Author Topic: Modest Mouse Tickets?  (Read 23067 times)

azaghal1981

Re: Modest Mouse Tickets?
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2009, 02:53:39 pm »
Ding ding ding...we have a winner!

Isaac just sounds like a retarded kid singing.

احمد

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2009, 02:59:41 pm »
Thanks, these comments help me understand people's beef with them in a live setting.  I can't say I disagree with the un-engaging part. 

One beef I have had is set length.  On the Good News... tour the headlining show I saw was about 75-80 min, which just seems way too brief for a band with as many records playing that big of a show.  Sort of like Beck's show at the Patriot Center a few years ago.  Both had one-song encores after way too short sets.

I didn't see them at Virgin Fest, but someone told me they ended early there, too, which is pretty sad when you are given a shortened festival set time.  Come to think of it, Beck ended up set at ACL last year about 20 minutes early, too. 

At least you can't call Beck un-engaging. 

One funny Modest Mouse story, I was once with my wife at a restaurant for brunch and someone working there put on Moon and Antarctica as the background music in the restaurant.  I was eagerly awaiting the "anyone can easily fuck you over" refrain in about the third song.  The music got yanked and replaced at that point. 

dave24

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2009, 03:27:48 pm »
You guys do realize that the general consensus is that Modest Mouse sucks live, right? And that Johnny Marr isn't on the tour...

BAH! Johnny's just ducking Morrissey since he's in DC that weekend as well    LOL

wml7

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2009, 03:32:34 pm »
How many bands actually sound better in an outdoor festival setting than in a club setting? That's right, none.

I think they sound better in a club setting as compared to an outdoor festival type.

Radiohead

helicon1

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2009, 03:49:12 pm »
I remember seeing Modest Mouse in 1998 and being very underwhelmed by them live.
I also remember seeing Modest Mouse in 2005 and was even more underwhelmed by them live.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2009, 03:57:12 pm »
Radiohead

oh good one, although we're only seconds  away from a hipster predictably saying "they sound bad everywhere" ::)

and although this is a fringe example, i've heard several electronic acts that sounded way better at an outdoor festival than they did in a club.  to be fair, odds were stacked in favor of the festivals: they were geared towards electronic music so they had specific PAs and technicians who knew how to set up the system, as opposed to using a club's PA which might have been designed with more general purposes in minx.  also, outdoors = no/less echo, no standing waves, don't have to tune the system to the room, etc.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2009, 03:58:42 pm »
This thread doesn't even rank in the Top 15 all-time scalper/shut out bitch sessions from this board. The jury is out on whether this says more about Modest Mouse or their fans.
27>34

killsaly

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2009, 08:22:50 pm »
Too bad I got shut out as well, but i will be at Rams Head for the Thursday show and will be standing outside of the 930 one hoping someone is selling. 

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2009, 08:52:43 am »
I'm no saint by any means

but I can tell you that in my 30 years of doing this, I have never sold a single ticket to a scalper, and wouldn't if I though that's what someone was up to

so I don't know where or how these people get tickets, but it ain't from us

RustyOrgan

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2009, 02:02:44 pm »
I got a pair!

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2009, 02:04:47 pm »
I got a pair!
Please wait here while I fetch my magnifying glass.....

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2009, 02:22:46 pm »
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2009, 02:27:12 pm »
I'm no saint by any means

It's Lieutenant Hurwitz. Severe shell-shock. Thinks he's Ethel Merman.
27>34