Author Topic: Arlen Specter to switch parties, giving Dems filibuster proof majority  (Read 13648 times)

Venerable Bede

Re: Arlen Specter to switch parties, giving Dems filibuster proof majority
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2009, 07:48:27 pm »
1) and i said, "but he's a "different type of politician," when it turns out he's just another politician."

You're right, one who effectively used the media to swing trade negotiations.  It's a very clever stance to get what you want by threatening to renegotiate a treaty forcing the other side to meet your demands without actually having to renegotiate the entire treaty. 

It proved very effective in his first meeting with Calderon.  He doesn't have to renegotiate NAFTA to get what he wants, he just has to have Mexico, and to a lesser extent Canada, think that he will.

It's a much different negotiating stance then we saw over the last 8-10 years.

yes, it shows that he's just a shill for labor and environmentalists upset at the relative success NAFTA has at increasing trade between the three countries; at least he appeared to realize that the u.s. was in a weak position in a re-negotiation, hence, we aren't going to re-negotiate nafta.  at least be honest about all of this- labor and environmentalists are largely anti-trade organizations, for different reasons. 

all obama got out of his meeting with calderon is a) yeah, we aren't gonna touch nafta, but b) we'll work on, maybe, someday, putting together another agreement to deal with the perceived failures of NAFTA (nevermind that congress, and obama signed, a law that violates NAFTA on mexican truckers; let me know when obama comes out and tells congress to send him a law to over-turn that language.  maybe it will be part of an omnibus bill that will fix all that other language in the budget and stimulus bill that he and congress supposedly read in two days, such as chris dodd's aig bonus language.). 

now, about those free trade agreements with panama and colombia. . . . . . . . .
OU812

Venerable Bede

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2009, 08:23:38 pm »
btw, this is a pretty funny story. . . .

FAA knew Air Force 1 photo-op would cause panic

OU812

manimtired

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2009, 08:49:27 pm »
uh oh . . . mannie went where he should not of gone.  i think a mod is in question for somebody calling another the "f word" even if they do misspell it in an attempt to downplay the meaning.  try the "n word" mister tired, and see how far that gets you.  ;)

indeed, quite offensive.  mannie is basically brain-dead - you expect him to understand such subtleties?  i doubt that a moderator will do anything - mannie has set such a low bar of what we expect of him, homophobia (as despicable as it is) is par for the course.  interestingly enough, his own party is slowly moving on without him (link)... yet another example of evolution leaving him behind.

and what he meant to post:

sorry man..i dont have the intelligence or the ability to write 5 paragraphs and justify myself to these morons. i'd rather just lol. 

keep on keepin' on, manimtired.

ok, back on track: about that Dem majority in the senate...

sweetcell...you are just boring and non lol-causing. you also worship at the alter of p-jam and the pet shop boys..why do you even post here?

your "comebacks" and "requotes" are on par with a 8 year olds. gtfo of the thread! 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 08:51:04 pm by manimtired »

manimtired

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2009, 08:52:34 pm »
uh oh . . . mannie went where he should not of gone.  i think a mod is in question for somebody calling another the "f word" even if they do misspell it in an attempt to downplay the meaning.  try the "n word" mister tired, and see how far that gets you.  ;)

indeed, quite offensive.  mannie is basically brain-dead - you expect him to understand such subtleties?  i doubt that a moderator will do anything - mannie has set such a low bar of what we expect of him, homophobia (as despicable as it is) is par for the course.  interestingly enough, his own party is slowly moving on without him (link)... yet another example of evolution leaving him behind.

sorry man..i dont have the intelligence or the ability to write 5 paragraphs and justify myself to these morons. i'd rather just lol. 

sweetcell...you are just boring and non lol-causing. you also worship at the alter of p-jam and the pet shop boys..why do you even post here?

your "comebacks" and "requotes" are on par with a 8 year olds. gtfo of the thread! 

also sweetcell thinks "homophobia" is repulsive but calling women the c-word is just a ok...he defended his "friend" for doing so in a thread made months ago. wtf?

sonickteam2

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2009, 09:15:26 pm »

i dont see why thats funny. 

hutch

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2009, 09:25:15 pm »
You guys got no sense.

