Author Topic: Dead Weather tonight!  (Read 15824 times)

hutch

Dead Weather tonight!
« on: July 13, 2009, 11:56:51 pm »
Got home a while ago.. Just loved it... Jack White is the man and these guys rock out.. Heavier live than on album.. The guitarist is pretty phenomenal (Dean F) and the lead singer has some real stage presence...

The downside is for $35 we got an hour if that...They really should have charged $25 or had a marquee opener for that kind of time...

Jack White came out and played guitar on one song (I think just one) and the neanderthals went nuts when Dean had been playing amazing all night...There was definitely an effort to understate Jack White .. he was back behind a drum kit (sideways) but from the left side was kind of covered by the guitarist (good show to see from right side facing stage)....The lighting for almost entire show was very dark ..

They left stage after only 45 minutes! Then came back out and I think did two songs finishing up with a raucous New Pony (Dylan song they cover on album).. To hear a cover of a song from Street Legal is pretty cool but then again its right out of the Jack White playbook (with Stripes he did One more cup of coffee from another underplayed Dylan album: Desire)..of course its on the LP

Jack White- and now I've seen him with the Stripes, Raconteurs and Dead Weather - always puts on a great kickass rock show..

Hopefully they'll play a bit longer for the rest of you fortunate enough to see them tomorrow night.. Oh yeah they went on right about 9:30... we were home by 11 and I stopped by the merch table so that gives you an idea..some nice Dead Weather posters specially made for venue.. Some Dead Weather 45s.. Third Man Records shirts..lots of nice schwag

some other pieces of hopefully helpful information:

as predicted lots of extras out front being held by people with pained expressions...scalpers took a bath on this one..YAY!!!!!

a good number of people seemed to arrive late.. i guess they figured the show would not start til 10.. they figured wrong and they missed a good chunk.. let that be a lesson to you boys and girls to check the 930 website for showtimes...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 12:29:30 am by hutch »

azaghal1981

Re: Dead Weather tonight!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 12:22:00 am »
Yeah, everything you said re: the show was spot on.

The people nearly being brought to orgasm as Jack White switched to guitar were funny.

And while yes, it was a pretty good show, it was so not worth $35.

I enjoyed the opener, too.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 12:57:11 am »
i love to say "i told you so", so here goes: i told you so.
<sig>

Chulahoma

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 01:01:38 am »
the opening band was fantastic. get there early if you are going to the show tomorrow. you will not be disappointed.

imbecile

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 10:19:32 am »
Hopefully they'll play a bit longer for the rest of you fortunate enough to see them tomorrow night.. Oh yeah they went on right about 9:30... we were home by 11 and I stopped by the merch table so that gives you an idea..some nice Dead Weather posters specially made for venue.. Some Dead Weather 45s.. Third Man Records shirts..lots of nice schwag

Re: Posters..

Being that Jack White's involved, it's most likely a Rob Jones poster, which likely means it's pretty badass.

Anyone know if the club will allow me to bring in a poster tube so my goods don't get destroyed?  They usually just offer up a rubber band (blasphemy) and I've finally learned my lesson and will make an attempt at planning ahead.

heather

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 10:39:15 am »

Being that Jack White's involved, it's most likely a Rob Jones poster

you're correct.  and according to that forum, they are only offering rubber bands.

the show was entertaining, but i couldn't help but feel it was a contrived act.  we had a great vantage point though on the right side of the balcony.

kuldned

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 06:46:17 pm »
Tonights concert is live on npr. Consolation for those that couldn't make it or missed a ticket.  Wish they would also have the opening band on air too. They look pretty interesting, esp. the lead singer.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106385053

Live Tonight: The Dead Weather In Concert
Hear The Band Live Online From Washington, D.C., At 9:30 p.m. ET

July 14, 2009 - The 9:30 Club in Washington, D.C., will be ground zero for a blistering assault of explosive riff-rock, courtesy of The Dead Weather, in a full concert webcast live on NPR Music Tuesday. The newly formed band, a supergroup featuring members of The White Stripes and The Kills, is scheduled to perform at approximately 9:30 p.m. ET.

The Dead Weather is on tour to support its debut album, the ominously titled Horehound. It's a dark, swampy collection of blues-infused rock songs that sound as heavy as you might expect, given the artists behind them. The Dead Weather features White Stripes frontman Jack White on drums, The Kills singer Alison Mosshart on vocals, The Raconteurs' Jack Lawrence on bass and Dean Fertita, from Queens of the Stone Age and The Raconteurs, on guitar.

The Dead Weather formed toward the end of a recent tour for The Kills and The Raconteurs. Jack White, who also plays in The Raconteurs, had lost his voice to bronchitis and asked Mosshart to take over on vocals. The two loved the energy they had together ? as well as the new sound Mosshart brought to The Raconteurs' songs ? so they decided to record a seven-inch single together. After pulling Fertita in on the project, The Dead Weather spawned a two-week studio session in Nashville, Tenn., and a full-length album.

Horehound is out on Jack White's Third Man Records label, the same imprint behind The White Stripes and The Raconteurs.

MonkeyPants

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 10:49:52 am »

you're correct.  and according to that forum, they are only offering rubber bands.

the show was entertaining, but i couldn't help but feel it was a contrived act.  we had a great vantage point though on the right side of the balcony.

And overpriced, just like all the rest of their merch and the tickets to their shows.
PANTS

fatskippy

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 10:54:12 am »

And overpriced, just like all the rest of their merch and the tickets to their shows.

How can a poster be considered overpriced when it sells out and then goes for 4x face value on the secondary market?

Vas Deferens

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 11:27:55 am »
It's still overpriced. I mean, $30 for a poster? Just because Jack White is in the band doesn't mean they have to charge that much...esp. for a band that has one album!

How can a poster be considered overpriced when it sells out and then goes for 4x face value on the secondary market?
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 11:28:30 am »

when one equates "over-priced" with "more than i am willing to pay".  all depends on usage.  what is over-priced for one won't be for another - just ask julian.
<sig>

imbecile

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 11:35:27 am »
It's still overpriced. I mean, $30 for a poster? Just because Jack White is in the band doesn't mean they have to charge that much...esp. for a band that has one album!

$30 bucks isa pretty standard price for a hand screened concert poster.  When you start thinking of the big boys in the world of gig posters (emek, horkey, jay ryan, etc), $30 bucks is actually a pretty good deal. 

Yeah, it is kinda steep if you think it's an offset print, thin-papered piece of crap that you'd buy in wal-mart, but they're not.  It's limited edition, hand-pulled, custom work for a one-time event.  A lot of effort goes into designing, printing, shipping, etc just to get it to the venue in time for the show.  All those steps have fees and the end result you pay for all those fees plus a small markup.

Then you flip-it on the secondary market and pay for the poster, your ticket, your friends ticket and all your beer (..well, maybe not the beer, especially here).

hutch

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 11:51:19 am »

The Dead Weather 45s were available for $6 ... Also you could preorder the CD for $10! Hardly seems overpriced...

fatskippy

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 11:56:43 am »
Take a look at this site for rock posters/other artwork:

http://www.expressobeans.com/

As imbecile said, $30 for a screen print is very reasonable.  These aren't intended to be posters you tack up on your wall, they're collectors items.  The framing will end up costing you 4 times the price of the print anyway.  The EMEK from this years Rothbury sold for $125 at the merch stand.  Limited edition screen prints from someone as established as Rob Jones simply do not sell for less than $30.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 11:56:55 am »
it's always $9.99 during the first week of release in order to get high position on the Billboard charts...!  

... Also you could preorder the CD for $10! Hardly seems overpriced...

(_|_)