Author Topic: The Best Remixes  (Read 35789 times)

Sage 703

Re: The Best Remixes
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2009, 10:21:42 am »
  since when is wikipedia, "for the record"???  this article was clearly written by someone as stupid as you. and it barely even mentions "remixes" until the end, where it seems to generify them into one lump category by people like you who dont really understand.

Where are these remixes that you can by at the store...i'd love to hear them! surely they're all over the net too! link em up. 

remixes and mashups have many small similarities but the differences lie in the basic form of creation and you jsut cant ignore that....however, clearly your knowledge in this field is limited, since you started a remix thread with links to a bunch of mashups!    

Well, "for the record" means just that.  You can cite anything for the record.  My point was that I'm not the only person that categorizes as such.  There is a difference between being ignorant and you and I disagreeing.  I'm not ignorant - we disagree.

I'm not posting here to have my own music judged; I was meeting your snark with my own.  If you'd like, PM me and I'll send you a link.

Explain to me the "basic form of creation" that is fundamentally different between a studio created remix and studio created mashup, if you will?  The fact that it is two or more songs instead of one?  Beyond that, isn't the basic form of creation the manipulation of samples to create a new product?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 10:23:27 am by callat703 »

Sage 703

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2009, 10:23:08 am »
Can mashups be created on the fly?  I'm sure they can with the right equipment.  Can remixes?  Probably also true.  Can both be created in a studio and be way more complicated than that?  Absolutely.

How would you explain the Grey Album, Girl Talk, or that godawful Linkin Park/Jay-Z project?  Mashups, or remixes?  I think either distinction on its own is inadequate.

Look, just because somewhere down the line, people have "greyed" the line between mashup and remix doesnt give anyone the right to perpetuate that line of thinking. 

No - it does EXACTLY that.  Music isn't static - it changes, as do the ways in which we refer to and think about music.

Relaxer

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009, 10:25:55 am »
So is the Sugababes' "Freak Like Me" mix, with the Gary Numan "Are Friends Electric" synths added, a remix or a mash-up? Seems like its a little of both. Because it's awesome.
oword

Christine Moritz

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2009, 10:44:10 am »
I think my favorite-ever mashup is Evolution Control Committee's blend of Herb Alpert and Public Enemy, "Rebel Without a Pause."

Favorite remixes... hard to say, as remixes constitute a signficant portion of what I play.  Several years ago, Kid Loco did an absolutely exquisite remix of Talvin Singh's "Traveller."  That remix and others by Kid Loco appeared on the compilation "Jesus Life for Children Under 12 Inches":

http://www.discogs.com/Kid-Loco-Jesus-Life-For-Children-Under-12-Inches/release/2397

(It also had a domestic release, although discogs.com doesn't list it.)

sonickteam2

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2009, 10:49:19 am »

Explain to me the "basic form of creation" that is fundamentally different between a studio created remix and studio created mashup, if you will?  The fact that it is two or more songs instead of one?  Beyond that, isn't the basic form of creation the manipulation of samples to create a new product?

you know the difference. at least i hope.  in a remix one will generally create a new song using their own created material spliced with parts of the original work. mashups, you're just putting 2 already completed works together, not putting anything unique into it.

lets put it this way, putting two things together to make something else, doesnt constitute "creation" in my mind.

I will give you this, many remixers out these days are not doing anything more complex than a mashup. i.e. when Paul Oakenfold put a psy-trance beat over any rock song and calls it a remix.  

seems like with all of the computer programs available to everyone these days, people would come up with something better than that.  seriously.

oh and pm me a link.....

Sage 703

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2009, 10:52:02 am »

you know the difference. at least i hope.  in a remix one will generally create a new song using their own created material spliced with parts of the original work. mashups, you're just putting 2 already completed works together, not putting anything unique into it.

lets put it this way, putting two things together to make something else, doesnt constitute "creation" in my mind.

I think that's oversimplifying what people have done with mashups; I also don't feel like it gives enough credit to the people who do make very complicated pieces of art with other art. 

Do you feel the same way about mixed media fine art or collage?

And I will send you a link.

sonickteam2

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2009, 10:57:52 am »

we should probably start another thread for that, but no, i dont even think those are comparable to mashup.  (although i suppose if we were talking to someone who knew nothing, we could again assume they were!)

why are you homogenizing the world so much?

Sage 703

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2009, 11:04:11 am »

we should probably start another thread for that, but no, i dont even think those are comparable to mashup.  (although i suppose if we were talking to someone who knew nothing, we could again assume they were!)

why are you homogenizing the world so much?

We can hijack my own thread, its fine :)

But...why aren't they comparable?  Aren't they all essentially using other art to create new art?

sonickteam2

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2009, 11:09:17 am »

But...why aren't they comparable?  Aren't they all essentially using other art to create new art?

see what i am saying, we could go on forever until everything on earth was essentially the same. i dont subscribe to the school of just because things share a few similarities means that they can be compared as overall similar things.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2009, 11:14:46 am »
Remixes have always seemed like a cash grab to me. I don't think I've ever heard a remix that improved on the original, and most are much worse than the original.

its true, especially if you dont like dance music, since more than 50% of remixes are dance oriented, or maybe hip-hop.  if a rock band plays another rock bands song, i think they just call that a cover version (though a cover song is closer to a remix than a fucking mashup).

A remix is just that, re-mixed, a totally different version/feel to the song. Covers are usually just a duplicate of the original, sometimes with a little flavor of their own, but still, not a remix. :)

3MTA3

Sage 703

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2009, 11:15:20 am »

see what i am saying, we could go on forever until everything on earth was essentially the same. i dont subscribe to the school of just because things share a few similarities means that they can be compared as overall similar things.

Now that's just silly.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2009, 02:56:16 pm »
I always loved The Cure - Mixed Up.

The remix of 'The Forest' is excellent.
HeyLa

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2009, 02:56:43 pm »
double post
HeyLa

sonickteam2

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2009, 03:41:14 pm »

Sweetjoy

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2009, 06:56:25 pm »
From last year, but the remix really takes a sleeper of a song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOP37A1EhEs (Whitest Boy Alive - Golden Cage) and makes it wonderfully slick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMzs_3NxEEI (Fred Falke Remix)

Love it.