Author Topic: NYC Shows/Just Announced Thread  (Read 409764 times)

bearman🐻

Re: NYC Shows/Just Announced Thread
« Reply #720 on: September 09, 2013, 05:31:25 pm »
Great question.

MBV is near the top of my list of bands I have enjoyed for a long, long time but have never seen.

I like shoegaze. But I don't listen to it a ton and will admit I'm far from up to speed on bands that may come into town. But I'm all ears.  Who would you suggest?

Ditto. When i think of shoegaze, I don't just think of MBV. I go back to Ride, Slowdive, etc. Back in 1990 when I used to read The Face magazine (God, now I'm dating myself) there was an article about all the bands coming out that were in the "happy valley" scene...Moose, Lush, Curve, Ride, etc. But of course most of those bands are gone. So I'm curious what I'm missing and what I should check out that's more recent.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #721 on: September 09, 2013, 07:58:45 pm »
Aerofall, Loop, MBV, Nowhere, Ride, Swervedriver.  That's all gots on my iPod.

killsaly

« Reply #722 on: September 09, 2013, 11:11:03 pm »
From the 210 artists in my music library in the shoegaze genre, these would be my favorite of bands active in the last decade or so.  A few of them do not share much in common with MBV or Ride, as they might lean towards the psychedelic or towards electronic (Ulrich doesnt really use guitars, but he gets gazey as hell). Some are from Europe, some from Asia.  Some dreampop on the list.  A few of them can be found on my Bandcamp fan page (along with other types of music) at http://bandcamp.com/rougeriderhood (especially towards the bottom of the list). Here is a good group on Facebook for all things shoegaze: https://www.facebook.com/groups/117377114977962/

A*Star, Aarktica, Ac Berkheimer, [aftersun], Air Formation, Airling, Alcest, Alcian Blue, Amusement Parks On Fire, Asobi Seksu, bliss.city.east, Blonde Redhead, bloody knives, Broken Little Sister, Butterfly Explosion, Ceremony (VA one), Colour, The Daysleepers, Dead Heart Bloom, Dead Leaf Echo, Dead Mellotron, Dean Garcia, The Depreciation Guild, Electro Group, Engineers, Exit Calm, Experimental Aircraft, Film School, Foreign Cinema, Foxtail Somersault, Gliss, Glissade, highspire, i am your captain, INSECT GUIDE, Jennifer Lo-Fi, Jenny Besetzt, jesu, Keith Canisius, Lilac Shadows, the Lost Rivers, Lower Heaven, Malory, Manic Sheep, the Morning After Girls, NEVER, Nightmare Air, //orangenoise, Panda Riot, A Place to Bury Strangers, Ports of Call, The Radio Dept., Ringo Deathstarr, SACRED HARMONIC SOCIETY, Sad Day For Puppets, SafeAsHome, Scarlet Youth, School of Seven Bells, Screen Vinyl Image, Seasonscollide, Secret Shine, Sennen, Serena-Maneesh, Shana Falana, She Sir, The Sky Drops, Skywave, The Sleepover Disaster, Snow in Mexico, Soundpool, SPC ECO, The Stargazer Lilies, Stellarium, Sunsplit, Sway, Tamaryn, Tatuki Seksu, Team Ghost, Team.Radio, Tears Run Rings, Thrushes, Tribes Of The City, Ulrich Schnauss, The Vandelles, Vello Leaf, Vidulgi Ooyoo, The Voices, Weekend, Whirr, Young Adults, ZaZa, 93MillionMilesFromTheSun
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 11:13:09 pm by killsaly »

azaghal1981

« Reply #723 on: September 09, 2013, 11:48:42 pm »
Speaking of, you guys, seriously, what happened to Jaguar?

First Spiritualized show in DC without her in most likely decades last night just didn't feel right.
احمد

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #724 on: September 10, 2013, 06:20:34 am »
Looks like Jaguar is keeping Air Atlantic up to date, maybe you can get in contact via it.  And if you want to hear shoegaze that's the place to hear it

http://www.live365.com/stations/airatlantic

https://www.facebook.com/Air.Atlantic.Underground

http://airatlanticunderground.com/

looks Jag's Pinterest is active too http://pinterest.com/airatlantic/
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:23:28 am by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #725 on: September 10, 2013, 07:21:36 am »
I did see Dead Mellotron up at the Ottobar a few years ago and really enjoyed them.  There are quite a few others on that list that I've heard of....will need to get busy catching up.

Thanks for the list and the tip on the airatlantic.

killsaly

« Reply #726 on: September 10, 2013, 09:20:27 am »
No problem! And that is by no means a comprehensive list of the shoegaze/nu-gaze/dreampop/whatever bands that are around, just a few I really enjoy. 

Dead Mellotron is great.  Sadly, they are on hiatus.  I thought their last show could possibly the their LAST show, but it looks like it is just the last one for now.  Here is a free set of theirs, from the always great Mobtown Microshow series (you watch band record A live set in recording studio... Holds about 20 people. I saw this one with Joe and Az). http://mobtownstudios.com/dead-mellotron-microshow/

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #727 on: September 10, 2013, 11:57:43 pm »
Thanks.  Grabbed that and the roomrunner while I was at it.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #728 on: September 11, 2013, 09:42:24 am »
killsaly-  i'll stick with popular shoegaze....I know u hate popular shoegaze. stay underground, buddy!
(_|_)

Yada

« Reply #729 on: September 11, 2013, 10:21:22 am »
There's popular and underground shoegaze?

**head explodes**

killsaly

« Reply #730 on: September 11, 2013, 11:31:53 am »
killsaly-  i'll stick with popular shoegaze....I know u hate popular shoegaze. stay underground, buddy!
I NEVER said I didnt like POPULAR or ANY kind of shoegaze. I was ASKING about peoples' love for MBV while at the same time the shoegaze shows in DC are almost ALWAYS empty.   I think MBV is alright.  I dig Ride. I LOVE Lush and Curve. ETC.  I dig a ton of old "POPULAR" stuff, but that wasnt the point of my list.  My list was for more CURRENT shoegaze bands, ones that were touring and making music in the 2000's.  It wasnt a list of ALL shoegaze. 

killsaly

« Reply #731 on: September 11, 2013, 12:31:02 pm »
Oops i forgot Airiel, DIIV, and Technicolor Teeth for that list!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 12:33:48 pm by killsaly »

eros

« Reply #732 on: October 15, 2013, 03:19:46 pm »
Arcade Fire

10/18-10/19

(also 10/23-24 in Miami)
ʎɐʍou

DotTheEyes

« Reply #733 on: October 17, 2013, 12:57:27 pm »
A Tribe Called Quest will open Kanye West's shows on 11/20 (Barclays) and 11/24 (Madison Sq).  Q-Tip says it will be their final ever shows together, though this type of statement is always highly suspect.

emmanuel

« Reply #734 on: October 21, 2013, 08:35:20 pm »
Ennio Morricone (conducting! not playing)

Brooklyn, Barclays Center on March 23
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 08:38:03 pm by emmanuel »