Author Topic: tough economic times hit the music festival industry: Langerado  (Read 6725 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
tough economic times hit the music festival industry: Langerado
« on: February 03, 2009, 05:05:51 pm »
on the upside, this might make festival bookers rethink the strategy of having the same damn headliners at all festivals.  at a minimum, there is now one less to be a repeat of the others...

Ticket Sales Sink Langerado

It appears the 2009 Langerado Music Festival has fallen victim to the sluggish economy.

The seventh annual event, which was slated to take place March 6-8 in Miami?s Bicentennial Park, has been canceled.  Death Cab For Cutie, Modest Mouse, Slightly Stoopid, Snoop Dogg and The Pogues were among the bands and artists scheduled to appear at the festival.

Festival co-promoter Ethan Schwartz said slow ticket sales presented organizers with a difficult choice.

?Langerado has always put the fan experience first,? Schwartz explained. ?Unfortunately, during these difficult economic times, and facing a first year in a new venue, it?s become apparent that we cannot execute a production that lives up to the high standards of our past events.

?Putting Langerado on hold was the toughest decision we have ever had to make. We are very grateful for the support of the greater-Miami community and the music community during this difficult time.?

All tickets purchased will be refunded in the next 5-7 business days. Orders will be refunded in full, minus order processing fees. Shipping fees will also be credited for those who did not select free shipping.

lets hope this isn't a growing trend.
<sig>

hutch

Re: tough economic times hit the music festival industry: Langerado
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 05:46:01 pm »
Miami is a cultural wasteland.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 05:51:42 pm »
We need to get this guy to figure it all out for us. . .

OU812

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 06:40:04 pm »
Remember the shit Seth took for canceling Lolla that year and the Economy wasn't even close to this bad...I still blame him though.
27>34

slappy

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 12:08:16 am »
Miami, Florida is cultural wasteland?
Have you ever been outside the airport or a shuttle to your Carnival cruise?
I guess when you take away Art Basel, Winter Music Conference, Ultra Music Festival, Miami Fashion Week, Jai alai, Little Havana, Little Haiti, South Beach, the Design District, Overtown, Coconut Grove, Key Biscayne ... it is a cultural wasteland.
I'm not saying it's the greatest place in the world, but culture is the one thing Miami isn't missing.

hutch

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 12:16:25 am »
Have you ever been outside the airport or a shuttle to your Carnival cruise?
I guess when you take away Art Basel, Winter Music Conference, Ultra Music Festival, Miami Fashion Week, Jai alai, Little Havana, Little Haiti, South Beach, the Design District, Overtown, Coconut Grove, Key Biscayne ... it is a cultural wasteland.
I'm not saying it's the greatest place in the world, but culture is the one thing Miami isn't missing.

Ho hum..somebody always has to get testy...

Yes, I've been everywhere..I've lived there for many years..

Its a cultural wasteland. But I guess I should have qualified it and said in reference to rock and roll.

There's nothing there..try even finding a record store thats not a chain store (OK there's one I recall in South Beach but thats about it)

Try seeing live music there (not Cuban)

good luck with that..its completely the wrong place for this type of music festival

peace out holmes.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 12:34:03 am »

dude, seriously - pittsburgh has more culture than miami.  deal with it.
<sig>

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 08:26:29 am »
If Miami has no culture, then what to Indio, CA and Bumfuck, TN have? I'll take Miami over most festival locations.

You're going to a music festival and you want to spend your down time in a record store? Loser.

sonickteam2

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 09:12:30 am »

dude, pittsburgh??? i suppose you could define culture as anything really, but i would rather spend one year in Miami then 10 minutes in Pittsburgh. well, i dont like the heat, so nevermind.

Lollapalooza has by FAR the best festival location.  Although Virgin Fest is nice (but perhaps only cause i can get there in 20 mintues).

bearman🐻

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 10:02:58 am »
I love Iggy Pop's quote on Miami..."It's a sunny place for shady people". 'Nuff said. I don't think it's a cultural wasteland, I do think in general Florida is one of those places that I don't need to go and visit all that often. It's just sort of....meh.

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 10:06:56 am »
How about Bumbershoot Festival in downtown Seattle on Labor Day Weekend, during the month or so that it's 70 and sunny in Seattle everyday?

Or were you the oddball who for some reason hated Seattle?

dude, pittsburgh??? i suppose you could define culture as anything really, but i would rather spend one year in Miami then 10 minutes in Pittsburgh. well, i dont like the heat, so nevermind.

Lollapalooza has by FAR the best festival location.  Although Virgin Fest is nice (but perhaps only cause i can get there in 20 mintues).

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 10:09:31 am »
I was born in Florida, moved away when I was 5, and haven't been back since I was 8. I guess I feel about the same way.

Though I have a professional conference in Miami in 2011 that I'll make every attempt to get to. Free airfare and four nights free hotel on Miami Beach? Sure, i'll take it, even in August.

I love Iggy Pop's quote on Miami..."It's a sunny place for shady people". 'Nuff said. I don't think it's a cultural wasteland, I do think in general Florida is one of those places that I don't need to go and visit all that often. It's just sort of....meh.

Relaxer

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 10:23:39 am »
I'd rather spend a month in New Jersey, Texas or Mogadishu than spend a week in Florida.

If Death Cab and Modest Mouse were supposed to be the draws for this festival, well no wonder it got shit-canned.
oword

sonickteam2

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 10:59:43 am »
How about Bumbershoot Festival in downtown Seattle on Labor Day Weekend, during the month or so that it's 70 and sunny in Seattle everyday?

Well, Seattle's fine.  we'll put it second though, Chicago still takes it, IMO. Austin is probably OK too but I dont like Texas and its like 100 degrees at that festival (or so it seems, i've never been)

I didnt care too much for Seattle to be honest but I went it was October and it poured all 8 days i was there. It took me like 3 days to dry off when i got back here!

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 11:12:44 am »
Fair enough. Since I married into Chicago people, we should take advantage of the free lodging and go to Lolla someday. Maybe after my daughter outgrows her damn midday naps.

Bumbershoot is much, much cheaper than Lolla and most other festivals, though some locals still complain about ticket prices.

Well, Seattle's fine.  we'll put it second though, Chicago still takes it, IMO. Austin is probably OK too but I dont like Texas and its like 100 degrees at that festival (or so it seems, i've never been)

I didnt care too much for Seattle to be honest but I went it was October and it poured all 8 days i was there. It took me like 3 days to dry off when i got back here!