Author Topic: Dear Velvet Lounge (aka YOU SUCK):  (Read 29763 times)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

Dear Velvet Lounge (aka YOU SUCK):
« on: July 08, 2009, 12:49:22 am »
You think four fucking bands is too many to have on a weeknight when you're headliner isn't even coming on by the time the Metro closes? And I don't care if that abortion of a band, the Slipknot wannabes, were supposedly part of Deleted Scenes' act. That was a waste of my time and fucking money. Take that cover, those warm, overpriced Yuenglings and shove them up your fucking ass. I'll never patronize your fucking hell hole again.

I don't care how bad of a fucking dive you run, or want to have, at least have your fucking headliners come on before the Metro closes. Have some fucking professionalism.

I'll never bitch about 9:30 or the Black Cat ever again.

azaghal1981

Re: Dear Velvet Lounge (aka YOU SUCK):
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 01:25:30 am »
Dear Velvet Lounge,

Thanks for a sweet time last night. Both bands I caught during the SY aftershow were great and I enjoyed listening to a ton of classic psych downstairs as I waited during set changes. Although I attend you way less frequently than I used to, I almost always leave satisfied.

Sincerely,
azaghal1981

P.S. You don't suck
P.P.S. 930 have late shows that start right as the metro is closing all the time.
احمد

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 01:32:32 am »
You think four fucking bands is too many to have on a weeknight when you're headliner isn't even coming on by the time the Metro closes? And I don't care if that abortion of a band, the Slipknot wannabes, were supposedly part of Deleted Scenes' act. That was a waste of my time and fucking money. Take that cover, those warm, overpriced Yuenglings and shove them up your fucking ass. I'll never patronize your fucking hell hole again.

I don't care how bad of a fucking dive you run, or want to have, at least have your fucking headliners come on before the Metro closes. Have some fucking professionalism.

I'll never bitch about 9:30 or the Black Cat ever again.
You'd have a better argument if you understood basic grammar, such as the difference between "your" and "you're."

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 02:16:44 am »
the velvet does not have a policy of finishing before metro closes.  for this show i'm pretty sure they didn't make a special promise to that effect either.

the velvet is in the music business, not the transpo business.  if they want to go later than the metro, that's their prerogative.  it's certainly your right to choose to not frequent the velvet if its schedule doesn't meet yours, but whining like a bitch about something that they never promised only makes you sound like a spoiled suburban brat.

was this your first time at the velvet lounge?  they're notorious for running late.  if there are three or more bands, you're 99% guaranteed that the headliner with be on after midnight.  related to this is "the velvet curse", wherein the openers play to a larger crowd than the headliner because the headliner hits the stage so late that people have already started leaving.
<sig>

BookerT

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 10:01:01 am »
complaining about late start times at the velvet is like complaining about getting diarrhea after eating at taco bell. if you don't know better, it's your own fault.

walkonby

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 11:07:42 am »
if you drink yuengling . . . you have no right to bitch at anything!!

plus, stop taking metro, they text while driving:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/07/AR2009070703313.html?wprss=rss_metro

Christine Moritz

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 11:15:21 am »
plus, stop taking metro, they text while driving:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/07/AR2009070703313.html?wprss=rss_metro

This is really disturbing.

Presumably Metrorail (and Metrobus, for that matter) operators are texting on other occasions and just not getting caught.

:(

EDIT:  If anyone is curious about the footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXUSx_nji7U
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 10:44:31 pm by Christine Moritz »

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 11:56:23 am »
Yes, nobody works at 8 am in DC. Headliners should be going on at 12:30a, or whenever the fucking hell they feel like going on. Venues should start having six bands on weeknights. And "Show starts at 9" really means "around 9:45 or whenever we get around to it."

I guess I was most offended by the warm beer. I'll just bring my own next time, and not show up until 11.

I hope every car parked outside of the VL get ransacked and pissed in by vagrants.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 11:57:53 am »
You really don't have a valid complaint, except maybe the beer.

If there were that many bands playing, shouldn't it have been obvious that it might go past the last metro time?

You should have planned better.  If the show will clearly go too late for you...then don't go.  It's simple enough.

walkonby

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 12:00:05 pm »
thousand made up loves smells like brian.  interesting.

wml7

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 12:41:18 pm »
should have drove

killsaly

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 01:20:38 pm »
Ive only been once, but i thought the place was great, even though it was running late as hell that night.  I would definitely go back in a heartbeat.  I thought it had a certain charm. Plus any venue you can watch good bands and that is as small as a living room, is fine by me. 

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 04:11:37 pm »
  it's certainly your right to choose to not frequent the velvet if its schedule doesn't meet yours

That's exactly what I've done.  Their scheduling of bands and notoriously late start times has me down to maybe 1-2 shows a year there.   If it's not an absolute must-see show - forget it.

related to this is "the velvet curse", wherein the openers play to a larger crowd than the headliner because the headliner hits the stage so late that people have already started leaving.

That's not a curse.  That's poor planning.

babystew

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 05:00:10 pm »
Honestly, I think this is more of an indictment of Metro than of Velvet Lounge.  I mean, seriously, the latest train is at 11:52pm?  And this is the second-most used subway system in the country?  It just seems silly.

Besides, rock and roll is a late night thing.  DC is pretty rare among the cities I've been to shows in, with the fact that most shows end by 11:30-12.  I've heard stories from friends that the average show at the Cat's Cradle in North Carolina ends at 2am.  When I used to live in New York it was pretty common to walk out of a show at 1am.

So if Velvet is the only place in town that routinely goes this late, I think those of us that rely on Metro are pretty lucky.