Author Topic: OFFICIAL Virgin Mobile FREEFEST 2009 Q/A - Hype Thread! REVISED  (Read 337639 times)

wml7

Re: OFFICIAL Virgin Mobile FREEFEST 2009 Q/A - Hype Thread! REVISED
« Reply #735 on: August 31, 2009, 04:48:45 pm »
I didn't have my great, just great shirt on, maybe next time  so any of you got converse it seems like they were just handing those out  ;D  Also did Richard Branson sky dive onto the top of the pavillion?

Christine Moritz

« Reply #736 on: August 31, 2009, 04:58:40 pm »
well I did show up at the 230 932...I got in about 232 actually.. but I don't know what any of y'all look like so I kind of looked at everyone, walked around and looked at the stuff on the walls and walked up... I didn't feel comfortable yelling "MEETUP!!!!!!!!!"

sorry about that..next time
I stopped by the 932 for a little while, but I'd lost track of whether there was a specific meetup time, so I didn't get there 'til 6:15ish.  I've never met most forumers, so I'm not sure if any were there then.

Overall, I enjoyed the festival, esp. (in order of performance times) Holy F*ck, Lee Burridge, Public Enemy, and Weezer.  I was a little sad that the dance stage was so dominated by trance music -- I found Pete Tong unlistenable.  I felt a little sorry for Chuck D that Flavor Flav got way louder cheers than he did when Chuck introduced the band.

I parked in one of the satellite lots and it was fairly easy -- took a shuttle bus to the site and then back.

Davyboy

« Reply #737 on: August 31, 2009, 05:25:02 pm »
I had a really good time as did my friends, BUT I do have a few gripes.

MERRIWEATHER..... I love that place when i'm actually in the pavilion.  but the sound up on the lawn sucks. Maybe someone can tell me if it's always like this because I rarely do lawn, but what was up with the sound? Guitars way down in the mix and the overall mix was just QUIET... I could barely hear the music on stage much less the banter in between songs. There should be some speaker system set up behind the pavilion for the lawn people to get the full rock experience.  When I can hear the drunken mess a few people over clearly talking about how much of a ho she thinks the girl a few rows down is over what should be the most raucous song of any bands set is not good.

The Video screens were completely out of sync with the live on stage.

I still would have preferred that it be somewhere that I could get the full GA experience (no seats)

Lastly...We had to park down near the Community College and the shuttles were no where to be found at least when we arrived or left. We waited for one for 25 minutes and ended up finally walking the 15 minutes to get to merriweather and walking another 15 -20 minutes to get back to our car at the end.

I know that sounds really whiny but really... Seth and Richard Thank you so much for a good time. My friends and I all donated to the re-generation fund and look forward to next years Virgin Fest wherever it may be.

hemisphire

« Reply #738 on: August 31, 2009, 05:38:00 pm »
> Also did Richard Branson sky dive onto the top of the pavillion?

They used a cherry picker to bring Richard Branson and some of Blink-182 up on top of the pavilion, then we waited as a helicopter climbed higher and higher and we watched a video feed on top of someone's head in the copter, then two guys jumped out of the copter.  It was cool to watch them coming down at the same time as we watched the live feed as them falling.  They pulled their chutes and managed to land right on top.  Richard Branson then came over to the crowd with them and sprayed some champagne, then welcomed everyone and said something to the effect of "Wouldn't it be nice if it was free every year?"

wml7

« Reply #739 on: August 31, 2009, 05:42:16 pm »
hmm wouldn't that be cool if Seth had done that and sprayed everyone with Guinness  ;D

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #740 on: August 31, 2009, 05:45:05 pm »
so overall, i had a fantastic time. i saw the usual crew at the 9:32 and around the place - the director, got haggis?, kosmo and sweetcell and mrs. cell

franz were the highlight of the show for me.
mates of state were good in the couple songs i caught of them.
the national were good times.
public enemy not too shabby.
st. vincent is gorgeous and rocks.

