Author Topic: OFFICIAL Virgin Mobile FREEFEST 2009 Q/A - Hype Thread! REVISED  (Read 336904 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: OFFICIAL Virgin Mobile FREEFEST 2009 Q/A - Hype Thread! REVISED
« Reply #765 on: September 02, 2009, 09:13:01 am »
There is a survey about the festival on the website now, worth a quick run through to provide feedback about the venue and event.

Any chance of getting some archived performances on the website?  Would really like to watch the Franz Ferdinand stream again...

http://www.virginmobilefestival.com/#/home/
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #766 on: September 05, 2009, 11:53:16 am »
fun write-up about just how "free" this festiavl really was... i.e. very.  thank you, sir branson!

Rockin? In Virgin?s Free World

Conventional wisdom says that nothing beats free. Unless, perhaps, it?s free with benefits. While tickets to the fourth Virgin Mobile Music Festival at Merriweather Post Pavilion on Aug. 30 were, in fact, free, a few hundred music fans got serious benefits.

http://www.pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive/2009/09/04/687783.aspx
<sig>

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #767 on: September 06, 2009, 11:41:26 pm »
Somehow I ended up with a single, white, right-foot Chucks.  Anyone know where I can get a lefty to match?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #768 on: September 13, 2009, 10:49:10 am »
yet another good article in pollstar on FreeFest:

Virgin Fest Lets Free Ring

as the story points out, i appreciated that the sponsors were more than just a constant eye-sore - they really contributed to making it a better event.

suggestion for next year: don't make it a freefest, make it a cheapfest/highly-subsidized fest.  the fact that it was free prompted a lot of people to grab tickets and not go, they were never committed to going and it was no loss to them if they didn't.  also, it created a field day for scalpers.  $20-30 would still be a ridiculously low price for that much entertainment and would help mitigate some of the above issues.

</$0.02>
<sig>

Giles

« Reply #769 on: September 17, 2009, 10:19:28 am »
well I did show up at the 230 932...I got in about 232 actually.. but I don't know what any of y'all look like so I kind of looked at everyone, walked around and looked at the stuff on the walls and walked up... I didn't feel comfortable yelling "MEETUP!!!!!!!!!"

sorry about that..next time
I stopped by the 932 for a little while, but I'd lost track of whether there was a specific meetup time, so I didn't get there 'til 6:15ish.  I've never met most forumers, so I'm not sure if any were there then.

Overall, I enjoyed the festival, esp. (in order of performance times) Holy F*ck, Lee Burridge, Public Enemy, and Weezer.  I was a little sad that the dance stage was so dominated by trance music -- I found Pete Tong unlistenable.  I felt a little sorry for Chuck D that Flavor Flav got way louder cheers than he did when Chuck introduced the band.

I parked in one of the satellite lots and it was fairly easy -- took a shuttle bus to the site and then back.

that's odd, since his show on BBC Radio 1 is decent, guess DJ-ing 'live' he's different.  As for 'trance' - it's my least favourite dance music genre - the dance tent's lineup this year looked tremendously dull

betao

« Reply #770 on: September 17, 2009, 10:54:29 am »
I'll take trance over ed banger electro shit any day.

I didn't think the DJs were bad at all. I enjoyed what I saw. Pete Tong played a cool mix of Underworld's "two months off", that was a nice touch.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #771 on: September 17, 2009, 11:15:39 am »
i will never understand why dj's are famous, they just play other peoples music.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #772 on: September 17, 2009, 11:26:39 am »
if you enjoyed the weezer set, weezer.com will be selling downloads/cds of the freefest show and other weezer shows from this tour...

Giles

« Reply #773 on: September 17, 2009, 11:27:27 am »
i will never understand why dj's are famous, they just play other peoples music.

in my opinion they improve "other" people's music....  ;)

hemisphire

« Reply #774 on: October 21, 2009, 10:24:44 am »
The vfest set is now up for sale at http://www.weezer.com/live/.

serpent boy

« Reply #775 on: October 21, 2009, 12:13:14 pm »
I downloaded that Weezer set a few weeks ago. It's well worth it. Sound quality is good!