Author Topic: More Ticketmaster suckage  (Read 6349 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: More Ticketmaster suckage
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 03:18:43 pm »
gawd that would introduce a lot of variables into buying tickets for a show: number of tickets, section, and price range you're willing to pay.

"is this show worth $60 to me?  no.  $58.75?  nope.  $57.50?  still no.  $56.25?  getting there.  $55?  almost.  $53.75?  ok, i'm thinking about it.  $52.50?  well, if the seat is good enough, maybe"  etc.
<sig>

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 04:06:17 pm »

That's what makes it so AWESOME!

"I'd only pay $80 to see Paul Simon.  What?  He's doing Simon & Garfunkel stuff?  Ok, $95.  Wait, EARLY Simon & Garfunkel stuff?  Mmmmmm......$91.75.  How many tracks from "Bridge Over Troubled Water?"  +$3.40 for each track he does from that.  He's doing ALL of "Graceland?!?!?"  Oh, throw a tenner in on that! Oh.  No?  Oh, All of "Rhythm of the Saints!?!?!?"  Ok, I want my $10 back."

Brian

hutch

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 04:11:36 pm »

That's what makes it so AWESOME!

"I'd only pay $80 to see Paul Simon.  What?  He's doing Simon & Garfunkel stuff?  Ok, $95.  Wait, EARLY Simon & Garfunkel stuff?  Mmmmmm......$91.75.  How many tracks from "Bridge Over Troubled Water?"  +$3.40 for each track he does from that.  He's doing ALL of "Graceland?!?!?"  Oh, throw a tenner in on that! Oh.  No?  Oh, All of "Rhythm of the Saints!?!?!?"  Ok, I want my $10 back."

Brian

I'd take that seat for all of rhythm....

James Ford

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 04:13:26 pm »
This is what happens when we start mixing art with business.

All concerts should be free with a pass the hat policy.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 04:16:57 pm »

the business man in me thinks they would do the opposite - start prices high and then lower them as the show date nears.

variable pricing only works for shows where demand is a lot higher than supply.  show that don't or just barely fill a venue aren't going to play around with variable pricing too much.

In many cases I agree with you.  No doubt about it.  But many venues - and professional sports - already punish people for day-of-event purchases by tagging on an extra amount for late sales.  Will it discourage some?  Yes.  But it is an increasingly-common scenario to add more at the end.  Otherwise you encourage people to wait it out for their discount.

azaghal1981

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 04:38:03 pm »
I was just going to post that if this trend persists, I will have to forego shows at traditional concert venues as a whole in favor of house and warehouse spaces where the hat method is the prefered one.

This is what happens when we start mixing art with business.

All concerts should be free with a pass the hat policy.
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 05:42:34 pm »
what happens when they pass the hat and somebody throws their chicken wing bones in, like in that one scene from coming to america?

azaghal1981

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 05:54:07 pm »
Donations! Donations!

I thought it was the trash.
احمد