Author Topic: The Reissue Thread  (Read 129205 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Re: The Reissue Thread
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2012, 03:46:59 pm »
And then there are the vinyls that come with a download card but only in MP3. Oh, they care about sound quality so much that they put it on vinyl, oooohhh. Here's yr shitty MP3, kiddies.
😐 🎶

atomicfront

« Reply #76 on: December 26, 2012, 03:48:12 pm »
How many neovinylists pay $30 for a record and then play it on a POS Crosley portable?

for a warped record at that...

I love records.. have about 10,000.... but new vinyl is overpriced and tends to be crap quality..

the bargains these days are in used CDs...even new cds... the new dylan album i found new for $6.99... the LP was going for about $30... even for a vinyl lover that was a no brainer

its interesting how soon new issues won't be on CD.. the new Black Crowes live album is coming out on vinyl and digital (MP3 format?)..no cd... this trend will accelerate as the sheeple continue dumping their cds and believing they have no value

actually most new vinyl is superior to the old stuff.  I buy a lot of old records and most of the stuff from the 70's and 80's is pretty thin and flexible.  Most new stuff is pretty thick stuff.

as for CD's, I never liked them.  sound quality was always crap.  same with mp3's.  and I have a pretty decent set-up to play vinyl.  But mp3's are at least convienent.  cd's are the worst.

hutch

« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2012, 03:58:52 pm »
How many neovinylists pay $30 for a record and then play it on a POS Crosley portable?

I love records.. have about 10,000.... but new vinyl is overpriced and tends to be crap quality..

the bargains these days are in used CDs...even new cds... the new dylan album i found new for $6.99... the LP was going for about $30... even for a vinyl lover that was a no brainer

its interesting how soon new issues won't be on CD.. the new Black Crowes live album is coming out on vinyl and digital (MP3 format?)..no cd... this trend will accelerate as the sheeple continue dumping their cds and believing they have no value

actually most new vinyl is superior to the old stuff.  I buy a lot of old records and most of the stuff from the 70's and 80's is pretty thin and flexible.  Most new stuff is pretty thick stuff.

nothing that wrong with thin vinyl .. i do not believe a record sounds better because the vinyl is heavy

what i find with too much new vinyl are warps...i remember an order i placed with matador where out of 4 or 5 records 2 were warped... yes you can send it back and get another but its a pain.

also of course they are not going to sound as good as old vinyl because they are simply , 99% of the time, taking the digital files and pressing it onto vinyl... I still like it sometimes.. and sometimes it sounds better than CD counterparts which are brickwalled

but something recorded analog and pressed on vinyl as happened in the 70s i'll take that over the new process

moreover, much thin vinyl still sounded killer in the 70s.. the original Bowie RCA super thin or Iggy Pop super thin issues on the much despised dyanflex sound fine... it can warp easily..that is true.. but dynaflex was not the norm.

of course people who buy new issue on vinyl have to convince themselves there is a reason they are paying such a big premium.. i get that... but even as a vinyl lover I just don't think much of new vinyl in general.

atomicfront

« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2012, 04:05:19 pm »

nothing that wrong with thin vinyl .. i do not believe a record sounds better because the vinyl is heavy

what i find with too much new vinyl are warps...i remember an order i placed with matador where out of 4 or 5 records 2 were warped... yes you can send it back and get another but its a pain.

also of course they are not going to sound as good as old vinyl because they are simply , 99% of the time, taking the digital files and pressing it onto vinyl... I still like it sometimes.. and sometimes it sounds better than CD counterparts which are brickwalled

but something recorded analog and pressed on vinyl as happened in the 70s i'll take that over the new process

moreover, much thin vinyl still sounded killer in the 70s.. the original Bowie RCA super thin or Iggy Pop super thin issues on the much despised dyanflex sound fine... it can warp easily..that is true.. but dynaflex was not the norm.

of course people who buy new issue on vinyl have to convince themselves there is a reason they are paying such a big premium.. i get that... but even as a vinyl lover I just don't think much of new vinyl in general.

how am i paying a premium. most new albums are 14.99.  At least I have something of substance. If you buy the mp3s you have nothing and pay 9.99.  Anyway I am not going to argue.

the reason that cd's will no longer exist is that cd is shitty quality. it is sampled.  So if you want that there is no reason to get a cd.  Eventually we will have digital files that are better than cd quality.  So CD's are headed for the junk pile. 

hutch

« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2012, 04:13:15 pm »

how am i paying a premium. most new albums are 14.99.  At least I have something of substance. If you buy the mp3s you have nothing and pay 9.99.  Anyway I am not going to argue.

the reason that cd's will no longer exist is that cd is shitty quality. it is sampled.  So if you want that there is no reason to get a cd.  Eventually we will have digital files that are better than cd quality.  So CD's are headed for the junk pile. 

most new vinyl is more like $20 to $30 actually...  go to amazon and see the top 100 sellers...

problem with digital files is they don't provide anything other than the freakin' files. where is the album art? the liner notes? the stuff you can peruse giving you some context about what you're actually listening to?

of course i Love vinyl more than cds.. i have 10K records and only recently bought CDs because the sheeple are giving them away..but to say they have no value? a five cd box set of the Carter Family complete recordings has no value? well it has value to me!  certainly worth the 25 cents I paid..sorry if CDs are not hip! I don't give a flying finn about being hip.

