Author Topic: Brandon Flowers...  (Read 10226 times)

Sage 703

Re: Brandon Flowers...
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2009, 03:35:48 pm »
I think another band worth mentioning as having a spot in the future is Animal Collective. It should be noted that they have an incredibly rabid fanbase (almost comparable to Radiohead's) and are currently selling out their shows at an impressive pace. Their most recent album had a TON of hype surrounding it. You want an example of a band that is really gaining momentum, then AC is definitely one to mention.

Valid point, but I don't see there being a prayer of Animal Collective playing anywhere larger than D.A.R. Constitution Hall.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2009, 03:36:41 pm »
To an extent, I think you can argue they have kept that momentum - they're still headlining big festivals around the world, they're playing small arenas; they just haven't made a jump to the full indoor arena level (Verizon Center, etc).  They're basically on the same level that Kings of Leon is now on.  I will give you that it definitely seems like Kings has more momentum than the Killers at the moment, however.

interesting that both bands are bigger in europe than in north america.

I think another band worth mentioning as having a spot in the future is Animal Collective. It should be noted that they have an incredibly rabid fanbase (almost comparable to Radiohead's) and are currently selling out their shows at an impressive pace. Their most recent album had a TON of hype surrounding it. You want an example of a band that is really gaining momentum, then AC is definitely one to mention.

disagreed.  AC was mostly blog-hype with some (unsustained) interest in the mainstream.  how many AC songs do you hear on popular radio?  none.  what size venues are they playing?  theaters and halls, not arenas and stadiums.  they aren't headlining big-name festivals.  their fans are indeed rabid... but there are too few of them, at the moment, to warrant consideration IMO.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 03:41:11 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

betao

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2009, 03:44:16 pm »
I'll give you that, but just give them some time. I'm curious to see how much hype there is for their next album, as well as venue sizes for their next tour. They sold out the club within 2 days of going sale - and this was before the show was actually advertised. I'm curious to see how high they'll be billed on festival lineups around the release of their next album.

BookerT

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2009, 03:48:35 pm »
i think you might underestimate AC just a bit. granted, they're much more likely to settle into the sonic youth/flaming lips career path/popularity. but if they hit their 95% PECOTA projection they could get to ... well, not radiohead level, but something approaching that. in any case, 20 years from now there's no question they'll be far more relevant than kings of leon or the killers. but that won't really be a select group.

Sage 703

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2009, 03:52:33 pm »
i think you might underestimate AC just a bit. granted, they're much more likely to settle into the sonic youth/flaming lips career path/popularity. but if they hit their 95% PECOTA projection they could get to ... well, not radiohead level, but something approaching that. in any case, 20 years from now there's no question they'll be far more relevant than kings of leon or the killers. but that won't really be a select group.

I might be underestimating - sure.  But I also don't see Animal Collective's music or stage show translating in a space much bigger than Constitution Hall.  Can you imagine seeing Animal Collective at the Verizon Center?  Or even the Patriot Center for that matter?  I'm better able to accept the idea that they could become a group playing sheds, but even then - that's a lot of people for a band whose music is designed to be avant garde.

I also think it is debatable how relevant they'll be 20 years from now.  Relevance is an interesting question in general, as it depends on how you define it.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2009, 04:36:51 pm »
Yeah Yeah Yeahs are getting there...they are definitely headliner material now.

Muse are not that big in the US. They don't have a platinum record here and definitely not a household name.

Arcade Fire has the potential.

Silversun Pickups, nope. I don't see them having a big future. And the 5.3 review of the new album by Pitchfork doesn't help...

Bands that may yet have a shot at it:

My Morning Jacket | The Arcade Fire | LCD Soundsystem | Death Cab for Cutie | Muse

I also think Silversun Pickups, The Raconteurs, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and some others have potential to go down that road, but it is too early to tell.

(_|_)

Sage 703

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2009, 04:54:17 pm »
Silversun Pickups, nope. I don't see them having a big future. And the 5.3 review of the new album by Pitchfork doesn't help...

Apart from the Arcade Fire (and maybe LCD Soundsystem, of the bands I listed), I don't think Pitchfork propels bands to potential stardom on the level we're talking about.  I can't think of an example of a band that Pitchfork broke that has gotten that big - am I missing somebody?

As for Silversun Pickups - as I said, I think it is too early to tell, but modern rock radio is all over them, and they're licensing their stuff everywhere.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2009, 05:01:31 pm »
Fleet Foxes and Animal Collective...but we shall see in next couple albums...

