $10,000 someone outside was offering  :o

its a good thing you did not sell them . . . or you might be sitting in jail right now.  that much of an offer seems a bit phishy.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2009, 10:26:45 am »
I went down to the show to see what kind of tickets I could scare up at the last minute.  Got a decent 400 level seat for $60 at about 7:45.  Score!

Show was fun, surprisingly heavy on pre born to run material....and yeah Out in the Streets was just killer.

Not as great as last time - last year I was right in front between Clarence and Nils - I'll probably never top that one...

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2009, 10:49:08 am »
(taken from Usenet)

1. Badlands
2. No Surrender
3. Outlaw Pete
4. She's The One
5. Working On A Dream
6. Seeds
7. Johnny 99
8. Ghost of Tom Joad
9. Raise Your Hand
10. Out In The Street (sign request)
11. LITTLE LATIN LUPE LU (sign request)
(w/Hava Nagilah)(Jewish wedding song/riff)
12. BLINDED BY THE LIGHT (sign request)
13. Waitin On A Sunny Day
14. The Promised Land
15. The Wrestler
16. Radio Nowhere
17. Kingdom of Days
18. Lonesome Day
19. The Rising
20. Born To Run

21. Hard Times
22. Kitty's Back
23. Land of Hope & Dreams
24. American Land
25. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) ("Obama called and wants Rosie")

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2009, 11:20:52 am »
Nice to see Blinded by the Light. Anything he plays from Asbury Park is always epic. Does he still play Spirit in the Night, Lost in the Flood, or Reason to Believe anymore?