When you find youself marching to the beat of someone else's drumming you should always think about it for a sec... remember all those that dumped the LPs because they "had no value".. sound familiar?

I guess I'm old fashioned.. I like to pick up the CD, look at the cover, peruse the notes, find out who did everything....of course I often prefer the LP version if it is available but  a "digital file" with that info is not the same for me.. same with books.. I get it that people think BOOKS have no value.. buy a kindle! throw your books away.. well, books have  value to me.. I enjoy reading them, opening them, heck yeah even smelling them..collecting them.. the works I'm in the middle of an Alexander Hamilton bio that is rocking my socks... I simply would not enjoy it as much in a kindle format

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2012, 04:35:21 pm »
Wave of the future?  Make your own vinyl.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2012, 05:02:31 pm »
Wave of the future?  Make your own vinyl.

Thank you for this. I've sent the link to ARSC. Can't wait to read their reaction.
😐 🎶

atomicfront

« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2012, 05:48:35 pm »

most new vinyl is more like $20 to $30 actually...  go to amazon and see the top 100 sellers...

problem with digital files is they don't provide anything other than the freakin' files. where is the album art? the liner notes? the stuff you can peruse giving you some context about what you're actually listening to?

of course i Love vinyl more than cds.. i have 10K records and only recently bought CDs because the sheeple are giving them away..but to say they have no value? a five cd box set of the Carter Family complete recordings has no value? well it has value to me!  certainly worth the 25 cents I paid..sorry if CDs are not hip! I don't give a flying finn about being hip.

When you find youself marching to the beat of someone else's drumming you should always think about it for a sec... remember all those that dumped the LPs because they "had no value".. sound familiar?

I guess I'm old fashioned.. I like to pick up the CD, look at the cover, peruse the notes, find out who did everything....of course I often prefer the LP version if it is available but  a "digital file" with that info is not the same for me.. same with books.. I get it that people think BOOKS have no value.. buy a kindle! throw your books away.. well, books have  value to me.. I enjoy reading them, opening them, heck yeah even smelling them..collecting them.. the works I'm in the middle of an Alexander Hamilton bio that is rocking my socks... I simply would not enjoy it as much in a kindle format

well i don't buy my vinyl at amazon.  I buy at the local record store where music that I like tends to be 14.95.  and i buy a lot of used stuff a lot of which i picked up for a couple of bucks.  For used stuff i inspect the record before buying.  You can get stuff that looks like new. 

CD art is pretty small and poor quality.  if you want the artwork it is a simple decision get the album.  I never really liked cd's.  I was disappointed when they first came out because the quality was worse than vinyl and cd's aren't very durable either.  I am about the last person worried about what is trendy.

I actually appreciate that it has become trendy becuase I can get everything on vinyl that I want to listen to these days.  A few years back it was pretty hard to get a lot of stuff on vinyl. 

hutch

« Reply #83 on: December 26, 2012, 06:26:06 pm »

well i don't buy my vinyl at amazon.  I buy at the local record store where music that I like tends to be 14.95.  and i buy a lot of used stuff a lot of which i picked up for a couple of bucks.  For used stuff i inspect the record before buying.  You can get stuff that looks like new. 

CD art is pretty small and poor quality.  if you want the artwork it is a simple decision get the album.  I never really liked cd's.  I was disappointed when they first came out because the quality was worse than vinyl and cd's aren't very durable either.  I am about the last person worried about what is trendy.

I actually appreciate that it has become trendy becuase I can get everything on vinyl that I want to listen to these days.  A few years back it was pretty hard to get a lot of stuff on vinyl. 

stores cost more than amazon... of course support the stores.. i've kept a few afloat.

if you're talking about stores $20 is rock bottom. unless its an ep

actually a lot of lps are now 30. 40  or even 50 dollars... the new beck sea change issue is $65.. the new nirvana insecticide is $54 i think

agree CDs aren't as nice as LPs but they're a whole lot better than nothing in my book which is what MP3s are

by all means let me know what LPs you're finding new .. .new issues ..for $15 at stores..

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2012, 07:01:45 pm »
Bumped from the previous page:

Big Star - Keep An Eye on the Sky 4-CD Box Set
$20.99 w/ free shipping for next 24 hours

😐 🎶

azaghal1981

« Reply #85 on: December 26, 2012, 10:47:27 pm »
Not sure where else to put this. A re-recording is kind of like a re-issue right?

http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/12/pulp-shares-new-demo-version-of-after-you/

Anyway, the lyrics made me cringe.

احمد

azaghal1981

احمد

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2013, 12:09:42 pm »
you posted something from pitchfork?  omg.  this is a new year.

azaghal1981

« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2013, 01:54:23 pm »
I don't have any problems with Pitchfork.

Well other than that my thinking their top albums list is BS.
احمد

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2013, 11:01:53 am »
😐 🎶