Author Topic: Decemberists Rollcall  (Read 5638 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: Decemberists Rollcall
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 05:30:29 pm »
loved, loved, loved the Heart cover. I must see it again.  ;D

I'll give this show an A+. Definitely one of the best this year. Let's not forget Andrew Bird's performance. He was soooooo goooood. What a vast improvement from the tour opener I saw in Philly!
(_|_)

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 10:03:10 pm »
The row directly in front of me was where Funk, Moen, Stark and Worden did their reenactment of Hamlet. Funk and Moen kissed with tongue action lol.

Great show, Bird and the Decemberists were amazing. I can't say the same for Robyn Hitchcock though.

Crazy on You was great but I swear if I see one more Decemberists show where they close with 'Sons and Daughters' I will go insane.

Hazards was great live and it honestly was better then I expected and I am a huge D's fan. The show may have been better than the time I saw them play with the BSO.

BTW, the Right and Left Loges were closed. is that what they do when they haven't sold many tickets?

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 01:29:34 am »
Engine Driver, A Cautionary Tale...I'm sold.

I'd give half of my left testicle for Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect live. A little more for Odalisque and California One-->Youth and Beauty Brigade.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 11:07:59 am »
I have to say after reading so many great reviews, I was worried that Radio City might disappoint. Fuck!!! Was I ever wrong! I was up in 1st mezzanine and had an amazing view. The stage looked gorgeous with the billowing curtainy backdrop. The show was hands down amazing. Without missing a beat they came on and played the album. We were all impressed with the quickness of it, and it felt like 20 mins but realized an hour had passed. Shara killed it onstage. She had so much energy and passion and her voice - I cant say im a huge fan of My Brightest Diamond but she was awesome tonight. She stole the show easily.

After their 'intermission', Colin came back and said he didn't want to talk too much about the greatness of Radio City - first time playing there - etc. etc and warned us there was a curfew. So he said it'd be less talking, more rocking (or something to that effect). Naturally, didnt quite happen.

Highlight of the night by far was Peter Buck coming out on the encore and playing 'Begin the Begin'. That was quite awesome. I appreciated Colin saying how he'd play the worst song ever written and ruin the image of the great musicians who grace Radio City and started singing Dracula's Daughter. (im quite sure the story was nearly the same when i saw him playing solo in w'burg - but its colin - im always charmed). The Heart cover - loved it!

The guitar duel during Chimbley Sweep was pretty brilliant. And on Billy Liar (although i might be wrong on the song) he decided hed divide up Radio City and we'd all have a sing along with the da da da. The orchestra was a big FAIL. dont know how they were so quiet downstairs. The first mezzanine was so loud it drowned out everyone else and the 2nd mezzanine not as loud. Pretty cool, but didnt quite work.

Only real annoying thing was pulling people from the crowd to help out in one of the songs. One girl couldnt play guitar at all and it was painful and the other guy was quite good. (prob part of chimbley sweep), but its all beginning to blur.

Easily the highlight of my year thus far. Of course theres songs Id have loved to have heard, but all in all - cant complain. Cant wait to see them again at Lolla.

loved, loved, loved the Heart cover. I must see it again.  ;D

I'll give this show an A+. Definitely one of the best this year. Let's not forget Andrew Bird's performance. He was soooooo goooood. What a vast improvement from the tour opener I saw in Philly!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:18:27 pm by xneverwherex »
HeyLa

Darth Ed

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 11:25:12 am »
Highlight of the night by far was Peter Buck coming out on the encore and playing 'Begin the Begin'. That was quite awesome.
Holy shit. Damn, why didn't we get that at the Merriweather show?!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 11:43:43 am »
I was up in 1st mezzanine and at first it seemed far away (and its not close),

far away is not close?!?

:D
<sig>

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 12:17:13 pm »
I was up in 1st mezzanine and at first it seemed far away (and its not close),

far away is not close?!?

:D

yeah ok - so clearly english is not my first language when im half asleep trying to remember a show. and if youre ever seeing a show in midtown avoid the mexican place on 44th & 6th. Everyone got sick from it.
HeyLa

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 12:19:30 pm »
Highlight of the night by far was Peter Buck coming out on the encore and playing 'Begin the Begin'. That was quite awesome.
Holy shit. Damn, why didn't we get that at the Merriweather show?!
because youre not New York! :D

and this is really cool - http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-decemberists/2009/the-fox-theater-oakland-ca-4bd61f9e.html

im reliving the first part of the show all over again.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:21:05 pm by xneverwherex »
HeyLa

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 12:21:44 am »
I did both the Merriweather show (from the 2nd row center pit) and the Radio City show and WOWIE wow...both shows kicked major ass.

I'm holding out that they'll do Shiny in the encore at one of these shows. I looooved hearing Sleepless at Radio City. They also do a killer cover of "Doll Parts" with Shara and Becky that they've rehearsed but not debuted yet.

Maybe they'll do it at Bonnaroo or Lollapalooza, or one of the 2nd leg dates in July/August.
Woof.