Author Topic: The Night GG Allin Came to Town  (Read 25384 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Re: The Night GG Allin Came to Town
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2009, 03:04:54 am »
not sure if they really pulled their shit together for the second show, but i thoroughly enjoyed it tonight...

john neff did his best understated dad-rock take all night... spooner oldham ripped it up in the middle of the stage, had some really fun solos and some great bottleneck guitar work towards the end

shonna's vocals needed to be turned up higher, kind of ruined "i'm sorry huston".. "purgatory line" was really great though

best part of the night was "rockin in the free world"... "space city" a close second

definitely not a normal DBT show, but i had a lot of fun
(o|o)

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2009, 09:28:12 am »
Are you sure Spooner was there? Wasn't there Friday night.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2009, 10:39:06 am »
I was disappointed to realize that this thread wasn't actually about GG Allin...  last night Ginger of the Hall Monitors closed their set with a GG Allin song, up at Chick Hall's, and it sounds like I picked the better show to go to.

I saw DBT last time they came through.   Two observations:  1) they put on a great show and 2) a hella lotta fratboy types are into them.

_\|/_

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2009, 12:10:04 pm »

99% sure it was him on guitar in patterson's spot in the middle ... kind of funny to watch him play, he could really tear into a song but had none of the rock star moves, just leaned back and shredded
(o|o)

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2009, 12:30:43 pm »
Um, I'm going to go with your 1%. On Friday, the older balding guy who was in Patterson's spot who was tearing it up on guitar was the guitarist from the opening band Bloodkin.

Spooner Oldham is a keyboardist, and he's not balding.

The Bloodkin guy is the guy on the left.

This is Spooner

99% sure it was him on guitar in patterson's spot in the middle ... kind of funny to watch him play, he could really tear into a song but had none of the rock star moves, just leaned back and shredded

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2009, 12:39:52 pm »
yeah, looks like you're right... i saw an old dude with grey hair and goatee and ran with it  ;D
(o|o)

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2009, 01:34:38 pm »
that's ok. a certain other boardie who was at DBT (first time seeing them) friday and M. Ward saturday thought that patterson sings all the truckers songs on record, and that cooley was stepping to the plate as a pinch hitter.  ;D

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2009, 02:21:22 pm »

Glad I passed on this weekends festivities. I know someone who lives in Charleston and had ticks to the show. I'll have to get a report this coming week. Hope Paterson takes care......out....

walkonby

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2009, 04:17:38 pm »
last night was a great show.  even if i never heard of or never heard the band i am about to see, i thoroughly enjoi going the 930 club.  the sound is indeed bombastic, the scene is indeed a intriguing mix of youth and the elder set alike.  people who only drink vodka and cranberry, and others who only chug budweiser bottle.  the staff is kind (some you can tell do have problems catering to large groups of "partying people"), and professional.  each bar, a different take on how people act while waiting for alcohol.  never could understand why people don't flock to the basement bar during the show (four people waiting vs. ten thousand upstairs trying to cram closer to the taps.  i like abitha now.  930 pale ale is not bad either.  introduced myself to thatguy, and thanked him personally for "making me a nicer person here on the forum, and that i'm trying to be a better poster."

bloodkin ripped.  hands down.  bought a shirt.  felt happy.  really enjoied dbt, especially coole's middle finger salute to patterson with a "where's the video at . . . fuck you asshole, get better soon."  then it happened.  they did this song toward the end of the night, with a talk up of it before playing.  did not know this about them, but should have expected it coming from the fact they are a "country based" act from the south.  the song is "bob".  i was sort of shocked by the lyrics . . . and lost the respect for them that was building up nicely until that moment.  now i know i don't need to listen to them anymore.  don't get me wrong, they played kick ass music that at most times rocked, and at others times entranced, mainly leaving me smiling at their obvious strength of talent.  and yes, the neil young cover was classic, especially when the frat boy up front got thrown out for acting like a moshing idiot.  ;D

loved this write up i just read about the song.  --  The worst offender (on the album), though, is Cooley's "Bob," a character sketch that has drawn some criticism for its possible homophobia (Cooley assures that Bob "ain't light in the loafers/He might kneel/But he never bends over") and is without question the flat-out dumbest song the band has ever committed to record.

azaghal1981

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2009, 07:04:31 pm »
Those lyrics definitely made me do a double-take upon hearing them, too.

And yes, 930 staff = best ever.

I also love the emptiness of the backbar before/during shows. From my experiences, the masses don't make it down until after shows are over and I hope it stays that way.
احمد

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2009, 07:45:29 pm »
I was disappointed to realize that this thread wasn't actually about GG Allin... 

Me too.  I tried to steer it that way and was successful for a bit......

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2009, 10:21:01 pm »
What is it about those lyrics that are so homophobic?

