Author Topic: Ticketmaster/Live Nation near merger (Wall Street Journal)  (Read 45412 times)

Vas Deferens

Ticketmaster/Live Nation near merger (Wall Street Journal)
« on: February 04, 2009, 10:57:17 am »
Ticketmaster Entertainment Inc. and Live Nation Inc. are close to a merger, people familiar with the matter said, in a deal that would consolidate two of the most powerful forces in the music industry under one roof.

The combined company would be called Live Nation Ticketmaster, and would merge the world's biggest concert promoter with the world's dominant ticketing and artist-management company. The resulting firm would be able to manage everything from recorded music to ticket sales and tour sponsorship. It could package artists in new ways, for example, allowing corporations such as a cellphone provider to sponsor a concert tour and to sell an exclusive download of a song.

Because it would be so vertically integrated, the new company would also be able to muscle out competing concert promoters and have more power to dictate ticket prices to consumers.

The boards of both companies have yet to approve the all-stock merger, these people said. Terms of what these people described as a merger of equals have yet to be worked out. It was unclear last night which company would be acquiring the other. Live Nation's market capitalization, at $390 million, is slightly higher than Ticketmaster's $351 million. But the concert promoter has more debt and less cash.

Sticking points remain to any deal. Because a merger would concentrate so much power in the music industry under one company, it would require review by antitrust authorities. The deal, which wouldn't entail any exchange of cash, could be announced as early as next week, these people said.
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Ticketmaster/Live Nation near merger (Wall Street Journal)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 11:37:45 am »
i don't see this one getting past the trust-busters.
<sig>

dave24

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:39:40 am »
No - this really can't get through... you thought XM and Sirius were held up?  That'd seem lightning fast as opposed to this.

If there were ever two companies that shouldn't be bailed out, these would be them.  Let them implode.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 11:43:46 am »
i just puked in my mouth a little
(o|o)

rich_WDC

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 12:01:23 pm »
The fan is screwed!

(They might as well just charge service/convenience charges and not even call it a ticket price!)

Anti-trust, perhaps??

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 12:04:07 pm »
If there were ever two companies that shouldn't be bailed out, these would be them.  Let them implode.

i don't understand: what are you talking about bail-out?  no one is being bailed out here.  it's a merger.
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 12:10:48 pm »
Yeah, this has to be illegal.
احمد

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 12:16:37 pm »
i don't understand: what are you talking about bail-out?  no one is being bailed out here.  it's a merger.

"merger"?  what?!

can you please stop using fancy "i'm so fucking smart" economic terminology in here... not all of us financial wizards can differentiate between the combination of two corporations and a capital injection into a failing business

geez.
(o|o)

dave24

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 12:25:20 pm »

If the feds allowed this merger to happen, it'd be the rough equivalent of a bail-out.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 12:58:18 pm »

If the feds allowed this merger to happen, it'd be the rough equivalent of a bail-out.

you have a very unique understanding of economics and public policy.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 01:20:36 pm »
I think Hoya was being sarcastic...

On a second note, if this is serious, I think they waited too long.  Why didn't they try the Sirius XM approach of now or never and file the app in 2007 knowing that if it were ever going to happen, it would be as the Republican's were being shown the door?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 01:23:34 pm by vansmack »
27>34

Mobius

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 01:31:58 pm »
The chiefs of Live Nation and Ticketmaster donated to the Obama campaign . . . so they've got that going for them.    But yeah, we now seem to have a government that's awake and this seems like a textbook antitrust violation . . .by companies choking the marketplace with their monopoly-like power as is

walkonby

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 02:15:38 pm »
howard stern does not sell tickets for either company, so the merger will go right through.

sonickteam2

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 02:16:04 pm »

you have a very unique understanding of economics and public policy.

he's just "sounding off" dont worry!

sonickteam2

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 02:19:59 pm »
  I think the thing people are missing is that this merger isnt really all that bad for everyone.  Sure it will make ticket prices higher, but for the majority of the people who just like the ease of being spoon-fed music in a nice neatly marketed package, i think it would go over well.

Most of us here dont need to spend $100 on a concert ticket/exclusive download/dvd/poster package for a band we consider $25 a steep ticket price for, but there are tons of people out there that it would appeal to.

This is bad news for independant artists and labels who may get muscled out of touring stops or force being put on some "Live Nation Indie" tour package that would eventually suck the creative life out of them.

Seriously though, these 2 companies seem smart enough to let this thing slide off pretty darn easily  and i dont see the overwhelming majority complaining.