i have a friend who lives within walking distance so i was able to park in her community and walk over within 5 minutes. there was no traffic in or out for me either. the setup for merriweather was great, but man, the terrain is dangerous. there was basically no way i could stay on skates the whole day - which made me sad. hardly a gripe .. just personal :)

the event staff was pretty nice and helpful.

also seeing thatguy on the stage during girl talk was fun to watch. also the little boy dancing, adorbs. i'm sad i wasn't able to catch any of weezer, but i was in the front for the national/girl talk/franz and didn't really want to move. the west stage was a total win.

anyone who watched blink - how was travis in light of am's death?
nothx

betao

« Reply #741 on: August 31, 2009, 05:55:24 pm »
yup, and the wrong dates on the back.

it was totally possible that i said something to you, as i talked to people wearing NIN t-shirts (mainly just talking about the last shows they've done)

yup, a random person came up to me at the 932 and asked me about which show(s) i saw - must have been you (i answered that i was at both T5 shows).  there were 4-5 of us sitting at a table in the near corner on the left (near the stage) as soon as you walked in the 932.

dammit, planning fail on my part.  next time i'll let y'all know what i'm wearing or some other way of ID'ing the gang.

This was not me, as I never approached a group of people sitting at a table - my victims of conversation were mainly random people standing around by themselves. But it would've been nice to share words with you, sweetcell (same goes to the other forumers too!)

betao

« Reply #742 on: August 31, 2009, 05:56:42 pm »
betao, i think you spoke to me after the Holy F**k set...we also talked about MBV in Richmond....was that you?

Yes! That was indeed me. I claimed how jealous I was of you seeing TDS done front to back. I never even thought to ask if you were a forumer. Nice meeting you sir, hope you enjoyed the festival.

walkonby

« Reply #743 on: August 31, 2009, 08:01:35 pm »
http://www.tmz.com/2009/08/31/blink-182-cancels-concert-over-dj-ams-death/#comments

we didn't care last night . . . but we do tonight.  i guess it does take a day or two for tragedy to set in.

wml7

« Reply #744 on: August 31, 2009, 08:10:36 pm »
weird, I wonder why they didn't cancel last nights show as well

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #745 on: August 31, 2009, 08:57:32 pm »
weird, I wonder why they didn't cancel last nights show as well

have you ever seen seth?
<sig>

wml7

« Reply #746 on: August 31, 2009, 09:04:40 pm »
yes, he's a big guy.  I saw him play drums tutti fruti at last years v fest  ;D

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #747 on: August 31, 2009, 09:08:22 pm »
yup, a random person came up to me at the 932 and asked me about which show(s) i saw - must have been you (i answered that i was at both T5 shows).  there were 4-5 of us sitting at a table in the near corner on the left (near the stage) as soon as you walked in the 932.

dammit, planning fail on my part.  next time i'll let y'all know what i'm wearing or some other way of ID'ing the gang.

This was not me, as I never approached a group of people sitting at a table - my victims of conversation were mainly random people standing around by themselves. But it would've been nice to share words with you, sweetcell (same goes to the other forumers too!)

well, i might have been in line at the bar, or spaced out b/c miss p was going on about how kick-ass her roller girls are, or... anyhoo, i strongly suspect it was you but who knows.  we'll def make a more coordinated effort next time!
<sig>

Staralfur25

« Reply #748 on: August 31, 2009, 11:23:49 pm »
that was the best sunday ever!!!!!!!!!!
parking was hella easy. 
it was hot as hell..but the shade was a heaven.
the toyota tent...too funny.
street dancers on the orange cone stage...awesome.
got to see holy fuck///then half of mates of state. their songs get stuck
in my head.
jet/bravery/
the national was a surprise hit for me.
girl talk w as crazy...getting pushed around. oh well
pete tong. i was so wasted i just wanted to dance and i did.

too bad i didn't get to see one or two songs of st. vincent
all i heard was her say 1 2 2 1 2 2...eep. 

crab cakes..yummy

love it!!!!

wml7

« Reply #749 on: August 31, 2009, 11:30:25 pm »
haha yeah St. Vincent had sound check problems.  So for like 10 mins it was 1 2 1 2 and some other alphabets.  Was annoying but she sounded great after all that.  ;D