Apart from the Arcade Fire (and maybe LCD Soundsystem, of the bands I listed), I don't think Pitchfork propels bands to potential stardom on the level we're talking about.  I can't think of an example of a band that Pitchfork broke that has gotten that big - am I missing somebody?

(_|_)

mdh9857

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2009, 05:15:50 pm »
I think Green Day had the momentum, they are playing Verizon Center and seem to have a rabid fanbase.  But I don't think they fit the 10 year rule.

Matchbox 20 could have had a little thing going for them.  But not within the 10 years.

I see no way Silversun and AC get to this level.  I can hardly imagine a DAR headline show by them, much less an arena tour.  Even though I loathe them, Coldplay seems the only one that really has made it big recently.

BookerT

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2009, 05:21:33 pm »

I might be underestimating - sure.  But I also don't see Animal Collective's music or stage show translating in a space much bigger than Constitution Hall.  Can you imagine seeing Animal Collective at the Verizon Center?  Or even the Patriot Center for that matter?  I'm better able to accept the idea that they could become a group playing sheds, but even then - that's a lot of people for a band whose music is designed to be avant garde.

I also think it is debatable how relevant they'll be 20 years from now.  Relevance is an interesting question in general, as it depends on how you define it.

sure, i can imagine seeing animal collective at verizon center. i'm imagining it right now. there it is. i see it. damn, it's fucking empty in there! who booked this show?!?!

seriously though, say there are 1,500 people at an AC show right now and say there are 8,000 people at a KOL show. i bet if you asked everyone at their respective show if the band they were seeing was one of their very favorite bands you'd end up with roughly the same number of "yes" responses. i don't see AC losing any fans in the near future. i think they'll only gain fans, even if they don't make a record as good as "MPP" again. KOL/killers don't have that loyalty, or the overwhelming popularity of pearl jam back in the day. like, i know KOL pretty much sold out the patriot center, but back in like 94 PJ sold out the patriot center in a matter of minutes, and that was before internet shenanigans.

Sage 703

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2009, 05:37:55 pm »
sure, i can imagine seeing animal collective at verizon center. i'm imagining it right now. there it is. i see it. damn, it's fucking empty in there! who booked this show?!?!

seriously though, say there are 1,500 people at an AC show right now and say there are 8,000 people at a KOL show. i bet if you asked everyone at their respective show if the band they were seeing was one of their very favorite bands you'd end up with roughly the same number of "yes" responses. i don't see AC losing any fans in the near future. i think they'll only gain fans, even if they don't make a record as good as "MPP" again. KOL/killers don't have that loyalty, or the overwhelming popularity of pearl jam back in the day. like, i know KOL pretty much sold out the patriot center, but back in like 94 PJ sold out the patriot center in a matter of minutes, and that was before internet shenanigans.

It is an interesting question.  I personally think indie rock fans are much more finicky than more mainstream fans.  I think you'd probably have a larger percentage of people at an 8,000 person KOL or Killers show who would profess that ZOMG THIS IS MY FAVORITE BAND EVER than you would at an Animal Collective show, where you'd probably get a lot more qualification on any opinion.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2009, 01:15:54 am »
"Where Are They Now?"

Matchbox 20 could have had a little thing going for them.  But not within the 10 years.

(_|_)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2009, 01:50:36 am »
"Where Are They Now?"

Talk about a wet box of matches!

bearman🐻

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2009, 11:46:49 am »
I think the state of the music industry and people's shorter attention spans means that we won't see another band achieve the status of Beatles or Rolling Stones or even U2 for quite some time. Something needs to happen where the idea of an LP or CD or record or whatever returns to the masses and lots of people will actually make the time to sit and listen to an entire LP a la "Dark Side of the Moon". Maybe pot needs to be legalized in order for that to happen? I dunno.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2009, 02:25:05 pm »
I agree with him, I'm not saying HE deserves the credit but he's fucking right. It's mostly attributed to people NOT needing the radio to get new music all the time, it seems like a shitload of people stopped listening to the radio at the begining of the decade. Which is why 'Let The Bodies Hit The Floor' and a bunch of other shitty rock songs are still on rotation for 'modern rock' stations. Mastodon will never get played on the radio, maybe 10 or 15 years ago they would have but now bands don't need the radio to expand. Kings of Leon tried for 3 albums to re-create their success in the UK here in the US and it took 1 song on the radio to blow them up from 930 club shows to damn near selling out the Patriot Center. People who listen to the radio will listen to just about 80% of what's played on the radio and it's fucking sickening.
‼‼?‼‼