Bob

Bob goes to church every Sunday
every Sunday that the fish ain't bitin'
Bob never have to have dinner with the Preacher
cos' Bob never bothered gettin' married

He likes to drink a beer or two every now and again
He always had more dogs thn he ever had friends

Bob ain't light in the loafers
He might kneel but he never bends over

Bob takes care of his Momma
She's the only one he lets call him Robert
She don't drive anymore so he takes her to the store
and keeps her yard lookin' just like she wants it

Every week at the beauty shop Bob's Momma hears
that another woman's paid 'nother man disappears

Robert ain't exactly scared o' women
He's just got his own way o' livin'

Bob's still gotta antenna on a pole
2 channels come in 2 more comin' through
He used to watch the news but he don't anymore

Ain't none of it new it's the same as before
He figures all any of it's any good for's
keepin' averybody bored till there ain't nobody
like Bob anymore

Bob takes care of his Momma
She's a mess but he feels like he oughtta
a big a mess today as bob will say
"she's a big un and she's gonna be a lotta"

He likes to drink a beer or two every now and again
He always had more dogs than he ever had friends

Bob ain't light in the loafers
He might kneel but he never bends over

walkonby

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2009, 10:51:30 pm »
i know people hate hearing about the gay issues in life, and on here.  and unless you are gay, i can understand why you would not care or even think this is a fuss of a matter even making a print over.  i feel, and believe me i know how to know that i could be wrong, that this is an observation about a gay man . . . from a straight man feeling sorry for him . . . for being gay.  the stereotypes and sly references are there:  never being able to get married, taking care of the mother, beauty shops, rumours from women, "hoping there aren't people like bob anymore".  it is about a man who wrote a song who thinks that gay people hate being gay people.  that their life is somehow useless as someone with only two channels.  i'm still trying to understand the "he might kneel, but won't bend over" line.  i guess that is a crack at some of these "straight guys" who will let a guy suck their dick, but there ain't no way they're a fag.  oh yeah, and bob doesn't have any friends.  clearly the writer of this feels sorry for gay people, and why would they want to be gay at all if this is "their life."  the end.

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2009, 09:34:49 am »
As someone who grew up somewhat sexually confused in small town, red state America, I can totally relate to the climate and environment that Bob lives in.

However, how is feeling sad for Bob homophobia? My take is that Cooley is simply painting a picture of the life of  a closeted gay man in small town America. Is Cooley the one wishing for no more Bob's?  The lyrics below are hard for me to decipher, but maybe it's Bob feeling sorry for himself? Maybe he (the narrator, who is not necessarily Cooley) is wishing for a day when a gay country Southern man doesn't feel the need to be in the closet?

Ain't none of it new it's the same as before
He figures all any of it's any good for's
keepin' averybody bored till there ain't nobody
like Bob anymore

This isn't the only song that Cooley's written that has a closeted character. Zip City has one too. And though Cooley wrote it where the narrator is the lead character, it's pretty clear that 30-something Cooley is not the narrator himself (or if he is, it's a tale told from when he was a teenager 20 years prior), but only playing the role of the narrator.

Your Daddy was mad as hell
He was mad at me and you
As he tied that chain to the front of my car and pulled me out of that ditch that we slid into
Don't know what his problem is
Why he keeps dragging you away
Don't know why I put up with this shit
When you don't put out and Zip City's so far away

Your Daddy is a deacon down at the Salem Church of Christ
And He makes good money as long as Reynolds Wrap keeps everything wrapped up tight
Your Mama's as good a wife and Mama as she can be
And your Sister's puttin' that sweet stuff on everybody in town but me
Your Brother was the first-born, got ten fingers and ten toes
And it's a damn good thing cause He needs all twenty to keep the closet door closed

Maybe it's the twenty-six mile drive from Zip City to Colbert Heights
Keeps my mind clean
Gets me through the night
Maybe you're just a destination, a place for me to go
A way to keep from having to deal with my seventeen-year-old mind all alone
Keep your drawers on, girl, it ain't worth the fight
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

You say you're tired of me taking you for granted
Waiting' up till the last minute to call you up and see what you want to do
Well you're only fifteen, girl, you ain't got no secretary
And "for granted" is a mighty big word for a country girl like you
You know it's just your Daddy talking
Cause He knows that blood red carpet at the Salem Church of Christ
Ain't gonna ever see no wedding between me and you

Zip City it's a good thing that they built a wall around you
Zip up to Tennessee then zip back down to Alabama
I got 350 heads on a 305 engine
I get ten miles to the gallon
I ain't got no good intentions

i know people hate hearing about the gay issues in life, and on here.  and unless you are gay, i can understand why you would not care or even think this is a fuss of a matter even making a print over.  i feel, and believe me i know how to know that i could be wrong, that this is an observation about a gay man . . . from a straight man feeling sorry for him . . . for being gay.  the stereotypes and sly references are there:  never being able to get married, taking care of the mother, beauty shops, rumours from women, "hoping there aren't people like bob anymore".  it is about a man who wrote a song who thinks that gay people hate being gay people.  that their life is somehow useless as someone with only two channels.  i'm still trying to understand the "he might kneel, but won't bend over" line.  i guess that is a crack at some of these "straight guys" who will let a guy suck their dick, but there ain't no way they're a fag.  oh yeah, and bob doesn't have any friends.  clearly the writer of this feels sorry for gay people, and why would they want to be gay at all if this is "their life."  the end.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 09:36:49 am by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer »

walkonby

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2009, 12:56:23 pm »
dear charlie, mister japanese golfer,

your arguements are indeed valued, valid, and yes . . . thought provoking.  i like your interpretations of supposed lyrical meanings, and yes--me not knowing anything about coole or the band, besides the fact they rocked the house on saturday--what you said could indeed be true.  thanks!   ;)

"sexually confused in a red state small town"  that sounds like a great title for a john cougar mellencamp song.