Author Topic: OFFICIAL Virgin Mobile FREEFEST 2009 Q/A - Hype Thread! REVISED  (Read 343504 times)

Dojokoto

Re: OFFICIAL Virgin Mobile FREEFEST 2009 Q/A - Hype Thread! REVISED
« Reply #690 on: August 30, 2009, 11:04:55 pm »
Just got back, the festival wasn't bad. It could've been better and more organized, but what can you expect from a free festival and the merriweather. Overall, descent. The blink 182 performance suprised me, and they performed well even after the hiatus period.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #691 on: August 30, 2009, 11:52:47 pm »
Well I thought the festival was great and very well organized, a very satisfying day of cool music, meeting friends, being able to move between stages easily and SHADE!   I was impressed from the minute I got there with how organized getting cars into the parking structures near the mall was. 

Kudo's to Branson and Seth and company for providing a great time, I vote more festivals like this at Merriweather.

Franz Ferdinand were a definite highlight, followed by a solid hits filled set by Weezer, Public Enemy were better than expected although I'm not sure what the point of having additional live musicians is if you can't hear them.  The best of what I caught was enjoyable, but would have been better seen in more intimate venues.
T.Rex

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #692 on: August 30, 2009, 11:58:22 pm »
Had a great time. Thanks, Seth!

wml7

« Reply #693 on: August 31, 2009, 12:03:41 am »
just got back pretty good for a free festival.  I didn't catch much stuff from the pavillion area.  I saw Mates of State and taking back sunday.  I wanted to see Jet but when I got back to the pavillion after watching a little bit of The Hold Steady it was like a huge line to get back in and it was taking forever.  I wanted to see Weezer too and at that time there was also a huge line to get back in.  Did people have problems with this or did they watch the show from the lawn???  I thought public enemy was great and Franz was pretty good.  Girl Talk I guess what can you say.  It's the same stuff every time but this time he has incorporated a forest of toilet paper and confetti.  I can see why the tree huggers are boycotting his shows.   ;D  How was weezer and blink??  Did the meetup occur at the 932?

oh yeah I saw Richard Branson walking around and he was pretty cool with taking pictures with people and everything.  Was Seth around?  Did he play drums with Blink?  ;D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 12:05:28 am by wml7 »

serpent boy

« Reply #694 on: August 31, 2009, 12:09:23 am »
I arrived really late, missed the National, and had to park a mile away, but I had a hell of a time. Weezer were great. Girl Talk was fun, even if it's not my thing. Franz Ferdinand was amazing.

Thanks, Seth!

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #695 on: August 31, 2009, 12:12:30 am »
Just wanted to say thanks to Seth and Branson for putting on an excellent, highly organized event.  Getting in and out of MPP was a breeze and I actually preferred the venue over Pimlico, it kind of reminded me of Bumbershoot the way it was setup.  All the vendors were very friendly and we loved the variety of food/beverages available.

Franz absolutely stole the show for me and they have got better each time I've see them.  Wale was also a highlight especially since he had UCB with him onstage.  Overall we had a great time, well done!

hutch

« Reply #696 on: August 31, 2009, 12:58:36 am »
Agree about Franz.. AWESOME.. why aren't these guys any bigger in the US? They put on a great live show and their last album TONIGHT is wonderful.. they deserve more of a crowd

I'd love to see Franz Ferdinand at the 930 again..

Weezer really delivered.... I'm not a huge Weezer fan but they sounded great, had  great video, and most of the crowd seemed to make them their focus

I thought Blink 182- what I saw- was embarassing.

I liked St Vincent, the Hold Steady and Public Enemy...

I'm not into Jet but they sounded real good on the are you going to be my girl..

