Author Topic: Yet Another Just Announced Commetary Thread  (Read 78694 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Yet Another Just Announced Commetary Thread
« on: May 14, 2009, 11:53:42 am »
Re: The Popularity of Blink182

Mark Hoppus has 450K worth of followers on Twitter and if he tells them all to twitter "AlligatorFarts" it's guaranteed to become a top trending topic very quickly.
T.Rex

gaaaaaaaaah

Re: Yet Another Just Announced Commetary Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 12:02:24 pm »
Doesn't surprise me.

I still think if it's at Verizon, it won't come near selling out.

But who even knows anymore?  This could drastically exceed sales predictions, or drastically undersell.  Neither one would surprise me, to be perfectly honest.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 12:22:56 pm »
Yeah, no offense, but this is going to be one of the bigger tours of the summer. I hate blink-182, and wouldn't go near a Blink/FOB double bill no matter how many weezer's they stuff between them, but this is carte blanche to print money. Go check out sites like absolutepunk.com that have hundreds of thousands of readers, and see how blink-182 is still voted their favorite band year in and year out. I'm not agreeing with it, but its about as bankable of a tour as I could imagine this summer.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 12:31:28 pm »
You're probably right.  I don't know, something about this said Patriot Center to me.  But I'm curious to see how well it does.  Verizon center would probably be a more financially lucrative option, which would be a big factor towards the tour coming there.

Maybe I've been in all the wrong places, but it just seemed to me like there wasn't as much hype as expected for Blink's reunion.

andyrichter

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 01:53:28 pm »
Yea, I can definitely see this at Verizon and if not selling out, being damn close to it. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 02:15:20 pm »
Also, a friend told me he saw this on MTV, and tickets will be $20-$60.

i think there is significant demand, but a large portion of their fan base is under 18 - i.e. they don't have a lot of money to spend on concerts and what with current economic conditions their parents might not either.  so they'll sell a lot of tickets, but not at crazy madonna/eagles/stones/etc type prices... thus limiting how much money they'll be able to print.
<sig>

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 03:02:57 pm »
According to Rolling Stone's website, FOB is opening two-thirds of the tour, and Weezer is opening the other third.

So it will not be all three of them playing at whatever DC area arena they end up coming to.

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 03:05:55 pm »
According to Rolling Stone's website, FOB is opening two-thirds of the tour, and Weezer is opening the other third.

So it will not be all three of them playing at whatever DC area arena they end up coming to.
Oh, that blows any appeal whatsoever this show had away, because you know Weezer will do west coast and we'd get the axis of suck that is Blink/FOB.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 03:09:33 pm »
More than likely.

I would have endured Blink/FOB to get a cheap, decent length Weezer set, but if they won't even come around here at all, then good riddance.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 03:19:15 pm »

wait, my understanding was that it will be all 3 bands at all shows, it's just that weez & fob will trade off who opens.  so west coast order = FOB, weez, blink.  east coast = weez, fob, blink.  as always, i could be wrong.
<sig>

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 03:23:50 pm »

wait, my understanding was that it will be all 3 bands at all shows, it's just that weez & fob will trade off who opens.  so west coast order = FOB, weez, blink.  east coast = weez, fob, blink.  as always, i could be wrong.

I should have worded that differently; I paraphrased the RS article.

Exact quote:
"But fans hoping to catch all three acts together on the tour, which begins July 24th, may be out of luck: Fall Out Boy are on board for two-thirds of the dates and Weezer will play the other third. Dates for the tour, and which bands are opening in which cites, haven?t been announced at press time."

So It looks like Weezer/FOB are the opening bands, and each show will have one or the other.

Smylie

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 04:46:16 pm »
All 3 at V-fest i'd bet

bkrome

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 10:50:25 pm »
All 3 at V-fest i'd bet

agreed

speaking of virgin is it definitely not going to be at Pimlico?

bjmoore

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 03:55:26 pm »
Not sure if anyones already said this: FOB is playing Reading and Leeds the weekend of Aug 28-30th, so I would venture and say Weezer will be the DC show opener for August 30th.

http://www.leedsfestival.com/home/

In spite of that, I still can't see myself sitting through Blink again.

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 04:29:38 pm »
That actually makes it more tolerable, expecially if the second stage headliner across from Blink was someone good. Blur? (I can hope.)

BTW, that mainstage lineup on Saturday at Leeds is sick.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 04:31:09 pm by Julian, Certified WEBLEBRITY »