Author Topic: Just Announced: The Non-Mid-Atlantic & Non-NYC Edition  (Read 516259 times)

hutch

Re: Just Announced: The Non-Mid-Atlantic & Non-NYC Edition
« Reply #1680 on: May 22, 2024, 02:38:04 pm »
Meh

« Reply #1681 on: May 22, 2024, 03:48:19 pm »
Meh
well the only headliner I like was Pavement
actually only these others I'd probably catch: KurtV, Kim G, Courtney B ,Mercury rev, Ted Leo, Poly, LolXBudgie

some good names in there, I'd see these based on name alone
Squirrel Flower
Kultur Shock
Reposado
The Divorce
Flesh Produce
The Groovy Nobody
Linda from work
slack

Yada

« Reply #1682 on: May 22, 2024, 03:58:44 pm »
Could that mean some more US Pavement dates??

Crazy to think they're possibly more popular now than ever..

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1683 on: May 22, 2024, 07:58:16 pm »
lemme know if any of you attend this, i'm sure i'll end up at at least one day of this (assuming i'm in town)

weather in seattle over labor day tends to be pretty much perfect.
<sig>

« Reply #1684 on: June 03, 2024, 12:03:58 pm »

is it really the pistols without jonny?
slack

hutch

« Reply #1685 on: June 03, 2024, 12:13:07 pm »
I wish they would man up, apologize to Lydon, reach a compromise and move forward. One more tour would be cool.

Lydon has been through hell the past couple of years.

hutch

« Reply #1686 on: June 03, 2024, 12:18:47 pm »
I mean sounds like they are gearing up to tour with Carter…

This is an industry classic by now…how can anyone object to a charity gig? It goes well and then they announce tour

New order pulled this when they got back together without Peter Hook

« Reply #1687 on: June 03, 2024, 01:43:51 pm »
while you and I realize how important hooky is to JD/NO....but I imagine most people think he's just a replaceable bass player and never even knew he wasn't touring with them

can't imagine that people would think the same about the pistols

I would really like to see Generation Sex tho!
slack

Yada

« Reply #1688 on: June 10, 2024, 01:51:02 pm »
a few warm up Dr. Dog gigs prior to Red Rocks

bearman🐻

« Reply #1689 on: June 10, 2024, 03:32:07 pm »
while you and I realize how important hooky is to JD/NO....but I imagine most people think he's just a replaceable bass player and never even knew he wasn't touring with them

Funny thing is that Peter Hook live is way, way better than any New Order gig I've ever seen. He can also do Ian's vocals pretty damn well too. I'm excited to see him again over Labor day.

hutch

« Reply #1690 on: June 10, 2024, 03:43:58 pm »

Funny thing is that Peter Hook live is way, way better than any New Order gig I've ever seen. He can also do Ian's vocals pretty damn well too. I'm excited to see him again over Labor day.

So wrong bear man so wrong

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1691 on: June 10, 2024, 04:33:21 pm »
Gilmour
LA
10/25

« Reply #1692 on: June 10, 2024, 10:05:09 pm »

So wrong bear man so wrong
I wouldn’t go so far to say better than new order.
 But the JD i argue are better then Bernie on vocals also the vibe is way more intense

I would love to hear him do the bass lines on all those tracks…. Because that is some of the most distctive bass I know.  His son is really good but it just doesn’t sound the same
He does the intros and you can just hear the difference

I will likely attend that too
slack

hutch

« Reply #1693 on: June 11, 2024, 08:04:57 am »
It’s Barney

hutch

« Reply #1694 on: June 11, 2024, 08:38:19 am »
Every few years this debate comes up….

Peter Hook’s solo shows are nowhere in the same planet as New Order.

And he hasn’t released one new song of note since he started doing new order live while they came out with a fantastic album. There’s something particularly galling about him touring on the back of new order albums he has consistently bitched about. His argument is that there isn’t enough bass on Republic and yet he has toured it live!

It is true that Peter Hook brought a distinctive sound to new order. But it’s also true that Barney and Stephen brought the songs and that they progressed. Hooky drank beer, complained,  never learned any new tricks while Bernard built synths from premade kits and learned how to use them and Stephen learned how to program early drum machines. The way it largely worked - and nobody disputes this (read their autobiographies!) Barney and Stephen fiddled around with synths (mainly Barney) and drum machines (Stephen) and Hooky overlaid his bass lines. Then Barney improvised some lyrics. Live, Gillian played Barney’s synth lines and Barney played guitar. Stephen added live drums over the drum machine beats. Hooky played his bass. You do the math over who was the brains.

There has always been a tremendous amount of hypocrisy about Hooky: he derides new order because it fell under Barney’s control and then with his own bands - Revenge and Monaco- copied that very sound!!

Also if you read Hooky’s books you are going to come out of it thinking he is a jerk…a like able jerk but still.

And let’s remember how the breakup happened cause facts matter. Towards the end of their last tour in the 2000s Peter gave an interview in Brazil and said new order was over. Without consulting anybody else. He left new order. He wasn’t pushed out!! There is no dispute about this!