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #697 on: August 31, 2009, 01:07:39 am »
It must be pointed out, that I saw a steady stream of people leaving the festival after Weezer's set,  I'm guessin' there were lots of DC area Weezer fans that were happy to have seen them kinda sorta outside of the blink-182 tour.
T.Rex

wags627

« Reply #698 on: August 31, 2009, 01:10:51 am »
Franz Ferdinand stole the show!!! They were amazing and they should play 930 ASAP. The entire day was a blast. The dance tent was was crazy too.

hutch

« Reply #699 on: August 31, 2009, 01:11:07 am »
also I forgot to add: props to Seth and the organizers.. the fest had a really good vibe going....no real issues.. would have been nice to have more places to fill up water bottles and also there was a lack of garbage cans around the second stage..but that was small potatoes.. overall very well organized and no complaints.

Cali

« Reply #700 on: August 31, 2009, 01:37:24 am »
thanks seth.

- getting in and out was a breeze and i didnt arrive until 4 pm. found a spot less than 5 min away at the mall.
-LOVED the fact that i didnt have to use port a potties.
- liked the shade and being able to come and go in the pavilion
- staff were nice as usual

only full sets i saw were weezer, national, and franz

the bravery were interesting. think i'd prefer to see them at the club

public enemy were good but there were too many assholes in the crowd. really, who crowd surf during public enemy? one girl was lucky she didnt break her neck the way she fell.

weezer and the bit of blink i saw entertained me. cant say i'd pay to see either of them though

national - i always enjoy them and i swear their lead singer is going to burst a vein one day lol

franz was great, highlight of the festival for me. i am now a fan and i cant wait to see them again.  please bring them to the club asap

on a side note, why were soo many people spending hours in line to get into the pavilion instead of just finding a spot on the lawn. i mean, yeah it's nice to be under the pavilion but you missed most of the show standing in line - what's the point?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #701 on: August 31, 2009, 08:11:26 am »
also I forgot to add: props to Seth and the organizers.. the fest had a really good vibe going....no real issues.. would have been nice to have more places to fill up water bottles and also there was a lack of garbage cans around the second stage..but that was small potatoes.. overall very well organized and no complaints.

I noticed this as well, lots of people just hanging out having fun...  And a second on having more drinking water available and as Hutch says especially near the second stage, it would also been nice to have another non freeip tent for people to chill under in the back of the second stage area.
T.Rex

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #702 on: August 31, 2009, 08:12:23 am »
I am really happy that so many people had a great time

that's what it's all about for me

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #703 on: August 31, 2009, 08:33:25 am »
on a side note, why were soo many people spending hours in line to get into the pavilion instead of just finding a spot on the lawn. i mean, yeah it's nice to be under the pavilion but you missed most of the show standing in line - what's the point?

For me it was a seat in the shade and much, MUCH better sound.  Biggest hassle in the pavilion was all the kids saving seats for friends who had gone out to get beers or whatnot.  Ushers did a good job of getting people out of the aisles and keeping things orderly.

I should have added earlier that St Vincent & the Hold Steady were the highlights for me.  Wasn't overly familiar with either act but enjoyed them both.

Both Weezer & Blink were better than expected.  Holy Fcuk were entertaining.  Bravery were ok.  That's about it for the acts I really liked.

Wish I'd spent more time roaming the tents and all but there were too many bands to see and we didn't have the luxury of 2 days to soak it all in.  Can't complain, though.  Had a blast.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #704 on: August 31, 2009, 08:58:42 am »
I really enjoyed the show.  Caught The Hold Steady, part of Public Enemy, part of the National, all of Weezer (from the lawn).  Left after Weezer. 

Very well organized show.  Parking was easy in and out, Staph and vendors were friendly (and plentiful).  Nice Hay Bales to rest upon as well (more hay bales next year).

My only small gripe would be that the sound on the lawn for Weezer was not loud enough, and/or the sound from the Dance Stage area was too loud and bled onto the lawn.  I was around the middle of the Lawn, and could not hear some the Weez or could not hear them well enough for my old ears anyway.

Seth - Can DC ever again get a Weezer headlining show?  Wasn't the last one 5 years ago or more at Merriweather?  and before that it was the Baltimore arena.