Author Topic: Brandon Flowers...  (Read 10234 times)

Re: Brandon Flowers...
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 12:06:47 pm »
Stones, Beatles, Wilco.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 12:30:52 pm »
Well in the second division legacy league I see...

The Decemberists / Belle & Sebastian / Phoenix / Elliot Smith

elliot smith?  srsly?  the decemberists aren't there yet (but have potential).  B&S are too niche.

You can also add R.E.M. and possibly the Stone Roses

don't make our 10-year cut-off.

Wilco.

<sig>

sonickteam2

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 12:37:35 pm »

Selling out clubs, playing big festival appearances, and largely holding it down in a big way in a live setting - no matter how big the audience.  They also have two hugely acclaimed records - very similar to the Arcade Fire in this respect.

we'll have to agree to disagree then. Arcade Fire? as big as the Rolling Stones? not even in Canada.
lets not diminish was Flowers was saying here, we're talking biggest bands in the world, ever.

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 12:44:12 pm »
People are going to remember the Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, and Radiohead? Really?

I'm more than a casual music fan, and I couldn't name a Smashing Pumpkins song other than Rat in a Cage, a Pearl Jam song that wasn't on their debut, or a Radiohead song other than Creep or a few songs from The Bends.

I don't think the three of those bands will ever approach anything near Stones/Beatles status in the psyche of the general public, most likely because they didn't come out in the early years of rock and roll, when classic rock tastes were first being cultivated.

sonickteam2

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 12:47:04 pm »
People are going to remember the Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, and Radiohead? Really?

I'm more than a casual music fan, and I couldn't name a Smashing Pumpkins song other than Rat in a Cage, a Pearl Jam song that wasn't on their debut, or a Radiohead song other than Creep or a few songs from The Bends.

i think this says more about you than it does about them!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 01:00:38 pm »
Well in the second division legacy league I see...

The Decemberists / Belle & Sebastian / Phoenix / Elliot Smith

elliot smith?  srsly?  the decemberists aren't there yet (but have potential).  B&S are too niche.

You can also add R.E.M. and possibly the Stone Roses

Wilco.

Note:  I said second division....  For every Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys, Led Zep, The Who there are artists whose legacy is going to last for a smaller subset of people.  i.e. The Kinks, The Creation, The Hollies, Big Star, The Zombies, Love, Roky Erickson, etc.  There are also going to be cult legacy artists which Elliot Smith embodies.
T.Rex

Sage 703

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 01:24:04 pm »

Selling out clubs, playing big festival appearances, and largely holding it down in a big way in a live setting - no matter how big the audience.  They also have two hugely acclaimed records - very similar to the Arcade Fire in this respect.

we'll have to agree to disagree then. Arcade Fire? as big as the Rolling Stones? not even in Canada.
lets not diminish was Flowers was saying here, we're talking biggest bands in the world, ever.

Well, I think we're saying roughly the same thing.  I didn't say they were going to be that big - I said they have the potential to do so, given the level of excitement and interest surrounding them.  In all likelihood, they won't get there - but this is the crop of bands that are at least on the right pathway. 

Personally, I think its more likely that Arcade Fire ends up running a course like that of the Talking Heads, and LCD Soundsystem mirrors Kraftwerk - of course, this is assuming that they continue to put out albums.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 01:38:33 pm »
The Zombies, Love, Roky Erickson
'Nuff said!

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 02:34:47 pm »
The Strokes
(o|o)

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 02:54:08 pm »

The Strokes

You could interchange the Strokes/ The Killers/ Franz Ferdinand and each of their debuts into Sweetcell's comment.

if the killers has kept up the momentum they built on Hot Fuss, they might have been The Next Big Thing.  but between mediocre follow-ups and general douchiness... 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 02:58:12 pm »
thinking about it, franz ferdinand almost had a shot at it. 

I don't think the three of those bands will ever approach anything near Stones/Beatles status in the psyche of the general public, most likely because they didn't come out in the early years of rock and roll, when classic rock tastes were first being cultivated.

agreed that you really needed to be active in the 60's through 80's to attain god-like status, but PJ and radiohead will be remembered.  SP won't.

Note:  I said second division....  For every Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys, Led Zep, The Who there are artists whose legacy is going to last for a smaller subset of people.  i.e. The Kinks, The Creation, The Hollies, Big Star, The Zombies, Love, Roky Erickson, etc.  There are also going to be cult legacy artists which Elliot Smith embodies.

oh, ok, in which case you strayed off-topic:
But it is astonishing that when thinking of bands that will be remembered forever, Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, even U2, Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Pumpkins.....what band that has come out in the last even 10 years will ever gain that status? 

<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 03:00:09 pm »
You could interchange the Strokes/ The Killers/ Franz Ferdinand and each of their debuts into Sweetcell's comment.

agreed, although FF had two solid albums before shatting the bed.  killers only had one, and i don't have a proper appreciation of "room on fire".
<sig>

Sage 703

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 03:00:57 pm »
if the killers has kept up the momentum they built on Hot Fuss, they might have been The Next Big Thing.  but between mediocre follow-ups and general douchiness... 

To an extent, I think you can argue they have kept that momentum - they're still headlining big festivals around the world, they're playing small arenas; they just haven't made a jump to the full indoor arena level (Verizon Center, etc).  They're basically on the same level that Kings of Leon is now on.  I will give you that it definitely seems like Kings has more momentum than the Killers at the moment, however.

Sage 703

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 03:10:21 pm »

agreed, although FF had two solid albums before shatting the bed.  killers only had one, and i don't have a proper appreciation of "room on fire".

I think the biggest difference, however, is how the mainstream media has reacted to these bands.  The Killers has been generally embraced (singles from all of their albums have ended up on the radio), while the Strokes and Franz Ferdinand didn't have legs beyond their first albums.

betao

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 03:30:59 pm »
I think another band worth mentioning as having a spot in the future is Animal Collective. It should be noted that they have an incredibly rabid fanbase (almost comparable to Radiohead's) and are currently selling out their shows at an impressive pace. Their most recent album had a TON of hype surrounding it. You want an example of a band that is really gaining momentum, then AC is definitely one to mention.