Author Topic: Shins roll-call  (Read 9577 times)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

Shins roll-call
« on: May 12, 2009, 07:12:52 pm »
Any idea if James' consolidating of the band (as I imagine happened) has already taken place, or will this be the final go round for Marty and Jesse? I know there are some, let's say, mild fans of the band on this board, but I, for one, am going to enjoy this show. Saw them in 05, was great. Haven't seen the most recent album live, am definitely looking forward to it.

Five songs I want to hear most:

When I Goose-Step
Gone for Good
Girl, Inform Me
Australia
Kissing the Lipless

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: Shins roll-call
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 07:20:15 pm »
I'm going tomorrow night in Richmond. Would love to see your top, except for maybe substituting Girl On The Wing in place of Gone For Good.

fatskippy

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 09:37:48 am »
best live band ever

nkotb

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 09:44:13 am »
Any idea if James' consolidating of the band (as I imagine happened) has already taken place, or will this be the final go round for Marty and Jesse?

I'm pretty sure they're already gone, according to that Pitchfork article a few days ago.

best live band ever

Uh, what?

bearman🐻

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 09:50:21 am »
The Shins are totally hit and miss as a live band. I'm giving them another shot with this new lineup, we'll see how it works. Some nights they're awesome, other nights they're...well, let's just say that I wasn't impressed.

Top 5 songs:
1) Pink Bullets
2) Saint Simon
3) Caring is Creepy
4) Split Needles (alternate version)
5) Girl Inform Me

fatskippy

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 09:53:49 am »
best live band ever

Uh, what?

They are the best live band ever and I'm going to scream like a 14 year old girl if they play New Slang.  Shins, if you're reading this, please please please play New Slang!

bearman🐻

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 11:03:41 am »
Oh man, I don't know. Isn't that the equivalent of asking Jim Morrison to come down from heaven and perform the entire first Doors LP, and then get Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Keith Moon to do an encore with him?

Hmmm. Something tells me you'll be OK.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 12:53:35 pm »
According to Pitchfork, Marty and Jesse have already been jettisoned, and yes, James consolidated the band:

When we talked to Shins frontman James Mercer earlier this month, he confirmed that both keyboardist Marty Crandall and drummer Jesse Sandoval were out of the band. Here's how Mercer explained the lineup change: "I started to have production ideas that I wanted to do that basically required some other people. It's mainly about that. It's an aesthetic decision."

We don't know what Crandall's up to these days, but The Portland Mercury's End Hits blog has posted a hint about how Sandoval's spending his time: He's opening up a taco cart in Portland, Oregon! (And yes, the Mercury people already made the obligatory "these tacos will change your life" joke.) A publicist has confirmed that the report is true.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 01:31:47 pm »
back to the roll-call.....I'm in.

heather

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 02:44:56 pm »
me too!

BreatheCirca930

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 05:55:03 pm »
Cant wait.  ;D

yohansen5b

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 05:59:47 pm »
i found tickets.  i'll be there with my roommate.

i'm interested to see how they sound compared to their DAR show.  i liked them then but am pumped to see them in a smaller venue.

i'm looking forward to delta spirit as openers.  i've seen them as openers 3 times now and i like them more and more.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 08:27:46 pm »
Looking forward to the Delta Spirit as well. Heard good things.

The Shins at DAR just doesn't sound right. This band is totally made for small venues. Saw them at Congress Theatre in Chicago in 05, about as small as it gets for big indie. EPIC.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 11:21:36 pm »
Just got back. Really good set. No Kissing The Lipless, but other than that everything you'd expect to hear was played. Very heavy on Oh, Inverted World and the latest LP, as you might imagine.

The "new" band sounds really tight and it was a good show, but I couldn't help thinking that if they'd turn the instruments down about 25% and James sang like he did on the album instead of yelling half the songs, it'd be much better. But oh well.

Delta Spirit were OK, but nothing out-of-this-world. Kind of reminded me of Cold War Kids at times.

yohansen5b

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 11:25:01 pm »
Delta Spirit were OK, but nothing out-of-this-world. Kind of reminded me of Cold War Kids at times.

ha -- the first time i saw delta spirit, they opened for tokyo police club who opened for cold war kids.  this was just over two years ago at 930.  at the end of CWK's set, just about everyone and their manager came back on stage to sing the last CWK song.  that was pretty cool.