The most important thing a president can do at this time is make people feel confident about things..this is difficult of course given the way the previous administration (republican) left things and handled governing...

And Obama is doing that..He is succeeding.

Unless you want to be standing in line waiting for a handout a la the great depression I suggest you wise up.

All this stuff about Obama promised he would be Jesus but he's just another politician is gradeschool material. Everyone knows politics is politics. You say things to get elected: thats getting elected/politicking. Then you do your best to govern in the way you deem best. Thats governing.

manimtired

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2009, 09:59:51 pm »
You guys got no sense.

The most important thing a president can do at this time is make people feel confident about things..this is difficult of course given the way the previous administration (republican) left things and handled governing...

And Obama is doing that..He is succeeding.

Unless you want to be standing in line waiting for a handout a la the great depression I suggest you wise up.

All this stuff about Obama promised he would be Jesus but he's just another politician is gradeschool material. Everyone knows politics is politics. You say things to get elected: thats getting elected/politicking. Then you do your best to govern in the way you deem best. Thats governing.
i sugget you stf "up".......LOLZORZ!

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2009, 10:11:09 pm »
The most important thing a president can do at this time is make people feel confident about things..
Really? Because I'm pretty sure GWB's numbers when it came to this in the months after 9/11 were through the roof. I'm glad to know we can rate his response to terrorism over the next 5 years by his ability to make people feel confident about what we were doing.

Most plans look solid until hindsight kicks in. Not saying what Obama is doing is wrong, just that "making people feel confident about what we're doing" is what got us into trouble in the first place.

walkonby

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2009, 10:24:42 pm »

also sweetcell thinks "homophobia" is repulsive but calling women the c-word is just a ok...he defended his "friend" for doing so in a thread made months ago. wtf?

you are correct "my friend" . . . i did once enjoi calling women that word, and i would also ramble endlessly on here about black people, thinking i understood them through microscope eyes.  then i grew up.   

hutch

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2009, 11:07:24 pm »
The most important thing a president can do at this time is make people feel confident about things..
Really? Because I'm pretty sure GWB's numbers when it came to this in the months after 9/11 were through the roof. I'm glad to know we can rate his response to terrorism over the next 5 years by his ability to make people feel confident about what we were doing.

Most plans look solid until hindsight kicks in. Not saying what Obama is doing is wrong, just that "making people feel confident about what we're doing" is what got us into trouble in the first place.

Thats an outrageous comparison! Talk about comparing apples and oranges!

Read what I wrote again: "at this time"

If people lost faith in the government  (primarily in Obama) we'd be heading into a great depression as it looked like would be the case towards the end of February.

Anyways to be honest I have zero interest in debating this stuff because the intellectual level on this board is about -as I said earlier- grade school..
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 11:12:28 pm by hutch »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2009, 11:45:10 pm »

the only reply you're worthy of: i've never done any such thing.  please prove it... oh, wait, you have neither the intelligence nor the ability to prove anything.

next...  yaaawn.
<sig>

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2009, 01:25:06 am »
seriously... funny is your word choice?

it is far from funny for those of us that live in NYC. Its downright f'ing scary - esp since we've managed to now have a plane go down on the hudson, a plane go into a nyc apt  since 9/11.

im sure if a plane was flying really close to some of the buildings in SF and you thought it might be going into them -  youd be thinking it was the farthest thing from funny.

im really appalled.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 01:26:42 am by xneverwherex »
HeyLa

Venerable Bede

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2009, 02:48:54 am »

it is far from funny for those of us that live in NYC. Its downright f'ing scary - esp since we've managed to now have a plane go down on the hudson, a plane go into a nyc apt  since 9/11.

im sure if a plane was flying really close to some of the buildings in SF and you thought it might be going into them -  youd be thinking it was the farthest thing from funny.

im really appalled.

that was exactly my point. . .someone, somewhere in the administration isn't very smart. . .
OU812

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2009, 07:06:58 am »
You guys are such fucking dweebs. Three pages of chatter inspired by Arlen Specter, all in one day.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2009, 09:17:01 am »

im really appalled.

that was exactly my point. . .someone, somewhere in the administration isn't very smart. . .

oohhh gotcha - yeah theres some real idiots in the administration.
HeyLa